The Wizard of Oz is on TV tonight Sat Oct 3 METV

John Brunner

Greeter
Staff member
If I had realized it was on, I would have posted this earlier. The Wizard of Oz is on a show called Svengoolie that airs on METV. Probably airs at 7PM local time.

I recall when this showed once a year before Halloween. I've not seen it in years.
 
I might be misremembering the time of year, but I don't believe it was all jammed up with the Christmas movies we got inundated with. It was interesting watching the movie after so many years.
No no , you're probably right.
I've just looked it up and it first aired over here in December 1975 as part of the Christmas line up.
But it's saying it aired on CBS (?) on November 3rd ( can't remember year ) which would tie in around Halloween in the US .
 
No no , you're probably right.
I've just looked it up and it first aired over here in December 1975 as part of the Christmas line up.
But it's saying it aired on CBS (?) on November 3rd ( can't remember year ) which would tie in around Halloween in the US .
Interesting. I wonder what other "embedded in our culture" entertainment overlaps both of our lives.
 
Gone with the Wind is probably too enmeshed in US culture but I watched that sooooooooo many times. Even as long as it was.
I have a false childhood memory that Porgy and Bess was one of those shows that aired annually, but according to the web, it was only televised once due to "controversial content." I guess I just happened to catch it that one time.
 
I guess everyone knows that It's A Wonderful Life was not very popular when it first hit theaters. At some point along the line. the rights to it expired and the owner forgot to renew them. Since it became Public Domain, TV stations could play it as often as they wanted to without paying any royalties...and boy did they. 100% profit, baby. Now it is ingrained in everyone's memory by sheer repetition.
 
Back
Top