Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I'm going to have to disagree, buster. I know that your urology issues are a terrible thing for you to deal with. And as for the waiting for results... that is the absolute hardest thing about a cancer diagnosis. I'm not as terrified as I was the first time, because 1) I pretty much know the drill so the fear of the unknown is out of the equation; and 2) my doctor seemed very calm and gave me the option of doing nothing, which says he really feels compelled to check it out because of my history.

I heartily agree about Walgreen's. We usually default to them because they are the most convenient to our location.

And as for the reams of paper... the first thing I do is toss that into the trash. :D:D I prefer to look stuff up online. :p

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, G. I'm doing OK now, but at the hospital I was pretty tense. I was afraid of them finding something much more sinister when they kept calling me back. I'll try not to bore y'all to distraction with a bunch of whining. :D

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}} Beth.

Hedi Mitchell and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Are you trying to hypnotize me with that avatar??? upload_2024-5-10_17-39-31.gif :D:D Thanks for the hug, girl.

Don Alaska and Shirley Martin like this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

You're getting sleeepy. You're getting sleeeeeepy. :):):):):):D:)

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sorry I am behind on this @Beth Gallagher. I sounds like things went "pretty" well, at least no terrible news. You might be able to get your gout doc to give you Colchicine for a last-ditch (when nothing else works) drug for gout. It is a bit dangerous and isn't given when NSAIDS will work, but it sounds like you had one of those times when naproxen didn't work.(550 mg q12 hrs. is the prescription strength I think). You wouldn't want to take the naproxen for very long though, as those wackos don't want us oldsters to take NSAIDs at all if you are over 50. How dumb!

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Franz Mesmer meets Skittles.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, Don. I am not unduly concerned about a new cancer, but if it turns out to be malignant my doctor said it would most likely still be "in situ". I hate to go through another major surgery but my nerves can't handle the scanxiety every 6 months so I will be seeing the surgeon at some point to discuss a mastectomy. It would be easier than the first one since I will not allow any axillary lymph nodes to be removed. The lymph node removal is the hardest (and most uncomfortable) part of that surgery and with an in situ cancer there is no spread yet.

I guess my previous PCP didn't get the memo about old people and Naproxen; she set me up a recurring prescription that I had to cancel with Express Scripts because I have a stockpile of about 4 bottles. I never take it for more than 3 days, max. If I take one when I first feel the "tingle" of gout it usually knocks it out pretty fast but it appears my gout is getting more aggressive.

I will be making an appointment with a rheumatologist to finally try Allopurinol because I am reading that each gout episode damages the joints a bit more. I have resisted Allopurinol because my gout episodes have been infrequent, though they appear to be getting more frequent now.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I think everyone takes naproxen and ibuprofen, there is just a warning against it, mostly for cardiac stuff I think. Some arthritis patients are hooked on them as they are the only thing that gives relief. Meloxicam is reported to be the safest, but naproxen is what seems to be preferred for gout. Just watch your purine intake?

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm not sure what risks nsaids have for most people, but for me it is my kidneys. Since chemo I have had borderline kidney numbers so I don't want to push my luck. My purine intake is my biggest problem... I am a red-meat carnivore and I love beer. :confused::(:(:(

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That sucks about your kidneys. I'm heading into week 3 with a dry hoarse voice that I'm concerned may be a known antibiotic side effect. I was 4 days into the second course of antibiotics for my kidney operation infection when it hit. I didn't bother calling the doctor to change things because I only had 3 days left on the script and it would have taken a day to get an answer, and my kidney is more important to me than my voice. *sigh*

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I hear ya. But sometimes when I have a gout flare, it's either take Naproxen or go get the hacksaw and get busy. That crap HURTS. I have to roll the dice on my kidneys when my foot is throbbing. I was so happy that my oncologist called in my steroid dose pack yesterday. (I showed him my foot and looked pitiful.)

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yeah, I have trouble with NSAIDs and my kidneys too. Life is sad sometimes.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I've only been taking the steroid for 24 hours and my foot is looking so much better. It's starting to look bony and veiny again so I suppose "looks better" is subjective. :D And this is an unexpected bonus... my lymphedema arm is also going back to normal! Whaaaaa???? :eek: It has been swollen for at least a year, though sometimes the swelling is barely discernible but I can see it.

Tonight I was sitting here rubbing my arm and noticed that I can feel all the bones in my elbow!!! OMG. I wonder how long this will last? Too bad I can't take steroids all the time; I could lick the lymphedema thing for good.

15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It is probably suppressing the inflammation everywhere, but, as you know, long-term steroids have their own consequences. Enjoy the side effects of the gout treatment while they last.:)

Beth Gallagher likes this.