Rechargeable Tire Air Pump?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 30, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

If this thread/post should be/belongs in my other post about this 2021 Durango, please put it in.

Anyway, yesterday when we left to go to Brunch Buffet, our Low Tire Pressure Warning Light came on. Front tires down three pounds and rear ones down about 5 pounds. We decided to stop and get air after we had the Buffet. Found out very fast that not all gas stations offer water or air. Finally found one that did, but it cost and had to use a credit card. Used the machine twice for total of $4.00. But, was afraid we mar the paint by pulling the air hose to get to each tire, however we didn't. Fronts take 33 pounds and rears 36 pounds. One tire read 35 pounds when we left.

Now, what we are wondering is............does anyone here have/use one of those Handheld Rechargeable Tire Air Pumps? I just checked the air pressure in each tire, thru the onboard computer and one front and one rear are down a pound and one (same one that read 35 pounds yesterday) is now reading down a pound.

Also, just checked, on the side of each tire, and three tires read 44 PSI Max and one reads 40 PSI Max. The spare tire is a Goodyear full-size tire. Perhaps the one Bridgestone tire that reads 40 PSI was a spare tire and one of the last owners bought a Goodyear tire as a spare tire.

Well, back to the Dealer again (about the tires)!

2. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I got one after experiencing the frustration with the ones at the gas stations. They're well worth the price. There are many good ones. The one I got operates with a rechargeable battery and by plugging it into the car, which is how I always do it. My sister & I both had flat tires from nails one morning & the tire inflator really came in handy. I inflated the tires in a few minutes & drove to the tire place. Much better than a tow truck.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Thanks for the reply, Tony. As far as towing goes, we have AAA and have had AAA for numerous years. Unfortunately, AAA doesn't get to a customer very quickly, especially if there is a lot of traffic.

Still giving some thought to the air pump, but it would make us a nice Christmas present.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As @Tony Nathanson said, get one you can plug into the cigarette lighter accessory port.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I love mine. Even an old lady can use it. If your car runs so can the inflater.
    But I have to wear my glasses.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  6. Tony Nathanson

Registered

Yes, that's one of the advantages - not having to wait for AAA to get there.
    Another advantage - it's easy to check tire pressure every month. I got a decent pressure gauge which is much more accurate than the ones at the service station & I don't have to go anywhere. I'm really surprised at the difference in mpg when the tires are inflated properly - 3-5 more mpg. If your gas tank holds 17 gallons, that's 85 miles more/tank.
    Example: My Honda Accord Hybrid is rated at 43 mpg combined city/highway. Since I've been keeping my tire pressure at 37 psi, I get 52 mpg average. My tank holds 12.8 gallons. That's an additional 115 miles/tank.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  7. Tony Nathanson

Registered

Actually, my car is a hybrid & it doesn't "run" unless I'm driving it, but the tire inflator works as soon as I turn on the ignition.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not to get off of my topic, but wife and I are now wondering why we have a Goodyear brand spare tire (under the vehicle) instead of a Bridgestone like the four that are on the vehicle. It appears that one of the Bridgestone tires was a spare. I've always thought that all five tires, which includes the spare, were suppose to be the same brand of tire.

Guess we will have to go back to dealership and ask them why the spare is a different brand and why one Bridgestone tire says 40 PSI, not 44 PSI like the other three. But, when I looked on the door panel for tire pressure, it does state "Front 33 PSI" and "Rear 36 PSI) and that's what the computer says also. Always thought that all four tire were suppose to be the same PSI.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I think I need to check my tire pressure.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. John Brunner

Having a lower pressure on the front tires might give you more traction for steering. And there may be something specific to that vehicle regarding weight distribution (although it's hard to believe there's anything over the rear tires that weighs more than the engine.)

11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I always assumed the spare was just to get you by, until you could get the bad tire fixed or replaced. Not meant to be rotated out.

12. John Brunner

Now that you mention it (for those of us lucky enough to ave a full-size spare), when I put new tires on my vehicles, I don't buy a 5th new tire of the same brand (or of any brand) and replace the spare.

@Cody Fousnaugh Your Durango almost has 200,000 miles on it. I can't imagine how many different brands of tire it's had. I recently replaced the tires on my Mazda for the first time. They were Yokohamas. I now have Michelins...except for the spare. It's still a Yokohama.

13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My son purchased me a battery charger last year when my Jeep wouldn't start and it also had a tire inflator feature on it. I only used it once to test it. I already had a tire inflator that I use but it's good to know I have a back up. I purchased it from Amazon around $40. Well worth it for the convenience as mentioned before. I keep it in the Jeep.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When we bought our old, now gone, 2005 Durango, it had Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain tires on it. We replaced twice with the exact brand/type of tire that were on it when we bought it.

After doing some research, I found out that the Bridgestone tires we have on this 2021 Durango aren't nearly as good as the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain ones we had on our other Durango. So, when it comes time for new tires, we will get, if at all possible, the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain ones like we had before. If we do, in which that possibility is very high, that we will move back into "Old Man Winter" in northern Nevada (just not nearly as bad as in northern Colorado), we will need better tires for driving in any snow. The rating for snow with Bridgestone All-Season isn't very good.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

My truck was 7-8 years old when I needed to replace the tires, and the manufacturer of the original ones no longer offered them in that size.