To Execute or Not to Execute, that is the question

Tony, it would take a very cold , hard person to not react to cases like that.
When it comes to our children the urge to protect is great.
I often thought if anyone hurt mine i could kill them with rage with my bare hands.
And I think we can all relate to that.
It's a maternal/paternal instinct that we are born with ( always a few exceptions, granted)
I think we've all said at some time in our lives "I'll kill him /her" but very few actually mean it.

I see the woman in America from the botched execution is on life support.
 
You never know until it happens, of course, but I am pretty sure I could do whatever is necessary to protect myself or someone I care about. Then again, I might hesitate just long enough for it to be too late. Having never been in such a situation, I can't say with any certainty. However, acting in self-defense or in the defense of another is different than acting after the threat has already abated for the purpose of taking a life to make a point; that's not something that I would consider a good idea. I get it. If someone were to murder someone I loved, I would probably want revenge, too, but that wouldn't necessarily mean that revenge is a good thing.
 
Hi Ken, in my mind , and my actions would be this...
I see someone , as it's happening, hurting my kids or loved ones it's act first think later.
BUT, if the offended was caught and imprisoned I wouldn't be calling for the death penalty.

But that's just me , and I DO fully respect and understand why others agree with it .
 
A long time ago we had this guy Jack Ketch who carried out executions.
At Tyburn (now Marble Arch) in London there was the Triple Tree gallows. The condemned were said to Dance the Paddington Jig on Paddington Fair Day.
Paddington was a village nearby. A crowd of people came to watch public executions.
The three posts are marked on the road. Be careful when looking for them, there is dense traffic.
 
A long time ago we had this guy Jack Ketch who carried out executions.
At Tyburn (now Marble Arch) in London there was the Triple Tree gallows. The condemned were said to Dance the Paddington Jig on Paddington Fair Day.
Paddington was a village nearby. A crowd of people came to watch public executions.
The three posts are marked on the road. Be careful when looking for them, there is dense traffic.
Interesting David.
Quite local to where I lived was a famous hangman , Albert Pierrepoint.
He was quite "humane " in as much as he made sure the executions went smoothly and it was as quick as possible for the offender.
Incidentally he was the one that hung Ruth Ellis.
 
I don't know much about the laws of GB, but the fact that the king can pardon a murderer really surprises me.
Hi Beth, it was a Posthumous pardon due to the fact that maybe lots of considerations were overlooked at the time etc etc .
I'm not certain of all the ins and outs to be honest. Not studied it in great detail.
But yes, it's not usual for a monarch to get so involved .
 
How do you pardon someone that has been hanged? If they died from the hanging, then they aren't alive, so how can they be pardoned?
I mean it does rather defeat the object somewhat.
A bit like celebs that receive a Posthumous award after their death. It's nice but a bit pointless.
Although it might mean some to the family to know the king has pardoned her actions and basically saying she shouldn't have been hanged.
 
I mean it does rather defeat the object somewhat.
A bit like celebs that receive a Posthumous award after their death. It's nice but a bit pointless.
Although it might mean some to the family to know the king has pardoned her actions and basically saying she shouldn't have been hanged.
Lena Baker, an African American maid, was granted a full and unconditional posthumous pardon on August 30, 2005, by the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles. [1, 2]

Case Background
    • The Incident: On April 29, 1944, Lena Baker killed her white employer, Ernest B. Knight (a gristmill owner in Cuthbert, Georgia), after he imprisoned her in the mill and threatened her with a metal pipe. Baker maintained she acted in self-defense during a struggle over a gun. [1, 2, 3, 4]
    • The Trial: In August 1944, an all-white, all-male jury convicted Baker of capital murder after a trial lasting just one day. [1, 2, 3]
    • The Execution: Baker was executed in Georgia's electric chair on March 5, 1945, becoming the first and only woman executed by electrocution in the state
    The Pardon
      • The Decision: Sixty years after her execution, the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles issued a full pardon, acknowledging that the 1945 decision to deny clemency "was a grievous error, as this case called out for mercy". [1, 2]
      • The Ruling: The board noted that the evidence warranted a charge or conviction of voluntary manslaughter rather than capital murder, recognizing the systemic injustice of the original trial.
 
Speaking of people on death row for many years, check out this innocent-looking witch: She's 93; maybe they're waiting for nature to takes its course: She watched her victims suffer terrible slow-death agony from Arsenic - and she continued poisoning them in the hospital.
 
Back
Top