Vaccine?

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Betty Johnstone, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Doctors warn of unpleasant side effects of COVID-19 vaccinations. -- CNBC

Jim Brown likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Just got the flu shot an hour ago. The low dose. He asked me what the reaction was to the high dose that made me not want it. I told him low grade fever, chills, no energy, until the next morning.

He said, "Oh that's a common reaction to it." Not to worry.

I knew I wasn't imagining it. I'll take my chances.

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't imagine anybody who has ever had a serious case of flu not taking the shot.

4. Ken Anderson

I was sick for a couple of weeks two or three years ago, but so were people who had gotten the shot.

5. Shirley Martin

Registered

But were you so sick that you seriously thought you were going to die? Then so sick that death would have been a relief?

6. Ken Anderson

No, and I don't expect I'd get that sick if I caught it again, or COVID-19, for that matter. I felt pretty miserable.

7. Shirley Martin

Registered

You are older now and more vulnerable. Your immune system is not as strong. Good luck!:)

8. Ken Anderson

I think I'll do okay. I supplement my immune system during flu season. I'm more concerned with getting cancer again than with the small stuff.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Most people get Flu Shots, but every year my Wife and I get Influenza Inoculations, and we haven't contracted the Influenza during the 21 years we've lived up here in the High Desert.

Our Inoculations are administered in the Drive-Thru Clinic of our Desert Valley Hospital, free of charge.

Harold

10. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

We got our flu shot about 3 weeks ago....
    Absolutely no reaction or side effects at all..
    I have been getting the flu shot for the past 45 or 50 years and I never had any reaction to it..
    I have also never had the flu either..

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

It's funny.

-Some people get the flu shot every year and never get the flu.
    -Some people [like me] never get the flu shot and never get the flu.

And if either of us gets the flu, we will [rightly] chalk it up to chance and not waver from our position, and the other will be further solidified in theirs.

Just my 2¢.

12. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't see any harm about getting the flu shot at all..
    Some won't take it as they think it might shorten their life, but at my age, what can I say about that.. Its too late to shorten my life as I am already up there..
    I also took all other protections like the shingles, pneumonia, and tetanus….
    As you probably know, I had shingles earlier this year which lasted a total of 4 weeks and it was an extremely mild case.. Without the vaccine, it would of been a total nightmare.. All the shots were free except the shingles which cost me (I think) $75.00 for mine and my wife's.. Well worth it as you can see..

13. Ken Anderson

However, you don't know that. Using the same logic, I could argue that I have never had shingles because I have never had the shingles vaccine and that I would have died from the flu a couple of years ago had I had the vaccine. These vaccines wouldn't cost me a cent, yet I consider it beneficial to forego them.

It's a matter of faith rather than science or medicine. Whatever we believe about vaccines, we attribute value to whatever choices we have made. If we believe in the power of prayer, we will see answers to our prayers, and will generally accept it when the answers are not what we desired. When the results are not what we had hoped for, we can always fall back on the idea that it could have been a lot worse. Otherwise, we risk losing our faith.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  14. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If this is true, >>> (below) >>>
    a lot more people get shingles than I ever heard about.

"Shingles natural treatment is a really worthwhile topic, especially when you consider that every year, one million Americans experience a shingles outbreak.

In the U.S. alone, one in three people are said to be affected by shingles at some point in his or her lifetime."

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Posted here by permission of my rancher forum friend know as Leanin H. I am posting it just as he wrote it.

Since the pandemic began, I haven't had a day off. I’ve shown up 7 days a week to work and I have done whatever it takes to feed my family and to feed yours.

Ya see, I am a rancher. My cattle require care and water and feeding every day, regardless of what happens in the world. When you all went into lock down, I still went to work. When you all started getting unemployment payments to stay home, I went to work. When you went to the grocery store and found empty shelves, I was working hard to send beef and lamb and pork to the processor, so that it could be sent out to restock those stores.

You had a choice to stay home or go to work for a while. I did not. And I'd like to explain why.

I have had this bunch of cattle since 1997. I am a proud 5th generation rancher who follows in the same footsteps of my Great-Great Grandfather and Mother who started our ranch here in the desert in the mid 1800’s. It’s a challenge to make a living in a place where rain is often scarce and grass is hard to come by.

But my lifestyle is one based on freedom. I have spent my life outside, on a horse. My days start when the sun rises and some don't end until the moon is high. I do whatever it takes to ensure my livestock are cared for and looked after, rain or shine.

So when Covid showed up in all its glory, I did what folks like me all over America and Canada do every day; I put my head down and kept working. Lots of people in many vocations did the exact same thing. Police and Fire. Nurses and Doctors. Grocery store workers and Truck Drivers. We all just did what we do. Work.

I take a lot of pride in my work ethic. And I am not writing this for accolades or praise. I am writing this so that you folks who vilify me and others like me who aren't planning to be vaccinated might pitch me some slack. Back before the vaccine was available, none of you all seemed to care much that I was working and not in a lock down. In fact, many of the people I listed above were told they were essential and could not stay home.

So what has changed? You all still enjoy eating regularly right? And I am still doing my very best to provide healthy, nutritious protein to America and the world, Right?

The way I see it, if my work during the height of the pandemic was essential, it sure as hell is just as important now. I will never vilify you for wearing a mask or getting vaccinated. And I simply wish you might allow me that same respect and freedom.

There is never a set of rules or regulations that fits neatly over everyone. One size never fits all. While major cities most likely need mandates, those of us in rural America feel strongly that our independence and freedom carry more weight than some self-serving politician telling us how we ought to live.

Mr. Patrick Henry put it very succinctly when he said in March of 1775, “Give me liberty or give me death”! Can I die from Covid? Absolutely! Can the vaccine protect folks? Without a doubt! But to quote the Pro-Abortion liberals- “My body, My choice”! If that applies to someone doing something as serious as terminating a pregnancy, it should hold the same exact weight when I decide what I want injected into my body! I was essential/expendable for the past 18 months while I was working to feed you, un-vaccinated. I reckon not a whole bunch has changed.

Leanin' H

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021