Facebook Collapse?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Don Alaska, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I just read that Facebook had the biggest loss of value in the history of the U.S. stock market yesterday--something like a quarter of a trillion dollars in one day. I don't know what, if anything, that portends. Is this another sign of "Get Woke, Go Broke", or is this just a bump in the road? I have not heard if the loss continued today. Any opinions?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was reading about that, too, and it is (naturally) on Twitter. I think that the Metaverse thing did not go over as well as was planned, and people are becoming more aware of facebook’s discrimination against conservatives.
    Some of the other social media companies , like Gab and Parler are getting more members, plus the new Truth Social from President Trump is supposed to be started before too much longer.
    Another factor might be that the courts have decided that facebook can be sued for allowing human trafficking on its platform, which is going to cause them a lot of bad press once that starts coming out in public.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

META (Facebook's parent company) lost about 25% of it's value when it failed to meet profit expectations. The company reported a profit of $3.67 a share, down 6% from a year ago and short of Wall Street's call for $3.84 a share. The talking heads are blathering about the magnitude of the loss while no one discussed causal issues. I had to search for answers. Link

About 98.5% of Facebook's revenue comes from ads on Facebook and Instagram. Privacy changes to Apple's iOS last year are starting to cost the company tons of ad revenue. The change allows iPhone users to forbid companies from tracking them across third-party apps. Some of the shared data includes age, location, health information, spending habits, browsing history, and "other stuff." The premise is for local stores you might be interested in to see when you are nearby and offer you an on-the-spot discount, but some apps harvest more than they need and they sell it. (Apps are "free," but they still have a cost.) Link to short vid on this iOS enhancement.

The 6% loss in FY2021 profit is the first manifestation of Apple's privacy change last April. Estimated FY2022 loss of ad revenue to Facebook alone from this single Apple privacy enhancement is $10 Billion (now you know why Apps are "free.") This anticipated revenue reduction caused Facebook to issue Q1 2022 guidance of revenue between $27 billion and $29 billion. The street was expecting guidance of $30 billion.

Other Facebook stuff I found:

-Facebook lost daily users for the first time in its history: In Q4 2021, Facebook lost half a million daily users. That’s a drop in the ocean (one third of one percent) considering Facebook’s 1.93 billion total daily active users (which is 25% of the world's total population!!!!) However, this is the first time a decline has ever happened, and it could be a sign of worse to come.

-Facebook specifically named TikTok as a major threat to its user base. Facebook has long seen an aging of users, with younger users jumping to cooler apps like TikTok.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Now I read that a Trump supporter is about to take control of CNN! Zucker was removed with the excuse of a hidden affair with a subordinate in part to clear the way. CNN is reportedly in so much legal and ethical trouble that the takeover should take place shortly. Boy, talk about irony!!!. The new owners say they want to take CNN back to what is originally was--a news organization instead of a propaganda wing of the Democrat party. Should be interesting times.

5. Yvonne Smith

I had read before that AT&T was not happy with how CNN was doing and was trying to sell it. Maybe they did. CNN has lost so many listeners, and most of the places that have it on are places like airports, where there is no choice of channels to watch, and everyone at the airport is counted as a viewer.
    Apparently, some schools force children to watch CNN also. It will be interesting to see what happens if it becomes a real news outlet again instead of a propaganda machine for liberals.

8560DC08-54EC-4337-BD53-D4FB74F9A9FB.jpeg

6. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

can't wait to join Truth Social!! You know what I love about here, and Twitter, wayyyy better than FB (ready to leave there finally) is that people talk real things here, as well as Twitter. Twitter is easy to find news, better than youtube for me anyway! I didn't think I could "get" the hang of Twitter but I think I finally got enough interest to learn ;)

7. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, get to the children, hitler tactics again. People don't just want the right to be as depraved as "they" want to be, they want us to all agree, condone and raise our kids to believe their depravity is right and good:mad:

Marie Mallery and Teresa Levitt like this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

Good read, and I'm going to that first link in a minute @John Brunner but kids, I can't blame them for wanting to "escape", I think tiktok is another "no brainer" sort of app, but honestly have not tried it, don't want to. Already get shallow messages on facebook messenger, I sick of shallow, and never would stay in the shallow end ;)

John Brunner and Al Amoling like this.
  9. John Brunner

I'm not sure kids want to escape Facebook per se, I believe that when parents and grandparents invaded their space, it lost its appeal. It reminds me of how some kids play with dolls and stuffed animals as though they are real, but when an adult tries to join in, the kid looks at the adult as though the adult should know better...the adult's presence in that space ruined it.

I mentioned Apple Watches have great "Life Alert" features. Apple greatly expanded their market by adding those features, but you won't see people like us in their commercials. If there were, young people would abandon the product.

10. Denise Evans

Registered

that makes good sense, yes, they want their own place, no adults preferably ;) I didn't mean escape FB per say, just "escape" all the negative, heavier crap. I don't see Facebook as being much heavier/weightier topics at all, that's why I'm leaving there. But I don't see many real, young folks, so far, on Twitter either. I think you are right about the adults being around for sure. For me personally, when I was their age, I sure wanted to escape the adults ;) and did a pretty good job of it. Then I woke up and realized I had become an adult, what a rude awakening :p

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Like a lot of other people, Facebook is my way of keeping in touch with friends and family that live back home in Idaho, or other places besides right here in Huntsville.
    I know that facebook does a lot of their factchecking on political posts, but usually, you can read them anyway.

What I really love about facebook is the Facebook Groups !
    They have groups for about any kind of health/diet plan, which I enjoy a lot. I also belong to several of the Trump supporters political groups, and some of the ones that are just more like a patriot group.
    I love archeology and ancient civilizations, so I also belong to groups about that, plus Tartaria related groups.

Since I grew up in north Idaho, I also belong to several groups from that area, and enjoy posting pictures from when I was growing up there. Plus, we have a family private group that any of us can post family news, events, or pictures.
    It would have to be really bad before I left Facebook.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

I've never had a Facebook account. Have you ever received offers/advertisements that would lead you to believe that FB has sold your information?

13. Yvonne Smith

I have not received any offers, but the facebook ads are often tailored to things that I have researched online. I get ads for health foods, and things like that, and that is actually better than if I got facebook ads for stuff I have no interest in.
    So many places online track people now, that i don’t think it makes any difference whether a person has a social media account or not. I would probably get the same kind of ads whether i have facebook or not, I think, @John Brunner .
    I learn so much from the facebook history groups that just having the groups feature is worth while to me.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Here is a news article that talks about the sale of CNN to one of President Trump’s biggest supporters. I think that if they can turn CNN around, that will help wake up a lot of people who have been fed the fairy tales for the last few years.
    Since it is shown in public places like all airports, many people will be exposed to a conservative viewpoint for the first time in many years. Hopefully, they will report the actual news and let people decide what they think about it, instead of telling people what they want them to believe happened.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...porate-policies-followed-Zuckers-romance.html

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

I have not joined Truth Social yet, but once they get it up and running properly, I will get registered on there. Right now, it sounds like there is a long waiting time because so many people , all over the whole world, are trying to get an account there.
    Besides Facebook and Twitter, I also have social media accounts with Parler, Gab, and 107daily.com . I noticed this morning that Gab has now added what they call GabTV, which is similar to youtube, bitchute, or Rumble. It looks like it is free, and just part of the Gab membership; so I am going to do a bit more looking around on there this morning.

I do not think that either Facebook or Twitter will go away, there are still way too many people who use both platforms, and since that is where most of the liberals also go, it is kind of the “battlefield” for red-pilling liberals, and it is therefore necessary to stay on board with both platforms.

Don Alaska likes this.