Ready For Breakfast?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Helene Lawson, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

No, no Ken, Potatoes are not a breakfast food.:eek: I'm sure you meant to say grits.:rolleyes:

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Breakfast is what you make it....and you are what breakfast makes you!;) You just can't beat the breakfasts over at "Hi-GoodBye Coffee", in the Happy Talk Sub forum! Maybe I'll see you there! We're near the corner of Walk & Don't Walk!

571595940_af71f442ba.jpg download (1).jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Mmm, sounds so good scrambled eggs for breakfast. I'll add green onions to the mixture and fry it in coconut oil. Serve scrambled eggs up on toast with mayo. We add a little chips for breakfast at times. Scrambled eggs can be made so many different ways. Eggs right now is going for $4.99 a dozen locally. I wait until I find a sale to buy a dozen eggs. Sometimes if the weather is good I can find eggs for $1.99 - $2.99 a dozen. When it's hot like now forget it the prices go sky high. We do without eggs for a while until egg prices go down a bit.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I like some good old fashion homefries and onions for breakfast. Maybe some sauage and toast with jam to go with it. And a cup of hot tea is good.

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha,ha, Pat. Your post reminded me of a relative who was visiting here from Chicago. Nobody in Arkansas had ever heard of home fries.

We went out to breakfast and when the waitress asked if he wanted hash browns or grits with his eggs he said he wanted homefries. The waitress looked puzzled for a minute then said " how in hell am I supposed to know what kind of fries you have at home? Do you want hash browns or grits?"

6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Bizarre experiences (part seven of a series):

Scene: a small guesthouse where we were staying overnight en route to an airport.

At breakfast time, we informed the waitress that we were vegetarians, so could we just have scrambled eggs or something of that ilk. She said she would have to check. She went away and returned to inform us that it could not be done. The result was that we ended up with a full English breakfast. We simply left aside the bacon, sausages and black pudding and ate the eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes.

Something tells me that logic wasn't very hard at work that day.

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh that looks delicious! I just finished my toast and fried egg. I was having a poached egg on toast every morning, but I've switched to fried for a while. I'll probably move to scrambled next. I do swap out with cereal or something else occasionally, but an egg and piece of toast usually hits the spot. Today's not a coffee day, so I'm having hot tea with lemon, brown sugar (I'm out of honey), nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger in it.

@Sheldon Scott That cracked me up, thanks for the laugh.

8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Yesterday my breakfast was the hamdesal of McDonald's. I was in a hurry to an appointment so I just passed by the drive-thru and took that hamdesal with a matching hot choco drink. The bill was $2 in all. Arriving for my appointment, I parked and sat inside the car to eat my breakfast while listening to the radio. By the way, the hamdesal is coined from the words ham and pandesal - this is the morning bread that bakeries usually sell only in the morning hence the name. The ham is wrapped in scrambled egg with mayonnaise and honey. Yes, that's right, honey that gives it a sweet flavor.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Just got back from the store (8am) where I discovered bologna with jalapeno peppers embedded in it. I bought some and some sliced Muenster cheese and bread. Made a couple sandwiches for breakfast, with a mug of hot, strong coffee. Deeeelicious.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That sounds sort of like a variation on olive loaf, which I love. I lean toward chilies, rather than jalapenos, but that sounds like a nice breakfast. I had my usual fried egg on toast with just tea today.

I think I'm going to have to make a quiche soon, I haven't had one in a while, and it would be a good way to slide into the cooler weather. Here's a nice recipe I found that I might try. I usually just make up my own by tossing things I love together, but it's a little harder to post that on a forum ;). Unfortunately, there's no picture, but y'all probably can conjure one up.

IMPOSSIBLE GREEK SPINACH & FETA QUICHE
    6 oz fresh spinach
    6 oz crumbled Feta cheee with tomato and basil
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1 tomato, chopped
    1 1/3 cups milk
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup Bisquick
    1/2 tsp salt
    fresh ground pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 10" pie pan and set aside. Steam the spinach while assembling the other ingredients and chopping the onion and tomato.
    In a medium bowl combine milk, eggs, Bisquick, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Combine the spinach, onion, tomato and Feta and place in the bottom of the pie pan.

Pour the Bisquick, milk and egg mixture over the top.

Bake at 400°F for 25-35 minutes, until puffed and set.

Submitted by: Ardis LeBlanc

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/qt8oi14b/impossible-greek-spinach-feta-quiche.html

Tom Locke and Ike Willis like this.
  11. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I am generally content with boiled, poached or scrambled eggs for breakfast, Occasionally, in a rare fit of enthusiasm, I will get out the grater and a little flour, beat an egg into submission and make potato pancakes. I've had various versions and I especially like the Hungarian style, placki ziemniaczane, which involves a good dose of garlic. One great thing about potato pancakes is that they are good at any time of day; nice for breakfast or a light lunch or a delicious accompaniment to a glass or two of good ale in the evening.