Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Today was a very nice Mother's Day. I heard from all our children and most of the grands, and got some nice loot and flowers. Our youngest son, DIL and grandson came by earlier and brought me a cranberry orange coffee cake. Guess my low carb life will be on hiatus for a while... that is one of my favorite cakes. I got to meet my new little grand-dog "Daisy." She is a little cutie.

They let the cat out of the bag that our oldest daughter has traveled from north of Fort Worth to her (birth) mother's house a few miles from here. She is planning to surprise us tomorrow so we will have to act surprised when she arrives. Not sure if she will stay overnight with us or how long she will be in town.

I decided that I won't tell any of the kids about my upcoming biopsy; no need for them to worry in case it's a false alarm. I spoke to my sister earlier and I did tell her since she always asks how my checkups go.

At any rate, it was a very nice day today and I hope all the other mothers on SoC had a nice day, too.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher - years ago after my CHF was told Aleve and such others was fine to take for occasional pain.
    It was not until we moved here, I found out not for me- causes kidney problems - especially is you already have issues.
    I only take Acetaminophen now when needed. So glad you enjoyed MD :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My doctors have told me that NSAIDs are fine for "short term" doses, and even prescribed Naproxen for me. I am aware of the potential for kidney damage or other issues so I am careful with any pain meds, but I am not going to suffer with extreme pain if I don't have to. We just have to weigh the risk vs rewards in each case!

Hope you had a good MD as well, G.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I was notified that my stereotactic biopsy has been scheduled for May 22. :confused: I'm sure I'll start freaking out soon. This is probably TMI but even if this calcification is benign I am probably going to request a prophylactic mastectomy. I am not going to keep going through this anxiety every 6 months; it is just too hard.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I've been enjoying my new Fitbit. It does seem to be more accurate with heart rate data compared to my old one. I've been working on my fitness since February and have seen an improvement in my resting heart rate. This is my results from yesterday...

upload_2024-5-14_13-30-21.jpeg

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Good for you! When I was doing a lot of bike riding, I kept a Pulse/Oximeter by my bed so I could check my pulse rate when I woke up. It feels good to see low numbers...as long as they're above 0. ;)

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Here's today; a few minutes ago. I like to see my resting heart rate going down; it got so high after cancer treatment that it was worrisome.

upload_2024-5-14_17-31-19.jpeg

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Day 3 of Hell. Amazing how spoiled we are to the small luxury of electricity. I am tired of sitting in the dark, listening to the incessant roar of generators. We have lost most of the kitchen refrigerator contents and limping along with 4 ice chests and using the truck to power the garage freezer. I have that freezer so stuffed that I'm sure there is zero air circulation so I may be whistling in the wind.

So far it isn't too warm today though it's supposed to get to 90 later. :confused: It's amazing how absolutely useless I feel in the humidity; I'm as limp as a washrag. I just feel mad and cranky and out of sorts. It's weird that one side of our street is on one transformer and the other side is on a different "leg." The other side of the street had power restored yesterday morning. :mad: There is a huge tree down across the street that leads into the subdivision, so we believe it took out the power lines for our section.

My husband has gone to Lowe's to buy a portable generator. They claim to have some in stock so we'll see. Maybe if he buys one the power will come back on. It's worth a shot.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I HATE humidity. Makes one wonder how those before us coped.

I image there are "cooling centers" that have been created, but you better install Google Translate on your phone first ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I envy yooz guys in the dead of winter when we're freezing up here, buy it's not perfect all the time anywhere it has become obvious.

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You gather correctly. :D

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, we have added our portable generator racket to the melee on our street. My husband called Lowe's early this morning and they said they had 38 6500-watt Generac gasoline generators in stock so he hustled over there. By the time he got to the checkout with the genny and 3 heavy duty extension cords they were completely sold out. So for once things went our way!

He said he wanted a dual-fuel model (gasoline and propane) but there were none to be had, so he just bought the available model.

Now we have a portable air conditioner and the garage freezer plugged in, plus several eletronic devices are charging and the TV is on. (No cable but scanned for local channels.) We will have lamplight tonight... no more candles. This isn't half bad actually, so maybe I'll just forget the "whole house" unit. This one will be nice to have during hurricane season though we are probably going to need more gas cans.

I'm going to drag out some inflatable beds that we use when all the grandkids are here and we will sleep in the den tonight (where the a/c is!!) It's hotter than blazes upstairs.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Day 4. :confused: Looks like they are finally working on the huge tree that's blocking the street coming into the subdivision. We are hoping that once it's removed they can put the power line back up and get us going. I spent the morning throwing out refrigerator contents and cleaning the fridge. We will plug it up and let it cool down so we can ditch the ice chests. It's a pain having to go buy bags of ice every morning.

Everything is a pain but I think of poor people who have no means to run out and buy a generator or anything else to help relieve their misery. Plus their little bit of food spoiling in the heat. :( There are a lot of organizations providing ice, water and food but you have to drive to get it which leaves a lot of poor or elderly people with no means to get there. So I try to think about how fortunate we are instead of being mad about the situation.

I hope things will be restored before Wednesday. I have to be at MD Anderson at 10:30 Wednesday morning for the biopsy. At least this power outage thing has kept me from obsessing about that.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Dang. Plugged in the refrigerator, waited an hour... and nuthin. Light was on inside but the compressor wasn't compressing. :confused: Got online and found several tips to reset an LG refrigerator, so first I tried the simplest... unplug, wait, plug back in. One appliance guy said that if the refrigerator was in the "defrost" cycle when the power went off then it would come on and still be defrosting which would delay the cooling.

ANYWAY... It worked!! upload_2024-5-19_16-53-17.gif Fridge is cooling, so yay. We just finished dinner (Chipotle) and will start moving stuff from the ice chests back to the kitchen in a little while. (Does anyone actually say "ice chest" anymore?? o_O)