Vandals In San Francisco, California, Toppled A Statue Of Ulysses S. Grant

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Shirley Martin, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, there are no statues of Lenin or Mao in the USA, and in communist countries people who damage public property would likely mysteriously disappear without a trace, if you know what I mean. :p

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Did y'all see the video of the idiots trying to damage the Christopher Columbus statue, and the Sons of Italy (or whoever they are) decided "not today, Satan." :D:D Those Italian-Americans were kicking butt. Yeah.

3. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

My black friend Kevin and I have a disagreement on an issue related to the monument destruction and defacements. I make the point that when slavery was the norm, even in the north, that there could be good people (relatively good people) who also owned slaves. He vehemently disagrees, asserting that all slave owners were uniformly evil. I see his point and understand why anyone could think that; still, I disagree.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Are the black slave owners evil too? The Blacks in Africa that rounded up those black slaves evil? Probably history will show there was as many white slaves taken in this world. But it is all politico and has nothing to do with the truth.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that you have a valid point that there were good people who owned slaves, and treated them very well. Basically they had a job that gave them a home and food, and we still have people who are now called “caretakers”, who do about the same thing. Where the difference comes in, is that the slaves had no freedom to just walk away and leave if they wanted to, and taking away a person’s freedom .....ANY person.......is what is evil.

There have been people in all countries all through history that have been slaves, and of just about every race; so it is not like this is just something that happened for a while here in America.
    Even worse, is that human trafficking and people being sold into slavery is still happening today, and I think that it would show more caring for another human if we all worked together to stop the slavery that is happening now, instead of fighting and rioting about things that were in the past and no longer exist here.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020