Prepping

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

we live in a farm town..less than 1300 people..our daughter and our son-in-law...out about 10 miles...
    we don't know anyone here..only one neighbor..young...hard worker....rest ain't neighborly...if they get that way...we'll know why

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

This guy just posted an interesting video. If you are unfamiliar with Steve Poplar, he is a Baptist preacher from the Pittsburgh, PA area who work for Baptist Relief in addition to tending a church. He responded to the East Palestine disaster and is now in Kenya. He is posting YouTube from somewhere in Kenya.

Unstable government video

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

This thread brings up maybe the main reason I eat as healthy as I can, and workout at the gym every other day. I also walk 4 miles an hour, still atleast 3 times a week, but I do have Type 2 Diabetes so I cannot eat most of what everyone else is still eating. If I couldn't get anything but carbs and processed foods I'd suffer horribly, and probably, if there were any doctors around, I wouldn't even be able to get the pills some T2's take. I do a ketogenic diet and keep my body moving, even training for strength in case I become homeless or like Yvonne mentions, something like Armageddon.

I don't buy a gun/rifle because unless my tremor improves from all this fitness stuff, and good diet, I look like Don Knotts when trying to arrest the bad guys on The Andy Griffith show :p:D Dang, I used to be a hell'uva good shot too:(.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Ditto that!
    I figure as prepared as I am, the person I am most glad to know is my handiman. Unfortunately his spinal issues are impairing his ability to work but he has knowlege that no one can take from him and I could be his hands. I don't know how to do all that much, mechanically, but I can walk around and make a meal from plants growing almost anywhere. I have helped fix some of his ills and I can trap and butcher, even if my aim is getting a bit shakey.
    Spoiler alert, wood chucks are tough and gamey flavored. Squirrels are yummy.

Don Alaska and Denise Evans like this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

LOL, good for you Mary, I have learned some of that handy-man stuff myself, had to, didn't have a handy-man ;) We're survivors :D PS I like some of this gals info, a lot of it!!

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Registered

Disasters happen. Covid made me realize the few things I needed to add to my stores, for that I am grateful for that insanity. But no matter how much we have, we can lose it so knowlege is the most valuable. I have books because post it notes might not be the most efficient way to store it.:rolleyes:

8. Denise Evans

Registered

There's a ton of those Rain Country Videos on Youtube! One I watched on Yogurt (home-made) on another channel, which I didn't know you could "dry" yogurt for storage in the 2nd video I'll put up. I could do some of these things to back up my food-supply that I can eat with my T2.

What I liked about the first gal was she made hers without any kind of Yogurt machine. I can use what I have to make it, regular pans etc. since I have such a small amount of storage space for "anything" ;) :

Here's the one on making yogurt from one gal:

and here's the one on dehydrating it from Rain Country Homstead. This family is real close to being totally off grid up on the Olympic Penninsula. I lived up there in Port Angeles for a time, gorgeous country:

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

Especially for you mechanical-minded folks, men and women, I have a 94 Mazda Pickup that I am glad I have pretty much had to hang onto. It still runs so good with regular maintenance, very low cost comparatively speaking (gas mileage, parts etc.) 179,ooo miles, bought it new.

I just had to take it in for a complete brake-job but again, it's still cheaper than buying something newer. There's still a lot to learn about things like changing a tire, and other things if I had to live out in it, or just out in the boonies alone. If anything happened where I didn't have all the services I have now. One thing that really concerns me is there is a lot of rust build up under the hood, and underneath the truck. Who knows, maybe just a bicycle in my future, or a bag.

This is not a good way to be thinking first thing in the morning :rolleyes::D;)

10. Denise Evans

Registered

My rain country site has a lot of videos done by the husband as well. I just found one to show you guys, but he has several on other subjects. Again I'll add, for any ladies that can or want to know about as well. I think there is one on their use of solar-power, I'll look for that and add it.

The last link at the bottom just goes to my fave DIY forum. Basically, it's not a social forum like ours here at SOC, but anything you want or need to do yourself, I've learned here. Just a few things so far but it's just loaded with info:

here's the Solar Power system they have:

My fave Doityourself site:
    https://www.doityourself.com/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    John Brunner likes this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Registered

I have been studying and prepping a long time. Folks who don't believe in it wonder why. It is kind of like insurance. No one wants what it is for but if something happens, you will be OK.
    I like youtube and we can all look things up there. But I have books. If everything goes down, I still have a way. And I am kind of creative to deal with stuff.

12. Denise Evans

Registered

That's a good point on the books Mary, I haven't bought hard-copy books but atleast one really good one would work for me if I could find that sort. I think that is very smart of you, and I will be looking for a book that has a lot in it on different info I would really need ;) I do have an excellent one on astrology that includes how to find your way around if all you have is the stars, and how to use my telescopes of course :p Not what I really need like gardening, just being off grid! Oh and, how to defend myself ;)

Mary Stetler likes this.
  13. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I ate many a squirrel and rabbit growing up, and lots of other wild game. I foraged for morel mushrooms and berries since I was wee high. I haven't eaten any wild game in quite some time, and I rather not anymore.:p But if it came to it, I could eat it again and I could prepare it many ways.:)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  14. Denise Evans

Registered

I have some of those memories to now you reminded me about. I've had rabbit, not wild, and I think it was pheasant when we were kids. Lots of fish, always loved the trout we always lived around plenty of that. I went with a gal-friend mushroom hunting, the morel pic below. When I start really thinking about it, I think I could survive on fish alone, and if I had more knowledge of berries etc. and herbs as well. This is a great thread, glad Ken started it, I hadn't ever seen it before ;)

upload_2023-3-4_8-53-42.jpeg

Krystal Shay likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yep, books are important. The Chinese, or perhaps the Russians, can take away our internet any time they choose. Right now I think they find it a good propaganda tool. It would also go away with the power grid.

John Brunner and Denise Evans like this.