Halloween!

Beth Gallagher

Well-known member
It will soon be Halloween. 🎃 I remember all the years when our children were small, we went all out with decorations and costumes. Trick or Treat was a big deal in our neighborhood, and all over town for that matter.

Things have really changed, and it makes me a little sad. People seem to ruin all the good things I remember about growing up. The current trend of "trunk or treat" in a parking lot just seems kind of pathetic when compared to the miles we walked (unattended) to collect our Halloween loot.

Do you decorate for Halloween? And do you have many trick-or-treaters anymore?
 
I remember doing that when I was a kid, and we went all over town, and no one ever worried about us, or any treats we might be given. When my kids were little, it was so much fun to make costumes and let them go out trick-or-treating. We were in a larger town , so they just went in our neighborhood, but they still loved doing it, and I enjoyed making a costume to wear to had out treats to kids who came to our house.

Now, everything is different, and parents have to escort their kids, and only go to friends houses where they know it is safe. It is a really sad thing. We seldom have any kids come by here, so after a few years, we just stopped getting any candy, and now Bobby turns off the porch lights and closes the curtains, so they think no one is home, in case there did happen to be any kids out looking for candy.
We don’t desolate much anymore, and not for Halloween at all.
 
I do not decorate for Halloween anymore. I set a few mums and pumpkins out Fall decoration but that is about it. Some of my neighbors go all out. They decorate the house with orange Halloween lights and lots of creepy Halloween stuff in their yard.🎃

I never understood the trunk or treat thing either. Poor little kids don’t know what it is like to run from house to house all by themselves getting a sack full of treats. We never had an adult with us. They turned us lose in our homemade costumes with a treat bag to collect our sweets, and away we went! I guess the world is too scary now to let your kids run wild and have fun.

We do not have any trick-or-treaters come to our house anymore. Most of the little ones in our neighborhood have grown all up and moved away.
 
Back
Top