Roku Channel/app Has Live Streaming Cable Channel Free

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Denise Evans, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I just found this out today while helping my buddy Tom figure out his SmartTV ;)

Roku has over 200 channels you can stream, along with a "channel guide" just like cable has with times etc. Although many of the channels I love aren't on there, like Turner Classic Movies, there is quite a bit that some of you might enjoy. I saw one channel that just has Johnny Carson which I will love watching those once in awhile. Here's a link below to tell you more about it:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/1ac1f6c4b2a10445e55c6fca4f14d064/live-tv-on-the-roku-channel

Joanna Newton and Von Jones like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We have had this for last 5 years at least. We ditched cable 9 years ago, There many many things to see - enjoy!

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. Denise Evans

Registered

The Roku Live-streamings been on there 5 years!! I really had no idea, glad I finally found it through my neighbor Tom ;)

I didn't know about the cable-like guide so you can watch at different times of day. You can't stop and start a movie though as it is regular cable channels. That's why Tom called for help because he'd had a movie going, and our power went off. When he came back to it he couldn't find, or start where he'd left off. I had no idea what he was talking about. When I went down there, I finally figured out there was a guide, and the Live-TV was just cable channels Roku was able to stream free ;)

I've been using my TCL Roku TV for about 4 or 5 years now and just didn't watch ROKU App because of commercials. I watched it a bit yesterday and the commercials really didn't bother me so yes, really glad I learned about it ;)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

5. Denise Evans

Registered

Thanks @Joanna Newton & @Hedi Mitchell (didn't thank you before Hedi) I will check out Tube as well ;) One reason my sister keeps paying for cable is I sort of encourage her not to go with a smartTV. She really struggles with tekkie stuff and I try to help her all I can but we are 150 miles apart. I use Teamviewer remote control to work on the laptop I got her, but I can't do that with a TV. It would save her a lot of money to just have internet :(

Oops I wanted to ask, and mention some channels I saw that had shows I like. Hallmark Movies Now (limited content I think??) and there was another I can't think of right now. Want to name some channels (out of the 200 or so) that you gals found and like? Hard to search on there, you just have to scroll through all 200 I think?? But I did see you can select your "recents" but not save "favorites" not that I've seen yet.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You should not have to work on a smart TV, @Denise Happyfeet . Bobby got us one, and it is not a lot different than a regular television, except it already has all of the channels (and usually Roku ) programmed in to it, and it connects up with your Wifi just like a laptop or tablet does.
    We actually hardly ever even watch our television anymore, because we have the ipads and can watch everything on there that we want to watch. If we have tornado warnings, then we watch the television and we have a small antenna that picks up local stations, so it does not cost us anything if we do use the television.

Also, if you happen to be low income, or your sister is, you can connect to one of the low-income service providers for your area. We have AT&T here, and it costs just $10 a month for our Wifi.

https://www.cheapinternet.com/low-income-internet

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

Thanks Yvonne, I meant I can't work on my sister's for her, she would have to learn to use it. I could only help over the phone etc. She isn't low income so she can't get that type of discount. But her internet would be cheaper if she wasn't paying for both cable TV and internet. A couple years back they gave up their landline and went with family plans through their kids plans so we keep working to find ways to help her and boyfriend out. They are both getting up there, and skimp by but aren't miss the low-income bracket by some ridiculous amount, like 40 bucks if I remember right.

8. Joanna Newton

Registered

Sorry I don't have a lot of info. It does seem to have quite a few new shows and movies, but I was just enjoying old sitcoms.

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

Ok, I agree, love the older sitcoms and especially movies ;)

I just found some info @Yvonne Smith that I think you can help me with. I really didn't know what an HDTV antenna was on this info site for Roku, so I googled it. Is that what you have? Here's the info I've been reading for the last, few minutes: https://support.roku.com/article/115005469427

I understand now, thanks to what you wrote, HDTV Antenna simply picks up "local" channels, but I don't think my area can pick up any. A neat old guy that passed away a year, or so ago used to be a television repairman, and he told me that don't waste money on an antenna because you can't get anything from here. That would be so nice to pick up something Live in-put I guess Roku site calls it. I would love to get more local news but this is sort of the "lost coast" area here. Nearest larger city is South 2.5 hours.

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet We watch mostly Bristish, Canidian channels. We have some American channels like Paramount because it carries the shows we would watch on regular TV. Plus if you miss your favorite, the next day you can watch on Paramount. Hulu does that also, and we take that. Also you can pay extra and go commercial free, Most commercials on there are shorter in length and not as many. We like Brit Box, Acorn ,
    Hulu, Peacock, Roku , along with a several other free channels.
    Plus i have a learn sign language app on there...you can get all kinds of really good stuff on there.

Denise Evans likes this.
  11. Joanna Newton

Registered

The link says nothing's there :cool:

Also, if all you want are local channels, a regular rabbit-ears antenna and converter box will do it :)

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

Ok, I'll recheck the link Yvonne. I would be going for the Live in-put mentioned in the article, and I thought it was "just" local. I must have misunderstood your post. I'll be back with the link :) https://support.roku.com/article/115012658287 This one worked for me, but it may take a few seconds to load up.

Oh shoot, sorry Joanne, thought you were Yvonne ;)

Joanna Newton likes this.
  13. Joanna Newton

Registered

That's ok.. today's Friday, weekend is coming :p:p:p

Denise Evans likes this.
  14. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh I love all the British shows so yes, those are my faves and Paramount is the one I flashed on when going down the list, that I couldn't remember the name ;) Right now I already pay for my Prime Membership and get Hallmark Movies Now for the Season, maybe longer on that App/channel. I do love AcornTV and will rejoin that after a time when they'll have more show added I hope ;) I've watched many of their series like Midsomer Murders, Hinterland, River, etc. River was short but I so loved that mini-series.
    Of course Poirot, and I'm pretty sure that's where I saw The ABC Murders with Jon Malkovich. He's played some horrible parts in his time but he is superb in this show, and a whole, different persona!!

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh my gosh @Joanna Newton :( I thought it was just Thursday, I've really lost my one remaining marble this morning, I best go look for it. Where's my flash-light, or "torch" as the Brits say;)

Joanna Newton likes this.