Little Known Facts That Might Interest You

50 some odd years ago when we first moved into this house, there was a stump shaped like a porpoise in the backyard. In the bottom of the stump there was a snake den, that housed ribbon snakes which are related to the garter snake. One time when I went in the backyard I saw what seemed like an endless stream of baby snakes coming out of that snake den, I was excited that this was happening on my property.
 
50 some odd years ago when we first moved into this house, there was a stump shaped like a porpoise in the backyard. In the bottom of the stump there was a snake den, that housed ribbon snakes which are related to the garter snake. One time when I went in the backyard I saw what seemed like an endless stream of baby snakes coming out of that snake den, I was excited that this was happening on my property.
I never knew till today, that a few snakes give live births. The garter snake has usually 15 and sometimes up to 80. I guess the Western Diamondback Rattler, also gives live birth, but only around 10 or so. I thought all snakes laid eggs. I guess these live birth baby snakes are on their own shortly after birth. They either go find something to eat or die.
 
A little known fact outside of Texas, is:

If you grew up driving Texas back roads, you know what that raised index finger means.
🤠

You meet an oncoming pickup on a two-lane farm-to-market road, lift one finger off the steering wheel, and get the same greeting back. Never met the fellow. Doesn’t matter. Howdy is howdy. :sneaky: Both hands have to be kept on the steering wheel, with just an index finger raised.

I stayed with relatives in Texas for a year so I could get my drivers license at 14. The 10 and 2 position was taught on those old vehicles with big steering wheels. In drivers ed, we could raise only the index finger of the 2 o'clock hand, when we met an on coming vehicle, that included farm machinery. Failure to raise that finger was considered rude, so it was part of Texas drivers ed. I still do it on the rural roads.
 
Back
Top