My Wife's Full Mouth Teeth Extraction

Cody Fousnough

Well-known member
My wife has had some type of teeth problems, just like her mom did, for years. Her last dental appointment was in early 2023. She got a full cleaning done. Since then, an infection in her two bridges has happened and gotten worse. We believe her bad coughing spells, from "we don't know what they were from" contributed to her infections. Her coughing did finally stop, but her teeth were bothering her pretty bad. She knew she would have to have ALL of her teeth extracted, and that's exactly what the dentist told her this past Monday. X-rays, and a couple of other exams.

So, yesterday (Wednesday Sept. 30th) the extraction was started at 8AM. It took approximately an hour and a half. When she seen the dentist on Monday, Sept. 28th, they made temporary upper and lower plate for her. The dentist also prescribed ibuprofen for pain/inflammation/swelling of her gums, a mouth rinse and a narcotic for pain as well. She was having a terrible time keeping both plates in place, but not anymore. Quite a bit of blood, which is normal for a full-mouth extraction happened yesterday, but that stopped late last night. She slept in our bed with her head upright on a Wedge Pillow. I woke up a few times and she was sleeping like log!

Today, she will continue with taking the prescription ibuprofen, her last antibiotic, the narcotic for pain and the rinse. She is having popsicles, that I put into a small blender and crush up and Campbell's Beef Consumm'e.

For what she has gone thru, she is doing awfully good! I'm taking good care of her! And, btw, she will see her dentist tomorrow (Friday Oct. 2nd) for a follow-up. Hopefully, she will be able to go back to work next Monday.
 
I wish her a speedy and full recovery!
With known issues she did not see a dentist since early 2023?
Take it from someone who has been there (instead of profit-motivated dentists). When your teeth are bad (like mine) you can see dentists every few months & spend a fortune to save them as I have - (full reconstruction, 30 root canals, 30 crowns, 8 crown replacements & three bridges.) Plus daily flossing. It won't make any difference. I have a dry mouth problem & (according to my dentists,) that is the biggest contributor to decay. Dentists will have you come in for professional cleanings & they will use your bad teeth to justify it when the real goal is profit, but the decay continues under the teeth where cleaning doesn't reach. Crowns, bridges & root canals only delay the inevitable for a few years; they don't prevent it. I'm on my 13th extraction & second partial.

By the way, 15 years ago when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I wanted to become an informed person, so I attended four diabetes classes a doctor recommended - at $200.00 each. Out of each three-hour class, two hours were spent on what drugs to ask your doctor for. And the special shakes, nutrition bars & other such nonsense. And a dental hygienist showed up to sell us special high-priced "Diabetic toothpaste, Diabetic Toothbrushes & Diabetic Mouthwash." And she also passed out business cards to come in her office for "Professional Cleanings" every three months. After the class, even the diabetes educator told us even she was disappointed at the presentation which was nothing more than a 3-hour sales pitch.

At another class, a woman who worked at a shoe store showed up under the guise of educating us about foot care for diabetics. She spent the whole class touting the benefits of the $300-$400 diabetic shoes, socks & lotions for diabetics - all available at her store.
Money talks.....
 
Last edited:
I have been thru that rodeo @Cody Fousnough and please allow my experiences to help you and Nancy avoid a lot of discomfort and expense.

First dentist, not even the best ones know how to make dentures that work. A dentist approaches denture making with the idea of restoring your bite and making fake teeth the size of original teeth. This is a mistake at our age and leads to dentures seldom being worn or sore gums, jaw aches, or possibility TMJ, and tens of thousands of dollars wasted. I repeat, do not let the dentist sell you dentures!!!! If they made molds before and after teeth were extracted, then they will try to make dentures by those impressions.

Go to an oral surgeon that specializes in implants. They will be expensive, but worth every penny. I couldn't afford but the two bottom necessary implants. That was $12,000. If you can afford $70,000, go for the full upper and lower implants and the fixed dentures. If not get the lower two. but in no case have a regular dentist do it. She needs to be out when they do it, because it is a precision surgery. I had mine first done by a dentist that claimed a specialty in implants, but he got them in the wrong places and in two years threads were exposed and I had to have them removed by an oral surgeon. A much bigger mess and expense than if I had gone to the oral surgeon in the first place.

Now, when the gum have healed and the implant abutments are installed, go to a DENTURIST that does laser dentures. They are the only people that can make precision dentures. After 3 sets of failed dentures and about $21,000 wasted, I was told to go visit a new in town denturist that uses laser technology. I was skeptical, but they claimed they could make dentures for me for $6100 that would work.

They did! It took several laser scans and fitting sitting before they made a set that looked like real dentures but were actually a material that could be modified to perfection. They made them on a 3D printer. Unbelievable but true. Then after a couple of sittings where they scanned those fake dentures and modified them, they had them where they stayed in place without any glue. Then they used those models to make my permanent dentures out of the latest state of the art material.

They weren't molded like other dentures, but they put a block of plastic in a robot computer controlled machine that carved out the perfect denture for me from my scan specs that they established over several weeks. They fit perfect and I can use them without glue. Glue is nasty and a real issue to clean out of your mouth.

Now, to look at my dentures, they have smaller teeth and some even crooked and bottom back 2 teeth were omitted. Why? Because these teeth create gagging and trying to make your teeth perfect, just doesn't work at our age. Laser dentures use advanced technology to read your entire mouth and gums and make dentures that will work with your mouth, not what some dentist thinks his impressions reveal and then a denture maker that never saw your mouth, carves them out. Lots of room for error and making relining necessary at $500-$800 a whack.

Google laser made dentures. All a denturist does is make dentures. A dentist never makes them and they have no clue how they should be made for a patient. Going to a denturist, cuts out one person making profit from doing very little. A dentist takes inaccurate impressions, that is it. In my opinion, it should be against the law for dentist to make dentures.

Do not waste your money on temporary dentures while gums heal!!!! The few that can use them find that their gums didn't heal as well as just eating soft foods. Trying to use those awful chunks of plastic while your gums heal, is just going to irate them.

PLEASE PLEASE Cody, you and Nancy watch this video.

 
Last edited:
Well, my wife (Nancy) was admitted into Rocky Mountain Medical Center this past Monday evening. We thought the antibiotic she had been taking messed up her stomach, but it was the 600mg Ibuprofen, taken every 6 hours for inflammation that did it. Her eGFR (kidneys function) came down too much, perhaps from only eating soft foods. She was admitted due to her sodium level, which was 123 before she was admitted on Monday evening. After having a CT (?) Scan, it found that she has an ulcer. They have to get her sodium level up to around 130, before they can do a Endoscopy on her stomach. Her sodium level is coming up, but not that fast. The GI doctor has put off the Endoscopy of her stomach twice due to her sodium level. Hopefully, she can get it tomorrow (Thursday). Currently, not totally sure when she will be released from the hospital, but we are hoping within the next couple of days.

I'm with her from around 6:30AM until around 9PM each day. I order food from the hospital and eat with her. I could sleep on a couch in her room, but it doesn't appear to be that comfortable, so I go home and turn on alarm for 5:30AM. The hospital is very close and that's one of the reasons she chose the apartment complex we are in.

Please include her in your prayers!
 
So sorry to hear about your wife, Cody. This must be stressful for both of you, but it sounds like she is getting good care. I don't blame you for going home to rest. Hospitals are not the place to get any rest and you'd probably have your sleep disturbed all night. Sending my best wishes for a rapid recovery for Nancy. Keep us updated and take care of yourself, too.
 
Well, my wife (Nancy) was admitted into Rocky Mountain Medical Center this past Monday evening. We thought the antibiotic she had been taking messed up her stomach, but it was the 600mg Ibuprofen, taken every 6 hours for inflammation that did it. Her eGFR (kidneys function) came down too much, perhaps from only eating soft foods. She was admitted due to her sodium level, which was 123 before she was admitted on Monday evening. After having a CT (?) Scan, it found that she has an ulcer. They have to get her sodium level up to around 130, before they can do a Endoscopy on her stomach. Her sodium level is coming up, but not that fast. The GI doctor has put off the Endoscopy of her stomach twice due to her sodium level. Hopefully, she can get it tomorrow (Thursday). Currently, not totally sure when she will be released from the hospital, but we are hoping within the next couple of days.

I'm with her from around 6:30AM until around 9PM each day. I order food from the hospital and eat with her. I could sleep on a couch in her room, but it doesn't appear to be that comfortable, so I go home and turn on alarm for 5:30AM. The hospital is very close and that's one of the reasons she chose the apartment complex we are in.

Please include her in your prayers!
I will include Nancy in my prayers Cody.
Such a worrying time for you both.
 
That makes me sad Cody, but I understand the importance of electrolyte balance before administering any kind of anesthesia.

I also understand her stomach problem, because I have a large very old ulcer with a blood clot in it, so I have to be very careful about taking oral anti-inflammatories. Luckily mine always biopsies no cancer and for that I am very thankful. Hopefully hers will too and she can get on a good diet.

Without teeth and on soft foods, I would suggest drinking at least one protein shake, a day, that has lots of vitamins and mineral in it. Natural unsweetened full fat yogurt is also a good food for getting a balance. Natural unsweetened applesauce is also good, but just provides carbs. I am sure they will give her ideas on how to keep her sodium up and get her on a better balanced diet, before she leaves the hospital.

Sadly, dentist and even oral surgeons just tell folks eat soft foods, but don't give them the importance of keeping it balanced. Mashed potatoes and applesauce are great, but lack in protein, so adding things like sauteed fish that is soft, is really important. Protein shakes are expensive, but worth every cent.

I wish her a quick recovery so y'all can get home soon. Just be sure you are getting your rest and taking care of yourself. Sometimes as caretakers, we forget our own health. Keep us informed and know we care.
 
Last edited:
After my first extraction, I took an Ibuprofen 800 mg without reading the instructions which say, "Take with food." I wasn't hungry, so I didn't. I got bad pain in my stomach. Since then, I make sure my stomach isn't empty before taking it. No problems since.
 
Back
Top