What Is The Main Act of Nature?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

that threatens the area where you live? What safety precautions do you have for it?

Here in Ohio there is always the threat of tornadoes or severe wind, electrical storms. Just this past week there was an thunderstorm warning announced. The next day it was reported that a student at one of the universities was struck by lightning as he was walking through the parking lot. He was last reported in critical condition with life threatening injuries.

Just yesterday an electrical storm came through with big bolts of lightning and I shouted for a couple of people to take cover because I feared they were going to get struck.

When severe weather is reported coming our way I make sure that I have flashlights ready in case there is a power outage. The next thing I do is peep out the window. I'll see tree branches fall, dumpsters topple over, overflowing sewers and cars going what seems like 50 miles an hour with windshield wipers going just as fast.

There are a couple of safe spots in our basement to go to if danger is present. What plan do you have in place for severe weather conditions?

2. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

I am blessed to live in an area that rarely sees severe threats, so I do not have any plans - the worst we tend to get are storms so bad they cause our garden fence panels to come out, which I wish wouldn't happen... If only I'd bought a completely stone wall. The occasional news reports say that one of these storms has lead to somebody's death by a tree or something similar falling on them, which is sad to hear about. I certainly feel for all of you that live in dangerous areas. :(

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We live in an area where there is tornadoes, and a few years ago, there were some really bad ones that took the roof off of the house we were renting, and left most of Huntsville without power for about two weeks. We were in an outlying area, so we were one of the last places to get power turned back on again.
    We had some of those little solar lights along the walkway to where we parked the car, and that is what we used for lighting at night in the house. I would put them outside each day to charge up, and then bring them in at night to see with. They did not make much light; but at least we could find our way around the house, kind of like using a small candle would have done.
    Now, we have a battery powered charger for the phone and iPads, and a small solar panel that will recharge the charger if needed. We have a small propane heater, and hope to get a little burner to heat water up on.
    There is always the BBQ in the back yard if it comes to that.
    We are definitely not real prepared, but at least somewhat better than the last time.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Snowstorms, blizzards, cold. We're too far inland for hurricanes to hit us, and far enough north that the more powerful ones don't come near us anyhow.

5. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I live on a coastline that normally has a mild climate, but severe winter storms and high spring tides cause a lot of damage to seafront buildings and structures, as well as flooding, bringing down trees etc. When storms and high tides are due to happen, public warnings are issued and we are told not to go anywhere near to exposed areas when there are powerful winds and dangerously big waves. There are always some foolish people who ignore those warnings and put themselves at risk, also endangering the lives of those who work for the rescue services.