Rechargeable Tire Air Pump?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 30, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

On the positive side, I haven't driven on tires as prone to losing air now as I once did, but, on the other side, it's a lot harder airing up a tire now. Once, every gas station had an air pump next to the gas pumps or thereabouts. Now, it's hard to find a tire air compressor, and when I do, it's one of those that operate by coins or credit card, and they don't seem to actually air up the tire. It also helped that pretty much every car tire in the world recommended the same air pressure or the recommended pressure was at least stamped onto the side of the tire. Now, if that information is there, I can't read it.

The low tire pressure warning came on one of our cars a week or so ago, so I went to one of those machines. I had no idea what the air pressure was supposed to be, and none of the tires looked low, so I didn't know which tire I was supposed to be airing up or how to use the stupid machine. I put my card in, and set the air pressure to 32 psi, which I thought was probably somewhere in the middle range of what it might actually be. Then, I had to go through all four of the tires, with no idea how I was going to know when it had reached that point. Will it beep? Will it simply stop adding air? It didn't seem actually to be adding air to any of them, so I didn't know. I just went around to all four of them and let it run for what seemed like a reasonable time to air a tire, although, for all I knew, it wasn't doing anything. When I was done, the low tire pressure warning didn't come on, but I have no idea how much air was actually in any of those tires. I guess I'll have to buy a gauge.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, each one of our tires has a sensor for air pressure. I can go to an area, by way of the vehicle computer, and see how much air is in each tire. Tire pressure is printed on each tire, but if the side of the tire is too dirty, it can be really hard to read. And, the rotation of the tire has to be in the right spot to read what it says.

It also take some time/milage for the computer to catch up with how much air pressure is in each tire, after air is put in.

We had no problem using the air pump machine. Used a credit card, set the amount of air we want to go in on the machine, start airing up the tire and wait until we hear a "beeping" noise. That noise means the "set amount of air" has been reached. Go to the next tire, if computer display states we need air in any others.

Weird, but we use to put the same amount of air in each tire on our old 2005 Durango. On this 2021 Durango, the front tires take 33 pounds, while the rear tires take 36 pounds. IOW, vehicles have come a long way since 2005!

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yup. My tv's work forever and I run them all the time. Although I was told by one store they didn't repair them because it was cheaper to just get a new one these days. I got mine (50 inch)on line as I don't want a smart tv.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that the fronts take 33# and the rears take 35#? Because if it's stamped on the tires, the first time they get rotated, you'll have (1) 33# and (1) 35# on the front and the same mis-match on the rear. And I gotta think that the inflation amounts are determined by the tire manufacturer. I hadn't thought of this when you first mentioned different front/rear pressures.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The tire pressure indicated on the side of the tire is the maximum pressure the tire can safely hold; not the recommended pressure.
    The recommended pressure is on the inside of the door frame.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Now I know why I used to have so many flat tires.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The computer tells us that. Fronts: 33 Rears 36 and the panel on the door says the same thing. A pound or two over is ok, but that's it. And, a 40 year employee of the dealership told us pressure will automatically fluctuate (a pound or two) between hot weather and cold weather.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

Interesting. You made me look at my manual. Depending on the size of the tire, pressure is either 34psi all 4 tires or 35psi all 4 tires.

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I wondered if the weight of the engine might make the front psi needed less in some vehicles. But in a pick up, you might have a heavy load in the back so ????

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

Then there's Front Wheel Drive versus Rear Wheel Drive versus All Wheel Drive/4 Wheel Drive.