Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Squirrels are even worse than goats about getting into things. They have been trying relentlessly to get inside that box, but none has succeeded so far. They've got the plastic coating chewed off the wires in several places. This is 16 gauge wire. I don't THINK they can chew through it, but they do chew through chicken wire (20-22 ga).

The tufted titmice, sparrows, and a bluebird know how to navigate the wire. A new one (Carolina Wren*) showed up yesterday and went in. The titmice pick at the suet blocks until all the other birds are gone, then hop into the box, grab a peanut, and take off ASAP. They are NOT about to show others how it's done.

It's only a matter of time until the squirrels start chewing through the box. There is a noticeable reduction in traffic of even the small birds. So it's time to get busy making a permanent feeder. I'm not enthused about building this for some reason. Too many things to think about. I don't know where to start.

*Carolina Wren (stock photo). Doesn't he have pretty colors?

[​IMG]

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"Car-o-lin-a Wren, Keep Singing...."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Registered

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

If not for the camera I wouldn't have seen it. One got in!

It was a smaller one. With a red tail. I sneaked downstairs, burst out the kitchen door, and had him corned in the box for a while. Scared the daylights out of him. He jumped from the deck half way across the back yard and ran.

I've thought about what will happen when the babies become teenagers. It will only last a while and be in the warmer months. But what about this one? o_O

Back to the drawing boards. :( I refuse to give up. Yet.

Round 3: Human: 0; Squirrel: 1

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

One more day of surveillance. There are 12 days left on the free introductory trial subscription with the camera, so I took advantage of it. Many motion detection videos recorded when I wasn't checking. Most of the time it was a squirrel. So they are doing a lot of checking.

I know there are at least 5 squirrels. It's usually a single one that comes. Not the same one. Most times they do as in the video above and give up. These appear to get annoyed and start flagging their tails. There is some evidence squirrels do throw temper tantrums (see below). Whether it's true or not, I prefer to believe it. But RT was back, and a second one (not RT), got through this morning. I guess they will all learn eventually.

The good news:. No more doves. Period. All birds smaller than a Junco have now learned.

This setup would work fine on a pole. It's the deck mount that makes it almost impossible. So it may be the best I can do. I notice the squirrels get a foot hold on the deck floor to push themselves in. Maybe it will be harder up off the floor where they have to cling to the side. There is a rather loud siren on this camera one could use outside. lol

Today I'm going to wire up the other goat carrier door and clamp it to the other side of the box. See what happens.

Do squirrels throw temper tantrums?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

Another cute new bird today

Brown-headed Nuthatch (stock photo)
    [​IMG]

"They make tiny squeaks that sound like a toy rubber ducky being squeezed." - Cornell Ornithology Lab :):cool:

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Registered

Joe, are you suggesting a spider web to deter the squirrels?

(No, he is not stuck)

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

No...I was thinking more in line with your bird feeder.......:rolleyes:

Nancy Hart likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

This camera has paid for itself already. It takes a 24 sec video every time it sees a squirrel, or any movement. I've learned a lot. I can't tell the squirrels apart except for red-tailed (RT), and there may be more than one of those. With that in mind..

RT and at least one other squirrel knows how to enter the feeder; one doesn't know how (but keeps trying), and one has given up, and just sits in a corner and chews on a block of dried mealworms.

The two that go in don't just sit inside and eat, and make a "mess" now. They grab a mouthful and go back out. Likely because they can't get out of the box quickly and that crazy lady with a broom might show up any minute. That is a big improvement. They all have fleas, or something making them scratch a lot. Not good in the humid South. What else is not to like? :rolleyes:

I read that squirrels will travel long distances (up to 2 miles) to find food they like, and will move in if the supply is steady. This town is full of squirrels, so one can NOT feed them separately and constantly.

Having watched all this carefully, I've come up with another idea. It will take a little work.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Nancy Hart

Registered

13. Nancy Hart

Registered

The last bag of bird seed has a lot of big old peanuts. They are the perfect ammunition for my slingshot.

Joe Riley and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

"They make tiny squeaks that sound like a toy rubber ducky being squeezed." - Cornell Ornithology Lab :):cool:
    Hi Mary! Are you a bird watcher?

Those nuthatches are so cute.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022