Do We Waste Our Time and Efforts?

Ken Anderson

Greeter
Staff member

I like this guy. I don't always agree with him, but he usually makes sense, in that, at least, I can see where he's coming from. Do we, perhaps, waste too much of our time fighting for the return of something we'll never see, or which we wouldn't be able to take advantage of even if we were successful?

I'm not suppressing my opinions or voting stupidly, but I don't waste money on political campaigns or time advocating for policy changes anymore. I might do some of this online, to have something to talk about, but I don't feel as if the world depends on my involvement.
 
I wouldn't want my children and grandchildren to go through the hard times that our generation did. I think when we look back at those days, we are inclined to see only the good times.

I found this video interesting. I clicked on his Walmart video thinking I would, for the first time ever, subscribe to a podcast. I didn't. I won't go into the details of why unless @Ken Anderson says it's OK to go off topic.

I do make donations to political candidates. There was a young man running for office for the first time two elections ago. I liked his stands on most things. He was a Christian and, obviously, not in favor of abortions. I sent him a message and expressed my view on abortion. I told him that I respected his view as a Christian, but it is his duty as an elected official to represent the views of his constituents. I said that if you take an anonymous poll, I think it would show that the majority of women are in favor of abortion up to twelve weeks. This was after the Supreme Court sent the issue back to the states. NC law allows abortion up to twelve weeks.

I send him a donation every election. I also send money to other candidates.

I think that if enough people let their candidates know what they expect, they will make a difference. But you have to let them know.
 
My contribution to political parties was US citizenship at a time mine was automatically void. A one way ticket of commitment which also closed other locations we had considered for retirement. You can only dance at one wedding.
SO saw way too much behind the covers. Some he could share. Some he could not share.
 
I don't feel like I need to agree with everything someone says in order to find them interesting. I subscribe to podcasters I disagree with.
 
I live in Maine. Our representatives rarely even visit the state, and it doesn't matter how they vote; we re-elect them anyhow because the other side always agrees to put someone up that is even worse.
 
I wouldn't want my children and grandchildren to go through the hard times that our generation did. I think when we look back at those days, we are inclined to see only the good times.

I found this video interesting. I clicked on his Walmart video thinking I would, for the first time ever, subscribe to a podcast. I didn't. I won't go into the details of why unless @Ken Anderson says it's OK to go off topic.

I do make donations to political candidates. There was a young man running for office for the first time two elections ago. I liked his stands on most things. He was a Christian and, obviously, not in favor of abortions. I sent him a message and expressed my view on abortion. I told him that I respected his view as a Christian, but it is his duty as an elected official to represent the views of his constituents. I said that if you take an anonymous poll, I think it would show that the majority of women are in favor of abortion up to twelve weeks. This was after the Supreme Court sent the issue back to the states. NC law allows abortion up to twelve weeks.

I send him a donation every election. I also send money to other candidates.

I think that if enough people let their candidates know what they expect, they will make a difference. But you have to let them know.
Um I can let them know by voting for them, and perhaps a letter of acknowledgement...but money Nooo, even if I had it to give.
But I admire your reasoning Shirley :)
 
Just like any difficulty in life, if we don't try and keep trying, then we fail. Any effort to improve life and humanity, isn't wasted, even if we come short of the goals we hoped to achieve.

I think careful evaluation of a situation, is necessary, before deciding if it will be a waste of time and efforts. Voting for example, an exercise in democracy, is never a waste, even in a state like mine where the national elections are decided before they get our votes counted.

For the first time in 40 years, we have a chance for electing a Republican governor. We have those that say why waste my time voting when Democrats control the state and always hold Multnomah County counts to last, to see how many votes they need to manufacture? I keep reminding them, that your vote certainly won't count if you don't vote and mail it in.

Will my vote be a waste of my time and effort? Maybe, but I will continue to exercise this valuable gift, paid for by the blood of those that died fighting so I had the right to vote. As long as I live and breathe, I will vote Republican. I am independent, but the only way to get back my state is by voting for the best candidate that can beat the corrupt to the core, Democrats. I suspect I will vote Democrat after I die.
 
Our country is a bit like the Titanic. It does not respond quickly. But it has been turning, bit by bit in the wrong direction. I may not have noticed or minded to start with but I stood up and am still standing since Ron Paul ran for president last time. I even swayed some voters who said he could not possibly win. I did not understand that it was because he was uncontrollable by the powerful. But I understand more and I will stand up and even send some money now or our ship will definitely turn the wrong way and be very hard to turn back.
 
Back
Top