Cost Of Living Adjustments

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Sheldon Scott, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Our Aetna Medicare Advantage Plan does not include dental or vision coverage. We have to buy those separately.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Isn't it 'free' if you buy medicare part C?

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I believe Medicare Part C refers to Advantage plans, which are privately offered. There are a lot of different plans available, with pros and cons. While my wife was dealing with some health problems with many prescription medications, the AARP program worked well for her because it paid most of the costs for these. Once she got off most of the medicines, another plan was better because it offered other things that she needed. I use a plan called Martin's Point. It offers a lot for little but, except for emergency care, it's only good in Maine and New Hampshire. That works for me because the only thing I can imagine needing outside of Maine would be emergency care while traveling, and that hasn't happened yet.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Registered

Not to worry. I was in Vermont with an emergency and Medicare and my supplemental covered all of it. Just a little fancy footwork with misplaced paperwork ( not uncommon these days).

5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I've looked in the past at Martins and everything was a drive (long) for me

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's interesting. The hospital and all three of the medical clinics here accept it.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I got an email from the SS Administration earlier titled "Log on to MySocialSecurity.com to See Your Increased Benefit for 2023!" (In case someone can't figure out 8.7% of their current benefit. o_O) So out of curiosity I logged in, because I hadn't in a while and wanted to poke around the website a bit. Of course the "increased benefit" was not available and won't be until early December, so I went ahead and calculated it for myself.

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Well we best get to shopping fast since the toon is about to get us nuked. Well at least we won't have to worry about paying off CC. Hubby hates paying interest on them ,guess what I told him?

Denise Evans and Mary Stetler like this.
  9. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't agree more John. Plus the fact that all of our needs (and wants) all seem to be double the price. I don't see the end of that in sight. I figure the money-mongers/elites see that we're all paying the higher prices for everything, why lower them. But wages for many haven't met the cost of living for years now. Every day there are more homeless people but the rich appear to be no worse off than before. The bible says we'll always have the poor, it just isn't clear on how many before it's all over. November 8th best turn the tide or we're in for a lot worse.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, a lot to be said for saving up for what we need, or want isn't there Marie. If I get some saved though, something comes up like needs for new tires etc. That's ok though, I feel I am fortunate to have the money for those "sort of" emergencies ;) knock on wood :)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

I know what you're saying, it's always something here tearing up or falling apart.

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Registered

I feel that whatever I have saved up will be eaten up by inflation and then they will raise taxes on property. Food is not a problem for me until they outlaw home produced food. Money will be digitized so cash in the mattress won't do much good. That is how they pushed everyone into the stock market. Crashing that looks pretty easy. Just one more super emergency.
    Yay! Glad the government will take care of all of us.
    Still waiting to see if the SS increase is eaten up by medicare increase.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    Denise Evans and Marie Mallery like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

It is unbelievable how much control we let them have over us. But all we can do is just hope for the best and not let it affect us much as possible.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've not yet posted this here because I don't want to be a tool in the effort to overwhelm folks...the USDA is pushing to have folks "register their gardens" with the Federal government.

I started a new thread on this in the Gardening forum.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

Funny, this year of all years, to get a big increase in SS, not that any of us are fooled by it not meaning more taxes, atleast for the working-class, or higher taxes at the pumps, etc. Nor am I, for one, fooled into thinking this administration doesn't have a ulterior motive, like, who to vote for:
    upload_2022-10-23_9-53-50.jpeg umm, not as long as I have one, remaining brain-cell left.

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.