Residents Who Won't Listen To Apt. Complex Manager

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

At our last complex, a resident could get a Resident Parking Only sign. That meant, only the resident, who paid by the month for the sign, could park in the spot. Well, once such sign was pulled out of the ground and threw into the bushes by another resident. That person parked in that spot. When contacted by the manager, the resident stated that they didn't pull the sign out and the spot was open. There was actually a resident that seen the man pull the sign out and park in the spot. Don't know what happened.

Where we live now:
    A number of people will pull their vehicle into a parking spot backwards and park. We haven't done this and now park in a garage we rent by the month. Anyway, the manager sent out an e-mail stating that residents could no longer pull into a parking spot backwards and that this was stated in the Rules/Policies of the complex. That e-mail was sent out this past Tuesday and I still see vehicles backed and parked in parking spots here. Wonder how she will enforce this???

In the same e-mail, she requested that people not pull their vehicle into a parking spot and over part of the sidewalk. When it snows heavily, the snow can't be completely removed off of the sidewalk. The manager put out the same notice last winter, and yet, there were those that still had the front of their vehicle over the sidewalk.

IOW, there are residents that absolutely won't follow what an apt. complex manager states. It can really frustrate the maintenance girl that works here and has to clean snow/ice off of sidewalks.

Your thoughts.

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Thought on backing in....More of the vehicle would be over the sidewalk that seems to have been built too close to the parking especially if the cars can overhang when you drive straight in.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If I were you, I would read my lease to see what it says about those rules, see what it says about notification when the lessee breaks those rules, then see what it says about the remedies/punishments available to the lessor.

I wouldn't necessarily do this to go Scorched Earth on anyone (just yet), but when it comes time to have a conversation, you'll have facts and not just anger.

Then see what local statutes are in place to protect renters. In some areas, it's very hard to kick people out (which is one reason they have shortages of "affordable housing.") There may be reference to such statutes on your lease ("In accordance with the Screw The Evil Landlord Housing Act of Podunk County.") Again, this is mostly to educate yourself as to what remedies are actually available. Of course, if the tenant is unaware of the protections that they have, an enforceable threat and an unenforceable threat look identical to them.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, we don't have a problem at all following any of the rules/policies in the rental agreement. But, when I talked to the maintenance girl, she told me that the young (Millennials) can definitely have problems following rules/policies.

Now, everyone got a notice on their door this morning, stating that there will be a "walk-through" of all apartment homes a week from today. This is a yearly Lender Inspection, at least that's what management calls it. Office staff will do the walk-through. However, the maintenance girl told me that there are residents that don't want anyone in their apartment, including office staff. She also told me that these are residents that, if some kind of repair is needed, they will try to do themselves. She told me, "sometimes they don't want anyone going into their apartment because they are doing something illegal in the apartment." Anyway, it's completely legal and we had it done at the apt. complex we lived at before.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, those damn millennials. They just spoil everything. :eek:

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I guess all you know is nice, rule following Millennials, right?

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My children are millennials. So yeah.

Mary Robi and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Well, on the flip side...

When I lived in an apartment, I came home from work to find my bath towel hanging on the rack soaking wet, and covered with drywall dust. Then I noticed the door under the kitchen sink was ajar. Apparently there had been a leak somewhere, and the maintenance guy did work and had a mess to clean up, so he took my bath towel, moped up the funky water, then just hung it back on the rack.

So back to my original comment: I was not directing it at you and your compliance. You were wondering what course of action might be taken against those who do not follow the rules, and I was trying to say that if they signed the same lease that you signed, you've got the answer in your copy of your lease...it will tell you what the landlord can do if you break the rules, so it applies to them as well.

Now, if this is just a general rant, I can get on board. I gots apartment stories. Like the time a volunteer firefight moved in at 3AM, propped the entry door open, and shouted from the 3rd floor apartment to his buddies in the moving truck: "OKAY!!! BRING UP THE BEDROOM FURNITURE NOW!!!!" At 3AM. And who would go out all night, put on a record at high volume, and lift the turntable arm up so that one side of that one record played all night long...over and over and over. Steely Dan. Aja album. Side one.

This is why I was happy being house poor.

I got stories from the other side...my mother owned a rental house.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh ..
    Not your problem, so I would carry on and forget about it.;)

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Our manager has already gotten into trouble with her Regional Manager and was told "you will never go anywhere with this company". We went to the office to tell her something (not a complaint) and there was an older man sitting in her office talking to her. After he left, we went in and she started crying and my wife asked her "what's the matter" and she told us what he had said.

What we were told: a discussion between her and a resident about something the resident had done. The resident was very upset and said they would contact the Regional Manager and/or the owners. A few days later, the resident apologized to the manager and she thought that was the end of it. Well, the resident had already complained to the Regional Manager about her. The resident had already moved out.

The job of being a apartment complex manager, in some complexes, definitely isn't easy. It can be a "no-win" situation. The manager has to be tough enough to enforce complex rules/policies set up by the owners, and sometimes, that means serving an eviction notice for whatever. There are many residents that have no problems following the rules/policies in their leasing agreement, while other residents just plainly "don't care about complex rules/policies". That's when the problems start happening between residents and office staff/management.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Of course it's not my problem, but the maintenance girl sure likes us because we agree with her about the crap some residence do.

I just wonder WHY there are those that follow the rules/policies and those that refuse to.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny, but, whenever I talk to a young person, that has asked/talked to me about joining one of the military services, I will ask them, "you can take and follow orders, right?". Some will say "no problem", while others will say "I think I just changed my mind about joining. Taking orders on a job is one thing, I can always quit that job if I don't like the orders. Can't just "up and quit" the military."

13. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Have been a consumer of "Judge Judy" for many years.
    Does the lease spell out these particular parking rules? If not the manager cannot just arbitrarily make a policy. They may make and addendum to the lease, but the tenant would have to sign off on it.
    As to the back in pull in.. Back in parking is always safer and is the recommended method. There is never anything behind you when you are backing into a stall,as opposed to the unknown while backing out into the wild.
    I can also promise you that there are as many stubborn, rule breaking seniors as any other generation.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

1. I doubt seriously if a regional manager told the manager that she would not go anywhere with the company. There would have been an “if” to the subject like, “if you do not” or “if you do” etc.etc. Otherwise, I’m sure the manager would have been relieved of her duties and the assistant put in place.
    2. Ditto what @John Brunner wrote about the lease.
    3. Ditto what @Gloria Mitchell wrote about the business concerns.
    4. No matter what the situation might be, when you rent a space in an apartment complex you are real up close and personal with the idea that everyone is different no matter WHAT age they are. Get used to it.

Edit because Pete posted a short time before I did.
    5. Ditto what @Peter Renfro wrote.

Al Amoling likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

In the managers e-mail, she states that the "parking rules" are in the Lease Agreement. Just like any apartment manager has to have a certain number of Handicap parking places in their complex.

Many new residents don't even read much-to-any of the Lease Agreement as they are signing it, unless there are certain things that are pointed out to and those things need a initial or initials. I was told this by our last apartment manager where we lived for 10 1/2 years. Other than that, basically the Leasing Agreement is signed at the bottom of each page by whomever will be leasing the apartment.

I found out the "parking" thing is more for trucks than for cars. However, there are some cars that will put their vehicle into a spot and either the front or rear over the sidewalk. Dual-cab trucks are long and, when either backed into a space or drove in straight, they always end up over at least a quarter of the sidewalk. This makes it hard for snow removal of either a shovel or small ATV with a snow shovel on the front.

If any resident is curious about rules/policies of the Lease Agreement they signed, the manager will show them the parts they are wondering about.