Rechargeable Tire Air Pump?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 30, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never had a portable air compressor thing; my husband has a full-size air compressor in the garage and he keeps our tires aired up as needed. It might be a good idea to buy a portable to carry in our vehicles, though. Does anyone recommend a specific brand/model?

I need to buy new tires for my car. The car is a 2012 but only has about 23,000 miles on it. Of course the tires have "aged out" even though they look brand new.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, what I'm seeing online is Handheld Portable Rechargeable Air Pumps that don't plug into cigarette lighter/accessory hole/connection. The one I'm looking at on Amazon is a battery-operated/rechargeable one, not a plug-in one. It costs $79.

If it is the "plug-in" type, into the accessory/cigarette lighter, it would have to have a very long cord to go from one tire to another..........wouldn't it?

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Beth, I'm looking at, for now just "looking", an Airmoto on Amazon for $79. There are cheaper ones, but my moto is "cheaper doesn't always mean better".

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a tire pump that you plug into a wall outlet for power. I check pressure fall and spring when average temperature changes. Also have AAA. A portable pump might give you peace of mind, but if you have a large leak on the road, the tire may not hold the pressure anyway. If your low pressure light comes on, you should have enough pressure to get you home where you can plug your pump in. If it goes low overnight there's a leak and it's time to get it fixed.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, John and others, please reply with what you have and use. Is it a battery-operated-rechargeable air pump or one that plugs into the vehicle or plugs into an outlet at home?

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was just remembering when my husband was hospitalized last summer, I was driving to the hospital and my "low tire" idiot light came on. It would have been nice to have my own little pump to air that tire until I could get it checked. It is hard to find a "service" station that has air pumps anymore. :rolleyes:

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

And then, if you do find one, it will require either a credit card or quarters to use it. The last two we stopped at required a credit card. One cost $2.00 and had to use it twice and the other was $2.50, but only used it once.

8. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I got this one 5 years ago. The cord is long enough to reach all 4 tires & it came with both a battery & a plug.
    [​IMG]
    Order detailsOrdered on November 18, 2018 (1 item)
    Tire inflator, Masterworks 20V Cordless Air Pump for Tires, with Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery, 12V Car Power Adapter, Easy-to-Read Digital Pressur
    Avid Power

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have an air compressor in my garage, and have never owned a portable unit.

The first 2 I pulled up at random on Amazon have a 10 foot cord. The main benefit to a non-corded battery unit is you can inflate the tires on your boat trailer...a 10 foot corded model would likely not reach, unless you have a cigarette lighter outlet in the rear storage area of the vehicle.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Read what I just posted to Tony. Just bought one like he has. It's both plug-in and portable/battery operated for vehicle and boat.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

My car has "run flat" tires, so no spare or jack. It does have a monitoring system to let me know if I have a problem. I do have a plug in portable air pump which has come in handy, but I don't keep it in the car.

Just had a thought - maybe I should check the tires on the Harley. I've had it a year and never checked the tires.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a 1996 Dodge truck that has never had tire problems. Knock on wood.
    Like everything else, things from decades ago last longer. I had furnaces and appliances last 40 years. My kid's furnace shut down today. Bad mother board.???? after 10 years The cost to replace it made me buy a new furnace and have the old one fixed as a spare. The prices keep going up and mine is 5 years old. Same brand.
    My new washer died of a bad mother board after 3 years. I got another old one on craigslist, still going strong.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We bought our Samsung 46" Big Screen TV from, the now closed, Circuit City in 2008. In 2016, a part on a circuit board went out and tv went out. Called a tv repair place that does house-calls. We had taken the tv off of the TV Stand and laid it on the floor (carpet), as he requested. When he came, he took the board out of the back of the tv, put the tv back up on the Stand and took the board with him. We had a small tv in our bedroom, so we weren't completely without one. A week later, he returned with the board, installed it (with the new part in it) and the tv worked great. This tv has been moved (Moving Company) from Florida to Colorado and now to here in Henderson, NV and still working fine. When it does finally go out, will get a 4K one.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Seen a neighbor yesterday using a portable air pump on his car. His Tire Low Pressure Warning Light came on.

We are now finding out just how many Warning Lights we have. Seem like there are Warning Sensors all of this vehicle. Even ones for telling us a brake light, turn signal or other light/lights are out. Pretty amazing to us.

Also found out that not everyone, who has a vehicle full of computer stuff, uses all or most of the stuff. We will or as much as we can.