The Movie To Watch

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Corie Henson, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

According to my husband, he like Superman comics when he was young simply because of the science involved in the stories. He mentioned a particular story where Superman was wounded. In the next issue of the comics, a reader questioned how the wound was inflicted since only the nail of Superman can hurt him like that. Well, the editor (probably the writer) replied that it was indeed the nail of Superman that did the damage to his skin.

Anyway, I'm also surprised how people couldn't recognize Superman and Clark Kent having the same face except for the eyeglasses. That's silly to me.

2. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

The fact that people in the series can't recognize Superman's true identity is something that is called (I think), plot shield. If everyone would recognize him, then the comic's plot would go south really fast, and given that that is probably not what the writers had in mind, it is behind a plot shield. It's the same thing that prevents main characters from dying in TV shows, especially prequels.

3. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

Does your husband like Star Trek, also? That's a good one for the science. Don't quote me, but I've heard from a couple of different sources that all the science in Star Trek, theoretically, would work if we had the power source like they have.

4. Corie Henson

Registered

My husband is a science fiction fan. In fact, he has a blog on science fiction and fantasy with stories that he wrote himself and had submitted to contests. With Star Trek, no, he doesn't like that far future. He doesn't enjoy Star Wars either for the same reason. Too far in the future is incomprehensible to him. Even that latest Terminator - Genisys, he enjoyed some parts but not all.

Back to Superman, the science is good for grade school but the drama behind is also for grade schoolers hence it is not much appealing for adults. But for the heck of it, another blockbuster is in the offing maybe because of the graphics this time.

5. Corie Henson

Registered

We saw Ant Man today in the mall's cinema. It is a science fiction movie that is also partly fantasy. But the concept is good since compressing an object to a small size will get a greater density and will result into unimaginable strength. Amid the science circling the scenes of the movie, the drama is still for children. It's a feel good movie that I can recommend to children, just don't expect too much logic because you might be disappointed.