To Execute or Not to Execute, that is the question

Matah Moore

Member
I was curious to others' opinions on whether they condone the death penalty or not. Tennessee just executed (or shall I saw tried to execute the first woman in 200 years) but botched it up. As far as I know she's still alive on life support in the hospital. The crime she was involved in was horrendous. Personally (and I know it will never happen), I believe in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. I think if people who inflicted pain and death on their victims would have to face the same fate that they inflicted on their victims, that the crime rate would slow down immensely. The same with animal abusers. I wish that people who abuse animals would face the same neglect and pain they inflict on animals.
 
I am opposed to capital punishment, not because I believe that all of these people deserve to live, but because the justice system makes mistakes, prosecutors are too often motivated by convictions rather than justice, and it's too late to say "oops" after an execution has taken place. In reference to the woman you're referring to, she committed a horrible crime, but she was eighteen then, and while I don't believe that 18-year-olds should be excused or exempted from punishment, it seems pointless to execute her decades later.

When it comes to those who rape or murder children, you won't find me standing outside the prison protesting their execution, and if they are truly guilty, the world will be a better place without them in it, but I remain opposed to the death penalty in principle, largely for the reson given above. The justice system isn't always just.
 
I am a proponent of capital punishment. I also believe that prisoners are allowed to languish far too long at taxpayer expense.

And the irony of the woman in Tennessee being on life support. Really? Are they getting her patched up to try to kill her again? I heard a bit of the story as I was passing through the den earlier. Something about doctors and nurses not being willing to participate in putting someone to death, so the IV needle wasn't positioned correctly...?

Since many states now have the assisted dying thing there should be plenty of health care professionals that are fine with assisting in carrying out death sentences to make them more humane.
 
I\m opposed to capital punishment. As far as taxpayer expense, life in prison is way cheaper than all the money paid to the lawyers on capital punishment cases. I don't think the dollars are enough to matter but if you wanna save money, get rid of the death penalty. Plus, I much rather pay for the proverbial "3 hots and a cot" than millions in legal fees.

And in states that have MAID (medical aid in dying) laws, one of the requirements is that the person be able to self-administer the lethal medication.
 
Back
Top