Stealing Christmas

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Diane Lane, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've noticed over the past several years that it seems fewer people decorate for Christmas/holidays. I added holidays because several here decorate for Hanukkah or both Christmas and Hanukkah. I figured it was due to the dismal economy, but perhaps I was wrong. Now that I'm a part of the neighborhood Facebook group, I'm learning things I never knew before. It seems thefts have increased over the past few years, with people stealing bicycles, golf carts, lawn equipment, and now, it seems, Christmas decorations. How empty of the holiday spirit does one have to be to steal Christmas?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's terrible, thankfully I've never had anything stolen since I've lived in Fresno. I don't put decorations out anymore mainly because I'm alone now and not even home for Christmas but when I did, nothing was stolen.

I have a little stone cherub angel that sits on a corner stone in the front of my house....I'm always expecting that to be gone, but it never is!

What amazes me is all the packages left on front porches from UPS and Fedex..I've not heard of too many being stolen.

3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't heard of this yet. What a shame!

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

The riff raff from Houston is coming down into this area and nearby neighborhoods. They seem to do their Christmas shopping at other homes. I belong to a lot of local groups on Facebook, and see people posting about this type of thing. Packages will definitely be stolen at Christmas. I'm not sure any have been stolen where I live, but they have in the next town over. I even saw a really good quality video a guy posted of a theft ring in his area. Many here have or plan to get cameras, but I don't have the money for that. If I did, I'd probably buy another gun and some ammunition, then some cameras. I haven't seen anyone posting about stolen decorations since I posted this thread. Hopefully the 2 instances I saw mentioned were isolated incidents.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane , I'm NE of Houston, and although the city is closing in on my area, we all live on at least an acre to 30 acres, and most of us have very long driveways, so stealing right behind delivery trucks isn't as easy out here. But it won't be long before all the new construction brings in more apt thieves. That's one of the reasons I'm going to sell my home an go at least 75 mile to the north, up around Coldsprings just south of lake Livingston.

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

We've never had anything stolen but we don't decorate anymore. I have planned to get a pair of red shoe laces and wear them in my black shoes this Christmas.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Unfortunately some people have no heart and they stole Christmas for some people already. It happened in Hawaii too last year. It is so heart breaking watching the news about "the stealing of Christmas"! Sads so sad kind of news at Christmas time!

8. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember my childhood's day neighborhood; all the people contributed to decorate the street where I lived with ornaments and lights, and every night there was a gathering to share a cup of hot punch with seasonal fruits, and the reading of a Christmas carol.

Today all of this has gone, but I still walk around the city to discover that, in the streets of some neighborhoods, this type of traditions remain in people's heart.

Lara Moss and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Thievery would ruin your holiday celebration particularly Christmas which is a tradition for giving. Some years ago, we decorated our front yard with Christmas lights and it looked good so we went a step farther by installing lights on the bushes outside the fence which is by the sidewalk. It looked good and we were so proud especially when the carolers came and those children would admire the lights. Unfortunately, after some nights, the lights wouldn't light up anymore and we discovered that some lightbulbs were missing. It's obviously mischief but those Christmas lights were not cheap so it somehow ruins the jolly spirit of the holidays.

10. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

So true Corie! And sadly the fact couldn't be as funny as thievery is fought in "Home Alone 1"