Dr. Mcdougall, The Starch Solution Book. ( Vegan )

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am A+, so I fit right into your category. However, for almost all of my adult life, I have a avoided these foods because I thought they were fattening. Turns out that it is all the stuff we put on the potatoes that makes them unhealthy for us .

Strictly speaking, you are right that the only truly unprocessed foods would be fresh and raw, @Don Alaska . However, the way Dr. McDougall explained it, it is foods that go through any kind of a processing plant before we acquire them in an unnatural form. This would include most canned foods, too.
    I am eating the foods raw that are easy to eat that way, and cooking ones that are easier to eat when cooked, but they are all fresh and unprocessed when I get them from the store.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Veteran Member
    Registered

You raise an interesting point regarding processed vs fresh foods, @Yvonne Smith

I have always bought fresh produce when available, but the more I read about the rapid farm-to cannery cycles and farm-to-freezer cycles versus fresh produce's long-term-storage times and farm-to-store transport times, the more I wonder about lost nutrients when I cook "fresh."

I shall always prefer "fresh" asparagus and "fresh" broccoli to "processed" (mainly because of texture), but I don't know what I may be sacrificing in terms of nutrition...if anything.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

We raise as much of our own food as possible here, but have been buying meat for the past several years, as we no longer have livestock except a few chickens. Of necessity, we have to process our own food for storage as our growing season is quite short.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been on a low carb way of eating for as long as I can remember, at least the last 50 years, and things like starches and even fruit have been forbidden foods that i felt guilty about eating. And I still went through the yo-yo pattern of losing and gaining, and needing to starve myself for the scale to even move.
    Now, I am enjoying foods that I love, not going hungry, and still losing weight. Since I started back swimming, I have been rebuilding muscle, which has offset some of the weight loss, but my clothes are starting to feel looser, so I know that the fat is coming off, regardless of the scale being slow. Slow is fine, and better than not at all.
    I love fresh homemade bread, so I am going to find the bread machine and make a loaf of whole grain bread that Bobby and I can enjoy, and I am looking forward to having hot bread again. It has been a very long time for that.
    I found the Mcdougall cookbook second hand on amazon and ordered that, so now I am finding new recipe ideas to try out.