Look Who The Cat Drug In

Searching for words to describe how I feel this morning. I woke up at midnight and never got back to sleep. Maybe this picture says it all. I keep thinking about all the good folks that have died while the bad ones still live. Hard working folks die while bums and the scum of society still live.

I don't think I am sad, but maybe I am. Maybe forlorn is the word. Maybe just tired and disgusted. Maybe just old and cranky. I thought about writing some blues songs, then I had my poor old ladies mocha in my new Fake News Blues mug featuring the President on blues guitar, the First Falsely Convicted Felon, convicted in a court of fake law by Nazi Ideologist, and writing a blues song seemed a waste just like the 100's of 🤠poems, 100's of story stories, and a half dozen failing novels that were a 🥱 and 😴 that I wrote. With that thought, time to get my head out of my 🫏 and go walking.
 
Last edited:
Catheter Advice

I'll start doing notes now and add on if I think of anything else. I've done this for a few folks I've met because most urologists provide zero support on the everyday issues. You want to get this stuff ahead of time.

Get leg bags and overnight bags at Vitality Medical. Amazon is way overpriced. You can also get cheap catheter straps to secure the overnight bag hose to your leg when you go to bed so it does not tug, and to secure it during the day on the leg bag if you need to.

You will want to get leg bag straps (top and bottom) at Amazon here and here. Those thin elastic straps that come with the bags are uncomfortable and don't secure the bag very well. And the velco strap makes it easier to empty the bag during the day.

Buy yourself a cheap ketchup squeeze bottle to clean the bags with. You use it to squirt cleaning agent into the inlet. A little bleach or vinegar with some water works to rinse them out when you swap between bay and night bags. Then rinse with clean water. I get an entire month out of each bag by cleaning them.

I wipe the inlet to the bags with 70% (not 90%) alcohol before hooking up the cath in the morning and the evening just to be safe.

Buy a tube of bacitracin antibiotic ointment at the drug store. Sometimes the cath gets dry and tugs a little (like hitting the dry spot on a water slide) so putting the ointment on the entry point makes for a sanitary lube.

Secure the overnight bag to your bottom sheet with a binder clip so it doesn't lay on the floor. Clip it to line up with your knee is when you lay down. This gives you lots of tube length to sleep comfortably. (They make hangers but you gotta buy a 12 pak.)
 
Searching for words to describe how I feel this morning. I woke up at midnight and never got back to sleep. Maybe this picture says it all. I keep thinking about all the good folks that have died while the bad ones still live. Hard working folks die while bums and the scum of society still live.

I don't think I am sad, but maybe I am. Maybe forlorn is the word. Maybe just tired and disgusted. Maybe just old and cranky. I thought about writing some blues songs, then I had my poor old ladies mocha in my new Fake News Blues mug featuring the President on blues guitar, the First Falsely Convicted Felon, convicted in a court of fake law by Nazi Ideologist, and writng a blues song seemed a waste just like the 100's of 🤠poems, 100's of story stories, and a half dozen failing novels that were a 🥱 and 😴 that I wrote. With that thought, time to get my head out of my 🫏 and go walking.
View attachment 6054
i am not sure it is the age but we have all been in depression on occasion. You have more actual reasons to wallow than many. You have so many ways to dig your way our if you feel inclined.
How about this one:
 
Thanks @John Brunner I was wishing your old thread on SOC 1 with all 371 pages was up and running. I was ready to review it.:ROFLMAO:

Seriously, if we could have threads like that, but with folders, so we could find the folder with the info we need, quickly, that would be great. I doubt Ken has the time or interest to set up such. We could have them for all kinds of medical issues. Experiences from members, I think is a great asset.

Hey, John please start a new thread on threading the plastic straw up the wee wee, and I will post on it as I have questions or experience. Maybe others will join in on the fun. :sneaky:
I could probably go on The Wayback Machine website and retrieve it. But it would have limited applicability, since the procedure I got is 99.99% done on MS patients and those with spinal cord injuries.
 
I could probably go on The Wayback Machine website and retrieve it. But it would have limited applicability, since the procedure I got is 99.99% done on MS patients and those with spinal cord injuries.

The Wayback Machine is spotty at best. You won't find the entire thread, just parts of it. It's a good resource but not complete. I wanted to read my cancer diary and it's frustrating that so much is missing.
 
Searching for words to describe how I feel this morning. I woke up at midnight and never got back to sleep. Maybe this picture says it all. I keep thinking about all the good folks that have died while the bad ones still live. Hard working folks die while bums and the scum of society still live.

I don't think I am sad, but maybe I am. Maybe forlorn is the word. Maybe just tired and disgusted. Maybe just old and cranky. I thought about writing some blues songs, then I had my poor old ladies mocha in my new Fake News Blues mug featuring the President on blues guitar, the First Falsely Convicted Felon, convicted in a court of fake law by Nazi Ideologist, and writng a blues song seemed a waste just like the 100's of 🤠poems, 100's of story stories, and a half dozen failing novels that were a 🥱 and 😴 that I wrote. With that thought, time to get my head out of my 🫏 and go walking.
View attachment 6054
THATS'S IT!😜
 
Not really necessary John. We can just start a fresh one.
I've thought of it, but thankfully there's nothing new. The only message I'd get out there would be to men in their 50s to go see a urologist at the first sign of issues. You aren't committing to get anything done, but you need the data and it might be something that could be remediated before it got worse.

I've not asked any doctors, but I gotta think that my "just living" with my bladder issues might have made things worse. I didn't get it looked at because I figured it was cliche prostate issues when it was my detrusor muscle being overtaxed.
 
Just got the call with all the test appointments before surgery, plus meeting with 2 surgeons. Nurse had to remind me that this surgery is very complicated, 4 hours long, with risk, and recovery may not be pleasant That with all the prep before surgery, over the next 2 months, has me mildly depressed and frankly, scared :poop:less. The thing is the cancer isn't going to disappear, so it is either do or die. Surgery set for early December. Exact day and time won't be set till about a week before.
 
Just got the call with all the test appointments before surgery, plus meeting with 2 surgeons. Nurse had to remind me that this surgery is very complicated, 4 hours long, with risk, and recovery may not be pleasant That with all the prep before surgery, over the next 2 months, has me mildly depressed and frankly, scared :poop:less. The thing is the cancer isn't going to disappear, so it is either do or die. Surgery set for early December. Exact day and time won't be set till about a week before.
you just keep us all posted Faye !
 
Just got the call with all the test appointments before surgery, plus meeting with 2 surgeons. Nurse had to remind me that this surgery is very complicated, 4 hours long, with risk, and recovery may not be pleasant That with all the prep before surgery, over the next 2 months, has me mildly depressed and frankly, scared :poop:less. The thing is the cancer isn't going to disappear, so it is either do or die. Surgery set for early December. Exact day and time won't be set till about a week before.

I'll pass on what the other cancer patients told me when I started treatment... "You don't have to be brave; you just have to show up." We will all be accompanying you on the journey, Faye.
 
I'll pass on what the other cancer patients told me when I started treatment... "You don't have to be brave; you just have to show up." We will all be accompanying you on the journey, Faye.
Damnit girl, now you have me all teary eyed. The hardest part is before surgery and/or treatment. I am trying to get my mind in the same state as one of the kids I talked to in the Childrens Cancer ward, years ago. "I am not brave and I am not scared. I am just living life as I know it."

I think we as seniors that have cancer, that have known a cancer free life, for the most part, don't see a cancer journey as living, but dying. That is what I am struggling with. I am working on focusing more on living and trying to remember to take it day by day.
 
Damnit girl, now you have me all teary eyed. The hardest part is before surgery and/or treatment. I am trying to get my mind in the same state as one of the kids I talked to in the Childrens Cancer ward, years ago. "I am not brave and I am not scared. I am just living life as I know it."

I think we as seniors that have cancer, that have known a cancer free life, for the most part, don't see a cancer journey as living, but dying. That is what I am struggling with. I am working on focusing more on living and trying to remember to take it day by day.

Women on the Breast Cancer forum as well as the women I met at MDA while in treatment absolutely despised the stupid expressions like "battling cancer" or "cancer journey", etc. No one was "battling" anything; we were all just trying to survive, so "submitting" would be a more apropos description. Journey sounds like a pleasant vacation, which is total BS when you're plugged into a chemo bag.

The best (and only) thing you can do is take one day at a time. You know you will have good days and bad days, and lots of emotions. If you get too anxious, don't hesitate to ask for something to help with that. I resisted it for a while but after I got a prescription for Ativan it really helped me to calm down.
 
Women on the Breast Cancer forum as well as the women I met at MDA while in treatment absolutely despised the stupid expressions like "battling cancer" or "cancer journey", etc. No one was "battling" anything; we were all just trying to survive, so "submitting" would be a more apropos description. Journey sounds like a pleasant vacation, which is total BS when you're plugged into a chemo bag.

The best (and only) thing you can do is take one day at a time. You know you will have good days and bad days, and lots of emotions. If you get too anxious, don't hesitate to ask for something to help with that. I resisted it for a while but after I got a prescription for Ativan it really helped me to calm down.
Yes, I used "journey" in lack of another word. I never liked it either or the idea we were warriors fighting a battle. It is more of an experience, one we had rather not have. Cancer is a natural process that kills if left unaddressed. The idea of a cure is ludicrous. Cancers like colon that can be totally removed in the early stages, is different from cancers like breast, cervical, or vaginal, that even if removed, may still reoccur because of undetectable cells that may go rogue. It was explained to me that even with surgery, which is my best option, while doctors may not say in remission as with chemo or radiation, it has the same chances of returning. While it won't return in the tissue removed, it can in other tissue and also the bones.

I know you know all this Beth, but I am posting it for others that may not. As you said, such cancer and treatment, is agreeing to treatment and then showing up and getting it done. The surgeon and team will fight the battle for me while I lay in a state close to death, for 4 hours, dependent on artificial breathing. I will endure things like coumadin shots, IV's, a catheter, and heavy antibiotics for a few days, just to be released to come home and have a p bag velcro'ed to my leg for several weeks. Somehow I don't see all that as a journey or being a warrior.

I see myself as an old lady, lucky to live this long, with an overwhelming family history of genetic cancer, most never reaching age 75. Many gone in their 60s. Many of them had very healthy life styles. I am very lucky, at my age, that this cancer hadn't spread to my bones. We all remember our Marie wasn't so lucky. Even if she had found it last fall, when her back hurt, it is too late once it gets in the bones. I think it was her story that made me so insistent with the Oncologist, despite blood and MRI showing clean, to do a biopsy. She thanked me for being rather stern with her. She said it was the best catch of her 35 year career as an Oncologist-Urologist. I thanked her for her amazing knowledge and experience. I have been told no other specialist in her field would have ordered a biopsy based on just a feel test when other test were squeaky clean.
 
Last edited:
No it isn't and this is my 3rd experience with it, 2nd major experience, and hopefully my last and I live to be 100. :)
I'm sure it will be your last. You've had more than your fair share and I think you've still got a lot to give to this world yet.
And why stop at a hundred !!!
There's a lady over here in the uk who is 117 .
 
Back
Top