Greetings Earthlings

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by D'Ellyn Dottir, May 18, 2021.

1. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Once upon a time I was a journalist, Air Force PAO, psychotherapist, business coach, and educator of naturopathic medical and midwifery students. Less formally, I have given workshops in a variety of transpersonal psychology practices, and core shamanism for the recovery of ancient wisdoms.

Now identifying as an aging feminist, zaftig hippie chick in the Seattle area. I’m exploring the irrepressible urge to write poetry, flash fiction, novellas, and memoirs. Much of my writing features self-empowered women of the silver set who have earned their enlightenment from heartbreaking relationships, have an earthy sense of humor, and an adventurous spirit -- as long as the Aleve, Moscato or CBD oil hold out.

I’m told not to use so many run-on sentences. Nonetheless, I write like I speak. Oddly, in person I’m an observant introvert, but am more loquacious online.

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I'm none of the things that you are so we should get along famously.....greetings from earth

3. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

I look forward to it, @Al Amoling. :)

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome from Virginia.

I like your thread title. Anyone who does not respond shall be culled. They post among us...

Yvonne Smith and D'Ellyn Dottir like this.
  5. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

LOL @John Brunner. Love the wit.
    And thanks. ;)

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

So, you were a PAO in the Air Force, aka Public Affairs Officer? If you were, what Officer rank did you get to? 2nd Lt., 1st Lt, Captain, Major or?

Anyway, my wife use to write poetry and got an award from a woman's poetry society. A few years ago, she started writing pray books. Got two done and we done the binding. However, she only sold a couple. When a person narrows their writing down to one kind of thing, it can be hard to sell. Obviously, not everyone wants a religious book. Her career, and three college degrees, are in Finance and Accounting.

As for me, my high school years were raised on a small hog farm in northeastern Indiana. Right before graduation in 1968, I enlisted in the Navy.........so the Draft wouldn't get me. LOL My career, before retiring in 2011, was in Materials, Purchasing and Inventory Management in electronic manufacturing. Before getting OJT, and some online courses, in those areas, I was an EMT for a couple of years in the mid 70's. On the side, weekends, I got involved in professional rodeo as a team roper. The only rodeo action we see now is when we go to one and we are huge fans of it.

Wife and I are both early Baby Boomers, being that she was born in 1948 and I was born in 1949.

Have fun in this forum. Very nice folks here and some great discussions.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Oh, I forgot, I was a journalist, for rodeo, years ago. I had my own column in a free local magazine in So. California. I reported on rodeo results and upcoming rodeos. This was before I bought a horse, tack, ropes and went to a roping school.

8. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

Hi Cody,
    Yes, public affairs officer. Loved that job, so much fun, especially in Germany. I was a civilian so my rank was GS12, which they told me was an O-4 equivalent.

Oh yes, writing is the easy part. Selling is brutal. Current wisdom is to start marketing your book before you're done writing it.

Wow, you've had a fascinating set of career experiences. I like watching rodeo so much more than watching football. Did some barrel racing eons ago when I was a summer camp counselor in Colorado during early college days. I'm also a big fan of the Rockies.

I guess I'm an early Boomer too (1950). And what fun it must have been to write about rodeo and follow the circuit. I never got to have my own horse, but spent a lot of time around them growing up because there was a stables at the entrance to our subdivision. Love horses still.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

10. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Are you from Mars ? No that can't be it
    It just doesn't fit
    The Moon is a bust
    You're not covered in dust
    Well wherever you're from does'nt matter.
    Just keep up with the Chatter
    Welcome welcome to all the fun
    I've said enough I think I'm done
    Tony

12. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

:D Brilliant @Tony Page
    Many thanks for the welcome, and in poetry yet! :cool:

Tony Page likes this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum and nice to have you aboard. I enjoyed your intro. I am also a 1950 born girl. In brief, a Jill of all trades, but mistress to none. Not much I haven't done, but very few things I have done well. I won't spam your intro with any more of my story. If it interests you, it can be found in several places on this forum. I gave up on writing and poetry as an act of futility. My work was reminiscent of a little duck farting on a big pond. I still do some art, mainly acrylic portraits, and play Spanish-style guitar. The time I once spent in writing, poetry, arts, crafts, music, etc., is now spent causing hate and discontent on the internet.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    D'Ellyn Dottir and Al Amoling like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Awe, come on Faye, you don't do that! But, I know you are only kidding. :D

15. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

Thanks @Faye Fox . I appreciate the welcome. Spanish guitar? Love that! I look forward to getting to you know.