Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Alabama's quarterback won the Heisman trophy this year. :rolleyes: Georgia is favored slightly to win (2.5 pts), but everyone is betting on Alabama anyway, according to the experts. I would too.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Registered

Two new birds today:

Yellow-Rumped Warbler ???.. If so, this one should migrate north in the spring.

(stock photos)
    [​IMG]

Chipping Sparrow

[​IMG]

A bluebird showed up yesterday, so I put up the birdhouse this afternoon on the other clothesline post. It faces SSE about 6' off the ground. The metal flashing has been there for years.

[​IMG]

From what I've read the bluebirds will not like being so close to the deck, because it will probably become a giant bird feeder before long. So be it. It's fun to watch the other birds, even if they are just plain looking. Some of them have a lot more personality.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

bird.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Congrats on a good win.

Joe Riley and Nancy Hart like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

6. Nancy Hart

Registered

It sure wasn't easy, was it.

Joe Riley and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Registered

Stopped with 90 granny squares. Finished a runner for the dining room table using 40.

[​IMG]

Briefly thought about these.

[​IMG]

The remaining 50 squares are now all mats for tables, similar to this one.

upload_2022-1-13_8-32-6.png

I've learned a lot. It's a good thing I didn't start out on a bedspread. Some of this yarn was of different thickness and quality. Made it hard to keep the seams from being crooked (if you look closely).

Too many other things I have to do before summer, so I'm moving on for now. Time is flying.

By the way, I found a surprise in the red bowl on the table. :) The dried beans, strung on fishing line, my grandfather gave me when I left home in 1970. I kept them in case times got hard. They've been lost for years. Why did finding these make my day? :confused: :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Good job, Nancy! The table runner looks perfect on your table and that bowl is beautiful.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That is a beautiful dish. From looking at your picture of the table it seems to look like a four piece set, including the lid. What is the color called, some kind of rose? If you don't want to tell me, you don't have to spill the beans.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

None match. Just thrown together. None depression glass. Nothing valuable. Inherited from my mother. I don't know what you call those colors. It's possible the cake plate is what they called Carnival Glass. Not the color, but the way it's made. The beans are not spilled, but strung out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

No way, Jose.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Mill Songs - The Song of the Weavers and The Song of the Spinners

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Registered

Spin, Spider Woman, spin! ou Do you suppose she sings while she's spinning? :confused::cool:

Joe Riley likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

WOW!
    [​IMG]

"When people think about the structure of a web they often think about the rumor that states that they’re stronger than steel… Well, not only is that true, but a spider’s web is actually stronger than steel! This is because of something called tensile strength, which refers to the tension of which the material can withstand, and why a web is more elastic than steel. Without that elasticity, people would be hurting themselves left and right as they try to clear webs. The spider’s web is made of spider silk, which is an extremely elastic material constructed of lots of protein fibers. That being said, spider silk can bare more weight than steel, however it is much less dense. "

"A spider creates its silk within a very specialized organ, called the spinneret. Another benefit of this silk, is that it contains glue like properties which aid in catching its prey. When an insect comes in contact with the web, they are likely stuck until their demise. Spider silk is also conductive to electricity, and the spider actually uses this to its advantage. They use this conductivity to build up a static charge, and like a sock sticks to a towel if there is too much static in the dryer, an insect with any static charge clinging to it will stick to the web as well, and they are unable to escape. At first glance, a spider web may seem like an intricate design for spiders to lounge on, but the underlying properties are absolutely fascinating."

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

In the fall the spiders build webs across big gaps between trees. Walking in the woods is tricky. You have to do this...

They particularly like to bridge the cleared space between the trees and the fence line. Riding the golf cart along the fence to check it is a real challenge. I've tried to think how to mount a vertical pole on front of the vehicle to catch spider webs. By the time spring comes I usually forget about it.

These new Joro spiders have larger webs and much stronger silk. If the web part hits you square in the face you almost can't get the stuff off.

Joe Riley likes this.