Random Political Discussion

At this point, I am going to predict that, in the upcoming federal races in Maine:
  • Susan Collins (R) will win reelection against Troy Jackson (D). She performed better than expected in a debate, and he, more predictably, did very poorly.
  • Former Maine Secretary of State Matt Dunlap (D) will beat former Maine Governor Paul LePage. Dunlap has mostly been known as a somewhat moderate Democrat, although he now supports the current socialist Democrat agenda wholeheartedly, while Paul LePage is a pompous ass who would probably vote with the Republicans, whatever the issue. He came off as an angry old man with a "Get off my lawn!" demeanor in his debate, while Dunlap remained calm. LePage made some good points, but the optics weren't good. District 2, while it is reliably red in presidential races, elected and reelected Jared Golden, a progressive Democrat whose positions were bad, from my POV, but whose optics were good (former military and ads at a gun range even while he votes for gun control). Voters tend to vote according to optics rather than positions or issues.
 
I got what looked like a personal letter today, so I opened it; I don't get a lot of letters anymore. It had a Maine return address for someone I've never heard of before, and it was about how important it was for me to vote for Matt Dunlap to represent Maine's 2nd District in the U.S. Congress, but it was postmarked from Oakland, California.
 
I got what looked like a personal letter today, so I opened it; I don't get a lot of letters anymore. It had a Maine return address for someone I've never heard of before, and it was about how important it was for me to vote for Matt Dunlap to represent Maine's 2nd District in the U.S. Congress, but it was postmarked from Oakland, California.

Since my husband is a registered Republican, his phone has been blowing up with text messages from dozens of "candidates." Our mailbox is also jammed with shiny mailers, so someone is spending massive $$$ on the mid-terms.
 
Back
Top