Anyone For Lunch Or Dinner

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Terry Page, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe it's a Kind of stew made from Pork, onions and potatoes...looks delicious in the picture but I don't like cooked pork (apart from Bacon)...so not for me..

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a popular Georgian dish Mari, it translates to "Family Meal" and is basically pork, or sometimes beef or chicken, marinaded and served with roast/fried potatoes, not the healthiest of meals but delicious and filling.

Ingredients:

• Cilantro leaves 2 table spoon
    • Coriander 1 tea spoon
    • Tomato paste 2 table spoon
    • White wine vinegar 3 table spoon
    • Creme fraiche 3 table spoon
    • Lemon 1
    • Humongus garlic cloves 4
    • Onions 2
    • Potatoes 1 pound
    • Water ¼ cup
    • White wine ¼ cup
    • Pork 2 pound
    • Bay leaves 4
    • Salt 1 tea spoon
    • Pepper ½ tea spoon

Preparation:

@Mari North

Chrissy Cross and Mari North like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just give me a Prime Rib dinner w/baked potato and lots of sour cream/butter. Wife will have lobster and baked potato. We do, and don't, watch what we eat. Do, meaning to much sugar. Don't, meaning we love our burgers, fries, pizza and so on.
    And, don't forget the Bud Light!:)

4. Terry Page

Registered

Have been completely vegetarian for the past week or so, with home made curries and stir frys, plus a veggie cottage pie. Two bank holidays today and tomorrow, so we will be eating out. This usually ends up going back to some meat in our diet.

trgtgt.jpg

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Terry Page

Registered

Eating out today we had Ojakhuri a spicy pork and vegetable stew with Georgian bread
    [​IMG]

Ingredients
    • Cilantro leaves 2 table spoon
    • Coriander 1 tea spoon
    • Tomato paste 2 table spoon
    • White wine vinegar 3 table spoon
    • Creme fraiche 3 table spoon
    • Lemon 1
    • Humongus garlic cloves 4
    • Onions 2
    • Potatoes 1 pound
    • Water ¼ cup
    • White wine ¼ cup
    • Pork 2 pound
    • Bay leaves 4
    • Salt 1 tea spoon
    • Pepper ½ tea spoon

[​IMG]

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  6. Terry Page

Registered

Sadly this is not today, but from a photo I came across this morning, it's a feast of a lunch/dinner we had in Amsterdam in 2009, I have no recollection of it, but Lisa assures me we finished all the dishes and the beer ;)

amsterdam2009.jpg

7. Terry Page

Registered

Didn't have a lunch today sort of fasting, as I was busy in the garden, but did indulge in the traditional English junk food, a Chip Butty, with a bottle of Guinness, my Easter treat.

A Chip Butty is a chip sandwich.

The natural home of the chip butty is Britain (a chip butty is an exotic beast in the USA); therefore the term nearly always refers to a sandwich made from what is called a "chip" in Britain - a fried length of potato, a french fry, NOT the US version of potato chip ("crisp" in Britain,or "potato wafers" elsewhere). Ideally, make with home fries (fatter than French fries).

P1080988.jpg

[​IMG]

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

wow, a starch sandwich. where does the word Butty come from?

Terry Page likes this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Registered

I'll answer that one if Terry doesn't mind....the word butty is just a northern English a contraction of the words bread ..and ..butter...(butty)..meaning sandwich...could be a roll, a muffin, bread, ..or anything that would make a sandwich, but everyone in the Uk for some reason calls a sandwich with chips in it (fries )..a Chip Butty, regardless of what part of the uk they're from..

Terry Page likes this.
  10. Terry Page

Registered

butty
    UK English term for a sandwich, particularly said from Birmingham upwards. The London equivalent would be "sarnie".

Probably comes from the word butter.

Butty
    Not to be confused with a sandwich, a butty is formed by folding a single slice of buttered bread around whatever takes your fancy and is readily available (i.e. requiring no further preparation). In its purest form a true butty is filled with ingredients, in any combination, from a meal already underway. For example, if you are eating a "Full English" breakfast, you may butter a slice of bread and pile on any one or more of the items on your plate (e.g. egg, sausage, beans, black pudding, bacon, mushrooms). No food is excluded as a potential ingredient of a butty provided it is ready to eat at the time. The all-time favourite though must surely be chips (as known in the UK, french fries elsewhere).

Gorging on a butty is always a more joyful activity than eating a sandwich as it embodies the pleasure of mild gluttony, rather than being a technical exercise in meeting nutritional needs. The contents are selected in a spontaneous fashion and usually involve a certain excess, preferably challenging the structural integrity of the bread and hand control / oral capacity of the consumer.

Ruby Begonia and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

Today we went out for lunch to a favourite riverside pub about 35 miles from here..., the sun was out, it was a glorious sunny Good friday...and it brought lots of people out to eat Al fresco...although it was only about 10 degrees..

For lunch my o/h had Balsamic roasted figs and goats cheese and a walnut salad... and I had steak and Stilton shortcrust pie , with braised buttered cabbage and a red wine gravy... lol, you can tell out of the 2 of us who looks after their weight can't you? :D

I'll post some photos of where we went today.... tomorrow...I'm too tired now.. :oops:

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  12. Terry Page

Registered

lol you have two answers for the price of one Ruby, you should never forget what a chip butty is ever again :)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, Terry. I had no idea. I'm in the know, now. :)