Low Coolant Alert - Feedback Welcomed

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Von Jones, Dec 11, 2023.

1. John Nopales

John Nopales Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes.
    That's an excellent idea. Those solar chargers are quite helpful.
    I used one in my Honda Civic when on extended trips and didn't have access to outlets.
    That is, until the car was stolen by four teenagers and totaled the same night, but that's a completely different subject.
    Yes.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have an owner's manual stated brand and type I needed. Having worked at a Jeep dealership I'm very familiar with MOPAR and I found it sold online at Amazon. My Jeep is registered with Autozone to highlight products that are correct, for the lack of a better word, for it. I don't know the maintenance history before I bought it and how long I have had it I didn't feel the brand was as important as the type of coolant at this point so I ordered Prestone with the 50/50 mix.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm feeling better about doing this.

Another question regarding the 'pressure.' when I check to see if the radiator is full and it is and the reservoir is not do I put the cap back on before topping off the reservoir?

John Nopales likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You only need to make sure the cap's back on before you start it. You can fill the reservoir with the cap off or on, assuming you even need to top off the radiator. The safe thing to do if you have to fill the radiator is to put the cap back on immediately so that nothing gets into the radiator.

Did you look up that warning light in the owner's manual? Does it tell you if it means low reservoir level or low level in the rest of the system? I'm still thinking the only place it can measure the level is in the reservoir.

ps: I didn't remember that you worked at a Jeep dealership. That must have been interesting.

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

From what I read in the manual so far it only states that when the symbol lights up to have it checked.

I felt like I was on 'Cheers.' It was the best place I've ever worked.:)

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

I did a general web search for "jeep grand cherokee low coolant light" and found that the sensor is in the reservoir. That doesn't mean that the level in radiator is not low, but getting the light to go out might be as simple as topping off the reservoir. And sometimes those sensors get dirty, go bad, or the connector comes loose.

They are very easy to clean or replace, should that be the issue. Here's a step-by-step How To, complete with pics. They just pull out of the top of the reservoir.

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks John B. I also saw a similar video regarding cleaning that sensor. What I found very interesting is this has been a concern back to the early 2k.

John Nopales and John Brunner like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I should have clarified that I don't add coolant when it has overheated.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

There have been issues with the Low Windshield Washer Fluid sensors for years as well, across many manufacturers, often caused by the brand of fluid (Rain-X is a problem.) The ones that do not have issues mount the sensors on the outside of the tanks (so they are not submerged) and have a magnet on the float in the liquid. The magnet activates the sensor through the thin-walled tank.

I guess since none of this is a safety issue, there's no reason to change the design.

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.