Locked Up For the Summer

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Ina I. Wonder, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ina, that is about the life that I am living, too; except (of course) my car is not air-conditioned and I just keep the windows rolled down when I am going somewhere.
    Other than that, I go outside early in the mornings, or on cooler days when that occurs, and hide inside for most of the day, with occasional trips out of the house.
    By evening, it starts to cool down; but the mosquitoes are horrible, even when you wear repellant. they are even bad inside if we have the door open in the late evening.
    We have been out in the swimming pool in the hot days, and I enjoy that. Aboutonce a week, we run out to Robin's and pick up the mail. Sometimes Bobby goes with me, and sometimes, @Joyce Mcgregor goes along for the ride. Since she is another one of us who is pretty much stuck inside during the heat, it is fun for both of us to get out and go somewhere.

Ina I. Wonder and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I am by my own design a house mouse, it isn't that I don't like the outdoors, I like it very much, I just don't care for the people and some of the insanity that goes with all of that. If I am left to my own devices I am usually okay, I can find stuff to do, and it usually takes a lot before I get to lonely.

The way that I have dealt with the lonely part over the years is through the web. There are plenty of people looking for someone that will email or chat, or if you want to go as far as to skype. It is nice sometimes just to have someone to talk to from time to time on a one to one basis. I am not sure where you are Ina, but many places have meet up groups in all sorts of different categories, I have done a few of these and they are fun socially.

I still work, perhaps way to much, so I get more then my fill of interaction with people. It might sound very strange but I am looking forward to the day when I can get a place with a cabin and enjoy the mornings with my dog and a cup of tea. I feel being trapped by the clock is worse then being trapped by the weather. I only hope I live long enough to get to retirement.

We don't have air conditioning so days like this when the humidity is up you can feel it. I guess my feeling has always been that it is cold here far more then it is ever really hot. hard for me to justify the cost of air conditioning for a period that might be less then a week now and then. I think getting up early is the best advice, it is cooler and much easier to get stuff done. In the hot afternoons I just take it easier, maybe try to nap. if all else fails my car has air conditioning and I can drive someplace if need be.

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Humidity can be tough on people with lung problems. I remain inside with the air conditioner on reading or on the computer. I've been trying to lose weight thinking that might help. I don't get out much anyway.

4. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd sure love to hear how you cooled yourself down! Here in Romania, temperature has gone up drastically, and it sometimes gets as hot as 104 degrees! We don't have any air conditioning in the house, so my wife and I are limited to an old electric fan (whose breeze feels like heaven each time it passes over you). I'd love some advice too!!