Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

"Make sunflowers great again!!"

Joe Riley and Nancy Hart like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

That picture was taken from the highway about 100 yards away with max zoom. I only got a good look at it from the picture after I got home. Still not sure what it is.

Joe Riley likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Registered

(7/15/21) Thursday

Out of curiosity I Googled just the VIN# on the Ranger yesterday morning. Up popped the Ford dealer's webpage saying "New arrivals," showing stock image of a red Ranger with the same number and specs. What !? :eek:

It takes a lot to get me to make an unnecessary phone call. The salesman laughed and said whenever a vehicle finishes production Ford automatically transfers the information to the dealer's web page. They would definitely call me when it comes in. He said about a week. Ford webpage says July 31st.

This was worrisome because the Honda dealer sold a Civic I ordered in 1980 to a better offer when it came in. They were very popular back then, also with a very long waiting list. I ended up with a different color and no wait so not a big deal that time. I guess it would be harder for them to do that now since they give you the VIN# right up front.

Update Friday morning: . Ford website already moved the expected arrival to Aug 8th this morning. However, I do think this is really going to happen now. LOL

4. Nancy Hart

Registered

(7/16/21) Friday

Now I'm thinking about a trailer hitch mounted truck bed extender. To haul the 12' lumber. Around $100+ shipping. Anyone have one of these?

Subtract the price of renting a trailer and you'd probably come out close to even. I really dislike having to order almost everything online recently, sight unseen. Always a gamble. So far I've been lucky.

I like this one because the bottom bar slopes up in the back rather than straight. Less likely to hit the ground on dips. If it works the trailer hitch will have come in handy already.

upload_2021-7-16_14-33-52.png

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

(continued from previous)

I'm surprised no one has tried one of these contraptions before. Maybe I'm out in left field. This afternoon I found one that has the sloped bar like the one in the previous post, but is also adjustable in length, front to back. Just $30 more. They are both designed to haul 16' lumber properly. It would not be good if you tried to haul 10' lumber, and it didn't reach the goal post. Maybe that's not a problem, who knows. It ought to provide something to tie onto, more substantial than the tailgate.
    upload_2021-7-16_23-29-50.png
    Now I need to find something of equal size to get rid of. It's a new rule I made up. Although it doesn't take up much space disassembled.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

Just for fun ( :) ), I decided Sunday night to see if I could become a morning person. They say it might be genetic, i.e., some people evolved to watch the cave while everyone else was sleeping.

Not going well so far. Woke up at 4 am Monday. :p Seems too much like work if it isn't daylight. Went back to sleep for 2 more hours.

Woke up at 6 am today. Better. Sleep deprivation has given me the senior equivalent of the Terrible Twos. Good thing nobody came by the house today. It rained again. Rain is starting to get on my nerves. ;)
    Tomorrow should tell something. I'll probably get a second wind around midnight tonight... [​IMG]

7. Nancy Hart

Registered

(7/17/21) Saturday

Channel surfing. Ran across Tampa Bay at Braves Saturday night. Bottom of the 4th inning. Score 0-0.

One of the most interesting half innings I've ever seen. Braves scored 6 runs. Included a home run for a first ever at bat, walk to get to the pitcher who doubled, a ground rule double (video reviewed), and two errors.

Did I watch more? No. Because the Braves usually manage to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, but this time they did win 9-0.

It finally dawned on me why I rarely missed a braves game on TV back in the Seventies. When they were so bad, I felt I had to keep it a secret I was still watching. It was the announcer, Skip Caray. He was the entertainment. Pete Van Wieren sums it up well in the video below.

8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

You can play the C harmonica in the key of G by using the draw notes. Draw instead of blow.
    When a harmonica player wants to play in the key of G he doesn’t get a G harmonica, he grabs a C
    and plays the draw notes. Although it could be played with a G harp but it will sound better using the C harp.

Harmonicas play two keys: C/G, G/D, D/A, A/E, E/B, B/F, F/C.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

Did you hear Texas and Oklahoma want to join the Southeast conference? And Georgia is getting itchy feet for the Atlantic Conference. If Texas &OU go it will desimate the Big 12.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thank you. I am going off to study the meaning of all this. And try it out. Will return momentarily, no doubt with questions.

I can play Harvest Moon now. I believe I'm in the key of C, but wouldn't bet my life on it. It requires going up to hole #9, and is a bit squeaky. If you play it an octave lower you have to mess with hole #2. Hole #2 and I do not get along well at all. :rolleyes: This may be just right. Like the 3rd little bear.

11. Bill Boggs

Registered

Hole two will get better. Everybody has trouble with hole 2 for a while. Not to worry about it. Just remember
    each harp will play two keys.
    When you blow you are in the key of the harp; when you play the draw notes you are playing in it’s other
    So put that in your pipe.

key.

12. Nancy Hart

Registered

@Bill Boggs

Here's one problem already. Take the song Harvest Moon, for example. The key of G has one sharp (F#). There are a couple of F#'s in that song. That requires an overblow on 5. I've never even tried an overblow. :eek:

Funny, the only thing I can do on #2 is a bend. That's an F#, but it's too low.

I'll pick another song. I'll look at What a Wonderful World and Leaving on a Jet Plane. Will get back to you tomorrow.

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

Check this out.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

I can play that in G or C. Also just using his tabs on the C harp, which I believe is in the key of D (which has 2 sharps). But there are no sharps in that particular segment in either of the 3 keys.

The problem comes in the rest of the song, which has some sharps. Maybe I shouldn't ever play the rest of the song. Just this part. It is the prettiest part of the whole song, in my opinion.

I'll get back to you tomorrow, Bill.

15. Nancy Hart

Registered

Good morning

Because this thread was the last thing I thought about last night (combined with eating noodles), I had a nightmare about it. Over night some stranger had posted here, "I don't know why you folks can't understand this. It's so simple." In all caps. Followed by a page of mathematical equations.

Then several other people chimed in and they all got into an argument about it adding more pages of equations. It was so real, I had to check this morning to make sure it wasn't ESP.

upload_2021-7-24_9-7-4.png

Bill Boggs and John Brunner like this.