I Must Stop Reading The News

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Faye Fox, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

On Wednesday, 11 people were shot in Chicago. Of those 11, three were murdered. The shooter wasn't white and he didn't use an AR-15 so no outcry for immediate stricter gun laws. So how does the color of a trigger finger determine if it is major news worthy, requiring hours of political analysis?

Recently wealthy Megan Fox goes public about her 6 year old son wearing dresses to school. He gets made fun of by the boys, but that is OK because it is a hippie school and they will understand in time. What the hell is a hippie school? Maybe all the boys should be required to wear dresses. Do they smoke weed during recess? What grade level does the free sex thing start? Are the teachers called teachers or Gurus?

Trump threatens an EPA sanitation violation to San Francisco. Come on Donnie, issue the dad gummed citation, already! Dag nabbit Donnie, get tough! Build the wall on the Oregon border, around Nevada, and down around New Mexico. Area 51 needs aliens, especially illegal ones. Sorry Arizona, but you need to relocate.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I quit turning on the talk radio in the morning and enjoy my coffee a lot more. I do not go on FB as much and even visit the political section of this very forum less and less.

I figure that the sun is going to rise and set each day and my knowledge of the all the hatred going on in the world isn’t going to change anything at all.
    There’s more love than hate, there are more law abiding citizens than the opposite, there are more people who still believe in the American dream and there are more people who believe in intelligent design for the universe.

All else is pretty much superfluous knowledge in that I already know that crap is gonna happen so why key in on singular events especially since they are skewed to the satisfaction of those reporting them.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

These things also get off the news cycle in a hurry once we find out the shooter was a Democrat or a liberal activist, too.

Bess Barber, Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, quick and in a hurry! When alternate news announced the Ohio shooter was connected to ANTIFA, then that story disappeared.

Bess Barber likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox - turn the news off! I stopped taking newspapers over twenty years ago, and get news only on phone or tv. But I do not watch everyday and Never before bedtime. Sometimes of morning I turn on tv and turn to Radar the Wonder dog and say..let's see who killed who while we were sleeping.
    It is same thing everyday just different place and people.
    As I have said before..do not worry about those who have left before their time...but ask why am I still here ?

Bess Barber and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

And, Bobby, just what would you do if you were a Reporter? Just like other employed person, they have a job to do also.

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't watched TV news or taken a paper for years. Got off Facebook and Instagram. I like reading articles on the internet and watching videos on YouTube and there is always things popping up that get my attention. Also my old next door neighbor loves political discussions based on current news. He says it is better than talking about the weather or our health. I think he likes trying to upset me.

Hedi Mitchell and Bess Barber like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, there are those that choose to "bury their head in the sand" and those that don't. Depending on how a person mentally takes it, local and national news is simply news. Every morning when I turn on the desktop, I see what crime has happened wherever. I just go "wow", tell my wife about it and continue on. It doesn't depress me. Much of the crime today, has been going on for decades, from the gangsters in Las Vegas to the ones in Chicago. Tommy guns were used back then.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I would do as they did in the past, report the news: who, what, when, where, how and sometimes why if it is factual, and keep my opinions to myself.

There is a huge difference in reporting the news and reporting personal opinion with a scant part of it as news.

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

As you wrote, “it’s been going on for decades” so how is it burying one’s head in the sand to know that there is nothing new in the news?
    I already know who I am going to vote for so beyond that, the only real news I’m interested in is that which directly effects myself and my wife.
    If I can’t do anything about it, it’s just useless information that will not help my day one single iota.

As Solomon aptly wrote: “There is nothing new under the sun.” It’s just a matter of who is doing the same old things and to whom.

The bottom line is if all I can see are vegetables and taters on a plate, I do not want it. Give me some meat to chew on and all is well.
    Unfortunately, it seems as though all the news that is reported is pretty much vegan.
    And do note: I absolutely hate anything that looks like meat and it isn’t. Tofu burgers and CNN.....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

There's news, and then there's commentary. We probably get 10 minutes of actual news a day; the rest is opinion, drivel, hysteria, and commercials.

I noticed during the tropical storm coverage that the Weather Channel has begun dragging the climate change issue into their "weather reporting," along with quotes from the democratic presidential candidates. I will soon cut the Weather Channel from my lineup.

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It’s kind of skim reading isn’t it?
    When one skim reads, we pick out the necessary words and parts of a sentence or paragraph and mentally discard the rest.
    It would be a shame if a book were the same as the reported news in that after skimming the entire book, there would only be enough pertinent words left to fill a half of a page.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember that as a kid, the late news on TV was a 15 minute broadcast. Now the crap is all day, every day in mind-numbing repetition.

Faye Fox, Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Once you learn that half of what you hear or read in the news is a lie, there's little point in paying for it or taking the time to watch.

15. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

My youngest grandson goes to a school like this. It allows them to let their little odd spirits run wild and free. He's 8 and in a 'Show Tunes' music class. He also tried to convince me his Tinkerbell doll was an action figure. He's a really beautiful sweet sensitive kid.......but I could possibly see a dress in his future. :p
    These schools are sort of the new wave Montessori schools. The kids come from families who are well to do. Eventually, they will end up in the real world not really prepared for social reality, but I understand his parents are just trying to protect him.