Getting My First Hearing-aids In A Couple Of Days

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Denise Evans, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

..and I am so hopeful. I had my hearing tested and was told I could benefit from hearing aids, so I went for them. I also have tinnitus (ringing in my ears) so I don't how that issue will be affected. I was surprised they recommended aids for both ears as I thought the right ear was still pretty good.

I am a little tekkie so I should be able to work with these, but the doctors will be over the mountains between here and Redding CA, on Feb. 4th to help me as well as other Seniors that they came over to help with hearing aids. Wow, I feel so old typing this, but honestly, I'm coming to terms with it, acceptance is the key right.

I know a lot of people here (where I live) have them, but I would rather talk here about it. My sister had me scared to even try them because all she does is gripe, or not want to wear them at all, but I decided I wanted to give it my best shot. She has the most expensive of aids, well, maybe not the most, but $5000 dollars sound like they better work, I would think.

Off-hand, I can't remember the brand, but they are supposed to be technology of late so I am hopeful. Anything at all you have to share that might help me, encourage me, I would be grateful for ;) Someone here mentioned not hearing, I think it was, some bad weather because they took their aids out at bedtime. I can't remember who said that or wrote it or I would find them here for sure ;) It might have been @Al Amoling so I'll copy him.

Thanks in advance, Denise
    PS They are sending me a video to help me get started on my own when my package arrives. But personal-stories and feedback will be a great help :)

John West, Don Alaska and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a Cochlear implant for my left ear and a Phonak hearing aid for my right ear. The woman who adjusts my cochlear has software to balance the two different aids.

3. Al Amoling

Registered

I've had hearing difficulty since my mid 20s....Started with only one and went to 2 in five years

Don Alaska and Denise Evans like this.
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

That's a long time, so you must have gone through a lot of upgrades since then right @Al Amoling ?? I can't find the brand yet for mine but will list it when I find out.

5. Al Amoling

Registered

upgrades up the kazoo......u-ve had the Phonak variety for about 10 years.

Don Alaska and Denise Evans like this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet - i have had to wear aids for years. My hearing loss is not due to age. the first one donated to me and when i put that on and really dd hear for the first time, i literally sobbed terribly. If you get the right kind and help you will want to wear them They do not eve have to be expensive kind. Years later bought a brand new one was $600 and still use it.When the right ear went down, bought a new one $1200 , that was 5 years ago, and still using, Livington Hearing aids that you see on commercial is who i use. They are great and not pushy at all. I could use the one thru my insurance but these people are so good for me, i will not switch. You will have to get use to louder sound and get adjustments until you are comfortable with sound .

7. Denise Evans

Registered

Hi Hedi, thank you for this, it really was encouraging. I did think about how I might handle louder sounds, as even now, a sudden, loud sound can scare me pretty good ;) I'm so use to the quiet around my apartment, and all the people here are very quiet, so going for walks etc., grocery shopping can be full of loud noises. I think part of my fear is because of the ringing I have in my ears 24/7. I don't know if my ears ring when I am asleep, but second I wake, they are ringing so I assume they do.

It's been bad the last 6 years especially, with not hearing certain people's voices, phonecalls etc. I find myself saying "what" or what did you say. People get frustrated at me, but sometimes I think it's the "tone" not the volume. Anyway, I do appreciate you telling me about yours because I never had a hearing problem until this last few years. I was also encouraged hearing about your aids not being so darn expensive should I decide to try something other than the ones my insurance is providing. I'm so glad yours are working for you and I do wish my sister could find some that work for her. She says she has to go have them "set" again, so I guess they can be set, but have to go again to have them done. I have a lot to learn but I'll keep folks here posted on how it all goes. I will give her the name Livington Hearing aids and tell her how well you do with yours @Hedi Mitchell Thank you again, Denise

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I had ringing ears for years, caused by what seeing numerous doctors finally said probably caused by a form of meningitis. White noise will eliminate ringing in ears for most people, but that is hard to maintain daily. If you shower vs a bath, you probably do not have any ringing of the ears.

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

I do shower, but still have had ringing for last, 6 years, enough so I have to use a phone-app with white-noise which thank God for it. It's called Chrome Doze App. I don't have to use it when I am out and about, or when I am watching a program, but like now, it's running. I anyone lived with me they'd probably go nuts, lol! Doctor (s) never have a "pat" answer for me on why I have it. I gave up asking. I hardly notice it, but sometimes I am just, so grateful for my little sound app ;) Thanks for bringing up the white-noise for anyone reading that doesn't know what they can do to help it :)

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

I received my hearing aids yesterday, and all I can say is, talk about a quality of life change, omg!! I have the Unitron "Moxi B3-R) aids and they work with my android phone's bluetooth. I can make calls "hands free" once I dial in the number, wow! Oh, and I can hear!! I can see it is a matter of "hearing" again is what I have to get used too, LOL!! I love it.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

so happy for you.your right it is life changing.

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Al Amoling

Registered

Best wishes on your new

Denise Evans likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Denise, I have had ringing in ears for five years now. My started by going to a gun/rifle range. At the time, I was only using foam earplugs. Now, when we go to the range, I have an electronic headset where I only hear someone speak to me. The headset deletes range noise (shooting). My "ringing" isn't bad, compared to some people. I can sleep at night and whatever.

Also, I have two pairs of hearing aids. One pair I bought online for some $400, but I had to fit each hearing aid to each ear. They have four different programs, an off/on switch and volume control. They are nice, but the ones that the VA Medical gave me are much, much better. I decided to go the local VA Clinic and get my hearing tested. I did have a glob of wax in one ear, close to the eardrum. The doctor cleaned that out by spraying water into my ear. Then, she inserted, into each ear, an "ear canal" hardening substance that was formed to the inside of each ear.

I had to wait about a month, before going back to the VA Clinic and getting the new hearing aids. The ones I got are "form fitted" to each ear, have a charging base, volume control and off/on switch on each. They also came with removable plugs, where ear wax can clog them, and extra plugs/tool to put in new ones. I also have an iPhone App for them to control the sound coming in. The App is run off of BlueTooth.
    They are exceptional and didn't cost me a thing (VA).

And, on another note, I bought a spray water bottle, that comes with a special nozzle for spraying in ears to clean out ear canal wax. Also bought an lighted inner ear canal inspector that is used with an App on my iPhone. Put the short probe in my ear, with the light on, and on my iPhone, I can see how much, if any, wax is in the canal.

And, for our tv, we bought those TV-Ears, I done a thread on. I don't wear the hearing aids when using the TV-Ears. The TV-Ears are enough.

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I pick up my new ones one Thursday. Something about my lifestyle causes problems with hearing aids. It is not noise, but I think it is working outside in the environment in which I live. I currently have Phonak, but will be switching brands and I don't know what I will be getting until I pick them up

Denise Evans likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

dampness or heat can be a problem I read Don.

Don Alaska likes this.