Gardening

Butterflies love lantana. There was a bed of them at the library. I saw what must have been hundreds of butterflies flittering among them one day when I left work.

I have large pots of lantana next to the pool. I was standing out there a few days ago and two hummingbirds were flitting around the flowers. I just stood very still and they came within a couple of inches of me. And yep; butterflies love those flowers, too.
 
Sounds like the kudzu of Australia. Here's kudzu invading the southern USA...

View attachment 6055

I found that there are "safe" varieties of lantana which are apparently the type(s) sold in American nurseries.

How to Tell Safe Varieties from Invasive Ones

Invasive (Lantana camara): Often has multi-colored flower clusters (red, orange, yellow, pink) and a strong, musty smell when crushed.

Safe / Native Options: Look for true native species (like Texas Lantana or pineland lantana) or certified sterile cultivars sold at local nurseries that do not produce viable seeds.
You can eat kudzu like spinach, feed it to live stock, make jelly, make baskets. Lantana?
 
Back
Top