Hives/Urticaria

If you bathe or shower daily, maybe go to every other day. It sounds counter-intuitive but too many baths can make dry skin worse. I get really itchy on my shins in winter for some reason, but like you I can control it with enough moisturizing cream. If all else fails, see a dermatologist for some overpriced advice.
I've been showering more often since this occurred because the moisturizer doesn't absorb well into the skin, so it lies there as gook that makes me feel nasty after a night's sleep, plus I have to wash whatever I have slept in daily. Depending on what I do during the day, if I do anything that gets me dirty during the day, I have shower before bed, then apply more of the moisturizer.
 
I've been showering more often since this occurred because the moisturizer doesn't absorb well into the skin, so it lies there as gook that makes me feel nasty after a night's sleep, plus I have to wash whatever I have slept in daily. Depending on what I do during the day, if I do anything that gets me dirty during the day, I have shower before bed, then apply more of the moisturizer.

I know what you mean. I have been a 'bathe/shower daily' person all my life and I feel weird if I don't. When I was working, I took a bath at night and a shower in the morning, so at least I have cut back. :D
 
Yeah, I usually shower twice a day unless I am just sitting around the house all day, which I rarely do anymore. When I was a paramedic, I sometimes showered 10 or more times a day, depending on the calls I was on.

You might try a few different lotions to see if some brand might work better for you. I know that some moisturizers are heavy and greasy, while others seem to be absorbed into the skin. I have some good moisturizer that I got while having radiation but it's pricey. It does disappear into the skin and leave no residue, though.
 
I have some good moisturizer that I got while having radiation but it's pricey. It does disappear into the skin and leave no residue, though.
Inquiring mind wants to know. What kind of moisturizer is it, if you care to share. I have found that lots of heavy moisturizer brands that I have tried leave a greasy feeling on top of my skin, and does not absorb well. Maybe I am too thick skin. :D
 
Inquiring mind wants to know. What kind of moisturizer is it, if you care to share. I have found that lots of heavy moisturizer brands that I have tried leave a greasy feeling on top of my skin, and does not absorb well. Maybe I am too thick skin. :D

It's called Medline Remedy Nutrashield cream. I got it from MD Anderson but it's available on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CCOYGJC?amp=
 
I found a moisturizer that works well without the mess: Curel Hyra Therapy. It goes on after a shower, before drying off, and doesn't leave greasy residue on my skin as Tallow Honey Balm did. However, if I don't want to shower every night, I have to use a different moisturizer on those nights. Since I like showering every night anyway, that's not a huge problem, but if I don't apply the moisturizer before bed, I will be awakened after a couple of hours with a terrible itch and hives, usually on my arms but often in other areas as well.
 
It kinda sounds like Colder Winter=More Heat=Less Humidity. As Beth said, frequent showers will wash your natural oils (we really do bathe too much.) But for most people, that would cause dry skin, not fast-fading hives. I would not use a Benadryl cream on an habitual basis because you can overdo it...and paradoxically, one side effect is hives.

As complex as our bodies are, it's amazing that they work as well as they do.
 
This was a recurring problem for a few months, occurring usually shortly after getting up in the morning, but sometimes during the night. The connections that I was able to make were that the hives occurred in areas where there had been pressure over a period of time. Since I generally sleep on my side, the anterior portion of my arms was a common spot since I would move from one side to another, and at least one of my arms, the one on the bottom, would be folded. However, if I fell asleep on my back, I would get the hives on the anterior part of my legs and buttocks. During the day, I might get them under the band of my Apple Watch or, if I wore a belt, along the belt line. If I wore suspenders, they might appear on my shoulders, where the suspender straps went.

Moisturizer seemed, although I was never quite sure, to help. If I applied a moisturizer after showering at night, it seemed that they would be less severe, and if I applied tallow honey balm over the hives in the morning, that not only soothed them but seemed, maybe, to make them go away more quickly. But even without that, they'd generally go away within an hour.

Then, for no apparent reason, there were days when the hives didn't occur, and within a few weeks of that, they stopped altogether, and I still don't know, really, what they were all about.
 
I use to get the hives, like the night I got married. Nerves I am sure. I stopped showering everyday and using hot water. More like every other day warm water, and often finish with splash of cold water. However have had problems last few years with itching, . Recently started using Aveeno Oatmeal gel and that has helped me a lot. Another problem at our age is moles, and I have had a massive out break of them last few years, My dermatologist told me before moving up here..there was a outbreak of moles headed my way. Moles can cause itching also.
 
My sister has the same thing. She takes "Allegra Hives." She said it works.

allegra hives from www.walgreens.com

Allegra can help make hives go away by blocking histamine, the chemical released in the body that causes red, swollen, and itchy skin.
Cleveland Clinic +1


How Allegra Works for Hives
    • Active Ingredient: It contains fexofenadine HCl (180 mg in the specialized hives formula).
    • Non-Drowsy Relief: It provides 24-hour continuous symptom control without causing tiredness.
    • Speed: It typically starts working to reduce itching and swelling within 1 to 2 hours.
 
I use to get the hives, like the night I got married. Nerves I am sure. I stopped showering everyday and using hot water. More like every other day warm water, and often finish with splash of cold water. However have had problems last few years with itching, . Recently started using Aveeno Oatmeal gel and that has helped me a lot. Another problem at our age is moles, and I have had a massive out break of them last few years, My dermatologist told me before moving up here..there was a outbreak of moles headed my way. Moles can cause itching also.
I read that nerves can cause hives because nerves and stress release histamines. One of my sisters used to get them all the time growing up.

eta: I see that Tony just said the same thing.
 
My sister has the same thing. She takes "Allegra Hives." She said it works.

View attachment 5926

Allegra can help make hives go away by blocking histamine, the chemical released in the body that causes red, swollen, and itchy skin.
Cleveland Clinic +1


How Allegra Works for Hives
    • Active Ingredient: It contains fexofenadine HCl (180 mg in the specialized hives formula).
    • Non-Drowsy Relief: It provides 24-hour continuous symptom control without causing tiredness.
    • Speed: It typically starts working to reduce itching and swelling within 1 to 2 hours.
That's interesting that 25mg of diphenhydramine/Benadryl can cause drowsiness (it does in me), yet 180mg of fexofenadine does not.
 
Back
Top