Use Of A Mask

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

By lining the areas that will be contacting the skin. A thin amount should work so as not to feel too greasy. Of course after the outing you will either throw it away or wash it depending on the type of material the mask is and wipe the residue off your face.

You may just like to carry some along and apply it if needed, if you like fumbling around in the cold with no gloves on.

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

My mask is one of those that are reusable ones with a filter..
    Perhaps a scarf over my face would be the best idea and it might keep my face a bit warmer in the bitter cold..
    The other option which I am very seriously considering is ……. to stay home and not go out..
    That would be the most sensible thing to do....

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Those temperatures are below freezing so maybe the virus freezes and can't infect.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

You are right Ed.. Does that mean I shouldn't wear a mask outside if it is -35c ???? …. And that is the temperature, not the wind-chill factor...
    There will be hundreds and hundreds of people at these events and I believe a mask would be some protection from the out-of-towners....
    We are very seriously considering not going in order to stay safe...

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although mask-wearing is becoming so yesterday in most places around here, that is not yet the case with medical facilities and some of the quasi-medical programs that my wife deals with in relation to her recovery center, where many of them are still working from home. It amuses me when I see her on some of these Zoom calls, where at least half the people are wearing a mask despite the fact that they are working from home. Many of these agencies actually require employees working from home to wear masks whenever they are on such a call, despite the fact that they are sitting by themselves in front of a computer in their own home. I guess you've just got to follow the science, as we're told. Could they be worried about computer viruses?

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

If you take a drag on a cigarette, put on a face mask and then exhale, smoke will appear outside of the mask. Viruses are much smaller than smoke molecules.
    I just felt the need to have the last word.:rolleyes:

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

zyz·zy·va
    (zĭz′ə-və)
    n.
    Any of several tropical American weevils of the genus Zyzzyva.

THAT is the last word.

8. Mary Stetler

Registered

Well, thank you.
    too many z's for scrabble.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Depends on which edition you use...a couple of blank tiles were added at some point.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh, I think there's still more to be said and none of it kindly to those idiots id DC. How long did it take for the CDC to take down their call to mask up for Monkeypox, which is an STD?

11. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Ridiculous, and not true!

The FACTS: Covid virus is about .1 micron in diameter. The smoke particles that get through an N95 mask, when one exhales, are, about .01 micron, ten times smaller! Do your own experiment, if you're goofy enough to take smoke in your mouth: Suck on a cigarette. Put on an N95 mask, with no exhalation valve. Exhale. Look at the inside of your mask, afterwards. What you'll see is a stain, inside the mask, of the larger particles that got trapped. Those trapped, larger particles are ten times larger than the ones that went through, and they include particles that are about the size of Covid.

Incidentally, a fact that anti-maskers conveniently ignore: Covid travels in droplets from coughs and sneezes. Those droplets are HUGE compared to the virus, itself. Even poorer, pleated surgical masks block those droplets, provided they fit properly.

Y'all do what you want. I'm sure some of you will respond to this with "scientific" figures from nonsense web sites. No biggie.

I wear an N95 mask, OTJ, and have for many, many years. It does its job. I'll wear a mask in places where I'll meet those dumb enough to not wear one. It's a dirty world and getting dirtier. If you honestly think Covid is the worst thing gunning for H.sapiens, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona that I'm willing to sell you, cheap!

When the going gets REALLY ROUGH, I've got my P100 rig:
    20210727_183314.jpg

Mary Stetler likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Registered

Around here people were not wearing N95 masks. And the mandate did not require them. They were wearing bandanas and 10 for a dollar masks. Even going into hospitals where they met you at the door with masks they were not N95. Just masks. I saw all sorts of people with them below their noses. Especially kids.
    Everyone should stay home with respiratory infections and should have before covid! I hated seeing cashiers or WAITRESSES working with red noses and coughing!

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Around here, people wearing masks are nearly as rare as green martians with one eye and three buttocks. It seams everyone knows people who masked up, got vaxxed, boosted and then still got covid and they are not buying into the latest attempts to scare people. When you hear the story where the doctor said, "Don't ask me how long you should use a mask, ask the politicians."; just remember it's no joke.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Registered

Those martians scare me.:eek:
    But I saw the Prez with his mask pulled down over his chin, politicians at parties un masked after saying we could not get together for Thanksgiving, Kamala Harris and AOC in lots of photo ops...o_O

John West and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Do you know how many little children , women, and men have ever been harmed at all by any martians ? zero.
    Do you know how many little children, women, and men , and btw probably animals, wildlife and whole species have been harmed by politics, medicine, and corporations ? Billions.
    So who is there to be afraid of ? No one really - correct, no one.
    Jesus says do not fear those who can kill your body but cannot touch your soul, no;
    rather fear/respect-obey/ God who can not only kill the body but then can also destroy the soul too.

As per the question "Why face masks don't work",
    there's two sides at least -
    "Why face masks don't work" stopping any infection or lowering the death rate ? This is known and proven and readily available online published for years, but why? Remains a question unanswered to most people, and censored totally in the media.

The other side is
    "Why face masks don't work" .... .... .. . but they do work yes they do work for those making money from the debacle - they have cost the world trillions of dollars already, expect to cost trillions more in use and in the oceans and in the landfills and everywhere they are disposed of, and people in charge are bringing in the cash in humongous cargo ships never before seen on earth so huge.

Mary Stetler likes this.