Gps And Spoofing

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hugh Manely, May 3, 2021.

1. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love technology and the advances that have been made.
    However, the future is also fraught with some fear.

I read this article on the dangers of GPS and the possibilities that may arise in the future, and frankly it scared the heck out of me. I wonder what your thoughts are.

This will only take 2 or 3 minutes to read. I confess that it is a little over my head.

I hate to bring up disconcerting news, but this is worth taking a look at.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/23/...tives-navigation-critical-infrastructure.html

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I couldn't read it. It was covered up by a "you must subscribe" notice.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Hugh, can you copy/paste the article here?

From the headline I could see, it looks like the gist is that reliance on GPS presents the same risks as our electrical grid. The more advanced we get, the more at risk we are of disruption...or worse.

4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

America Has a GPS Problem
    The system is essential but also vulnerable. We need a backup.

By Kate Murphy

Kate Murphy, a frequent contributor to The New York Times, is a commercial pilot and author of “You’re Not Listening: What You’re Missing and Why It Matters.

• Jan. 23, 2021, 11:00 a.m. ET
    Time was when nobody knew, or even cared, exactly what time it was. The movement of the sun, phases of the moon and changing seasons were sufficient indicators. But since the Industrial Revolution, we’ve become increasingly dependent on knowing the time, and with increasing accuracy. Not only does the time tell us when to sleep, wake, eat, work and play; it tells automated systems when to execute financial transactions, bounce data between cellular towers and throttle power on the electrical grid.

Coordinated Universal Time, or U.T.C., the global reference for timekeeping, is beamed down to us from extremely precise atomic clocks aboard Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites. The time it takes for GPS signals to reach receivers is also used to calculate location for air, land and sea navigation.

Owned and operated by the U.S. government, GPS is likely the least recognized, and least appreciated, part of our critical infrastructure. Indeed, most of our critical infrastructure would cease to function without it.

The problem is that GPS signals are incredibly weak, due to the distance they have to travel from space, making them subject to interference and vulnerable to jamming and what is known as spoofing, in which another signal is passed off as the original. And the satellites themselves could easily be taken out by hurtling space junk or the sun coughing up a fireball. As intentional and unintentional GPS disruptions are on the rise, experts warn that our overreliance on the technology is courting disaster, but they are divided on what to do about it.

https://rntfnd.org/2021/01/23/america-has-a-gps-problem-new-york-times/