Facebook Collapse?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Don Alaska, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I saw in an interview that they hope to have Truth Social fully open bythe end of March. We'll see. They are building everything from scratch, so what happened to Parler won't happen to them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Several years ago I was on FB and had to do a double take, as off to the right of my screen was an AD, with me in it! I was livid. I do not remember what happened after that leave FB for long time. THE only reason check in there is to see Great grand kids and a few other family members.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to have Yahoo news as my browser's homepage. I would be logged in to it because I have Yahoo email, and they log in together via cookies. So I have this habit of watching legacy TV programs and looking up the bios of the actors & actresses everyone here grew up watching. I looked up Johnny Carson while watching Tonight Show reruns, and I started getting ads for Tonight Show DVD Collections on my Yahoo homepage. It makes you feel invaded. I've since changed homepages. I no longer even open up Yahoo news...intrusive little buggers.

But you can see how much money is involved in selling our personal data. Facebook alone is anticipating a $10 BILLION loss in ad revenue this year solely because Apple has given its cellphone users the OPTION of turning off data mining on apps.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

IMO all websites are part of the elite except a few social forums like this. And Twitter is no deference than the rest, but we can learn from them plus entertain to a certain extent.
    Thats my take on it from what I hear.

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I rarely log into my Facebook account anymore, and almost never post anything on Facebook. If I can't say what I want to say, within reason, then I'm not going to say anything at all.

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes and when I went to join Truth Social I found out it's apps are only for Iphones and I don't use them.

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

when I do get on FB, I'm surprised I haven't gotten kicked off because I say what I want, almost as if I want to get kicked off so I don't waste anymore time there ;)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is supposed to change by March 30, but I don't know any more than that.

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I left FB for a couple years then we both signed back up last year. Hubby still keeps up with family but the freaks banned me for changing my birthday date. I didn't want my B-day to be public like they made it. Banned about 10 months now which is fine with me ,plus I can use his account to message if I want ,which I seldom do.

Denise Evans and Don Alaska like this.
  10. John Brunner

I don't understand. Are you saying you cannot join any of these sites from a regular laptop, or do you prefer to use your cellphone?

Who in the heck wants to be limited to typing out their opinions on tiny little keyboards? These suckers just want to data-mine our phones.

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

I really don't care for it because the friends I have on there are from school, never see any of them, even when I lived back in my home-town in 2011. Most don't actually visit on a thread, just shallow stuff, unlike forums. Ok for folks that don't really want to discuss anything in depth.

12. Denise Evans

Registered

No, but you have to have a Mac Laptop if I remember right, I know there's nothing for PC or Android, not last time I looked at the site last week.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

So this stuff is not just a website I go to with my browser, similar to what we are doing on this forum? You gotta install software???

I don't think I trust that.

Denise Evans likes this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I never download FB app. Takes up too much space on my Android phone, plus parley use FB.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

When I was still using Facebook, I downloaded the app for Facebook but found that it was easier to access it through a browser.