The Welcome Mat

Faye Fox

Well-known member
I seldom welcome new members that make non informative introductions.

I think since this is a seniors forum, an introduction post should require an age and other info in general, nothing to personal, just enough that we have some idea about the person. I find it hard to interact with someone that post very short non informative introductions and follow up responses.

I get suspicious when all they say is, "I am here to meet people and make friends." Who wants to be friends with someone you know nothing about? Are they really a senior by the very loose and liberal age requirements of the forum? At least 50? It would be nice to know a location in general, never a good idea to be to specific such as an address, but knowing what country is helpful.

I understand that getting to know a new member may take several post, but not knowing anything leaves me with no interest in getting to know them. Tell us something that interest you or used to interest you. Former occupations and hobbies help give a general idea and certainly are a good way to make friends.

When those new members make a few non informative post and then become lurkers, spend time logged in on the forum, but never post anything or only seen sending PM's to select members, it bares out the fact that evasive intros may be a flag of concern.

What do you like to see in an introduction thread? I lose interest in anyone whose intro thread has two pages of members trying to get some basic info and the newbie is evasive. Should a basic intro post, with age, interest, and general location, be required before membership is approved?
 
Last edited:
I seldom welcome new members that make non informative introductions.

I think since this is a seniors forum, an introduction post should require an age and other info in general, nothing to personal, just enough that we have some idea about the person. I find it hard to interact with someone that post very short non informative introductions and follow up responses.

I get suspicious when all they say is, "I am here to meet people and make friends." Who wants to be friends with someone you know nothing about? Are they really a senior by the very loose and liberal age requirements of the forum? At least 50? It would be nice to know a location in general, never a good idea to be to specific such as an address, but knowing what country is helpful.

I understand that getting to know a new member may take several post, but not knowing anything leaves me with no interest in getting to know them. Tell us something that interest you or used to interest you. Former occupations and hobbies help give a general idea and certainly are a good way to make friends.

When those new members make a few non informative post and then become lurkers, spend time logged in on the forum, but never post anything or only seen sending PM's to select members, it bares out the fact that evasive intros may be a flag of concern.

What do you like to see in an introduction thread? I lose interest in anyone whose intro thread has two pages of members trying to get some basic info and the newbie is evasive. Should a basic intro post, with age, interest, and general location, be required before membership is approved?
I agree..a wee bit more info is helpful
 
I'm going to have to disagree. I don't believe there should be any requirements for an introduction post. Many people don't bother posting an intro at all; I know I didn't. When I first joined here I just wanted to look around and see if this was a place where I'd want to participate, and if I had been required to post anything personal I'd have simply left.

Not to mention that people who have ulterior motives (spamming, etc.) wouldn't bother to put honest information anyhow. I'm not even "Beth Gallagher" so I could have invented plenty of other facts about myself. (Former Miss America, invented the Wankel engine, hold a doctorate in astrophysics, John Brunner's ex-wife, etc.) :ROFLMAO:
 
I agree with @Beth Gallagher. I didn't do an introduction on the old SOC either. I wanted to look around and read to see if it was a fit for me also. I think most of us do not use our real names here. Krystal Shay is most def not my real name. I think people will share a little more stuff about themselves in time in threads as they become more comfortable with members, maybe.
 
Hello all, i can see if from both sides but as a recent newcomer myself I can only speak of myself.
I felt quite nervous and it can be a bit daunting seeing everyone laughing and joking with each other because they know each other so well .

Faye had a fair point about wishing to know a bit more of the newcomer .
But on the flip side the newcomer initially knows nothing of all the established members .
 
Well, Faye I wear a 10 boot, 30x34 jeans, my hair is too long and my temper is too short. No, my LinkedIn profile is stale. If you want to know something just ask.
 
It’s a sticky wicket for all the pro & con reasons mentioned.

I’ve been on the same horse forum since 2008. Even those years when I was a mod, I stopped greeting new members. A big percentage of the time they never come back in. Orrrrrr they say they don’t own a horse, “—-but wish they did”; many of those turn out to be under 18 even though there’s an age rule. I still do my share of “reporting an issue”, because today’s mods have burnout and it’s difficult for them to get all the bases covered on such a big forum, unless they are made aware of a potential problem.

What I tend to look at, is whether or not a new person does come back in to post, what they say, and how they say it. That’s a lot easier to deduce on a horse forum, lollol.

I tip my hat to those of you who do extend a welcoming hand to new members whether they deserve it or not. By that I mean spammers, underagers, just plain troublemakers; those types show themselves eventually.

Had there been “introduction requirements “, I would have never joined. I doubt I’m alone on that. I don’t live off grid in the real world, but I have been told music from Deliverance should be coming out of the trees, on the way up the hill. I am pretty much the same on here. I’m still new to the forum but I think I’ve bored this forum with enough horse talk that folks know I am legit and that I am —— o—l—d; very old🥸

My thought is let new folks speak at their own pace — they will show who they are eventually or forget they joined and never come back.
 
I do not think even I wrote a introduction post, like many would not have liked it if required. BUT
I still like idea of where you claim to be from..state or country,and perhaps age, can open up the room for discussion from there.
Responding to threads of interest can say much about intent and the person. A new member who starts off in any political or religious thread, is a red flag - to me.
 
Back
Top