Colby Cheese

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not around here. There's one in Bangor, about seventy miles away, but their website doesn't give me any ideas as to what they carry, as it speaks only of a selection of artisan cheese.

Bill Boggs and John Brunner like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe you could ask the store manager to order some Colby. Many times they will try to stock a requested product.

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

My rat cheese was in the forties, I suspect that was the stores designation. Later called a longhorn cheese
    it tasted like a good colby.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Just for grins, I looked for cheese shops near me as well. There's a Trappist Monastery about an hour away where the nuns make cheese (it actually might make for a nice trip), and then a farm that makes & sells goat cheeses and has a "snuggling" zoo further out than that. The nuns sell one kind of cheese, and you gotta buy in 2# wheels.

The state capitol has a place that sells the high-end stuff (tastings for $75/person for a 4 person group minimum.) My palate ain't that refined.

And that's it.

I guess a well-stocked grocery store is the best bet. For me, that's a 45-50 mile round trip. Now I see why the Murray's kiosks in Kroeger's are so popular. There's really no competition.

Bill Boggs and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. John Brunner

I have not heard of Longhorn in a good long while.

I just looked it up on the web: "Longhorn is a style of American Colby cheese."

It's called "Longhorn" because of its shape:
    [​IMG]

I had no idea.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

I've done that with other things and if it's something they carry in their other stores, it's no problem. Ours is a smaller Hannaford store, which doesn't ordinarily carry everything that the larger Hannaford stores carry, but Hannaford doesn't carry Colby at all.

Hannaford and Shaw's are about the only grocery chains we have in central or northern Maine, and Shaw's website is down so I don't know if they're even in business anymore.

Yeah, Longhorn is a type of Colby cheese. It's the one that I'm most familiar with.

I almost ordered some online today but I couldn't bring myself to do it. When the shipping charges equal the product charge, I just can't do it.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

I didn't see it in the Lincoln Walmart, but that's one of the smaller ones.

8. John Brunner

Great Value brand Colby is in stock at Bangor and Brewer Walmarts. Reviews are mixed, including One Star for someone who had it come up in a search for "vegan." That's no reason to dis the cheese.

As I said earlier, I've not found anything other than house brands in the stores near me. Kroger is a nationwide chain and they only have their house brand of Colby (although one store has a 1# horn under "Private Selection" label, probably a deli item.) "Instacart" has a pic of an 8 oz.package of Kraft Colby cheese from an internet search link, but when you try to order it, you get a bunch of Kraft "colby jack" options or local house brand colby options.

When I search my local Kroeger's website for a block of "cheddar," I find Kroeger, Cabot, Kraft, Tillamook, Cracker Barrel, Murray's, Beecher's, Boars Head, Private Selection, Moovelous, and others. I can get mild, sharp, extra sharp, Vermont, white, sharp white, etc. At least a couple dozen options.

Where's the love for Colby?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

I just received my second online order of Colby Cheese. Although I reordered the same product that I had the first time, I received something different. The first order that I received was Longhorn Colby, encased in red wax, which is what I am used to in Colby Cheese. Receiving a second order of what was supposed to be the same thing, I received a roll of the same size, but it is unlabeled and wrapped only in plastic. I haven't tried it yet, and it may prove to be just fine, but it's not what I expected.

10. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Colby disappeared from the Seattle metro area several years ago, unless you count the colby jack blend, which I don't. After practically living on Colby for years, I have grieved its loss..

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is surprising that it would disappear around Seattle, since you are so close to the Tillamook Cheese factory, @D’Ellyn Dottir. All I have seen out here in Alabama is the Colby jack, but since I like both, it was not an issue to me, an you would think that it would be harder to make it mixed than to make just plain Colby cheese and plain Jack cheese.

Also, welcome to the forum !
    There is a place under the “notices and announcements” section of the forum, for introductions, if you would like to tell us a little bit more about yourself, and we can officially welcome you there.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Perhaps I need to move to Colby, Wisconsin.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  13. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith thank you. And yes, ironic and surprising, although as I think about it, I'm not sure the Colby I could get was Tillamook brand. I think it was Kraft.

14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

That wasn’t its name, I’m sure. But I could say give me a pound of rat cheese and he knew exactly what I wanted. It was the cheapest cheese in the store. There was no packaged, only cheese in the cold box. It was a small store, Davenport Grocery. The owner, Rall Davenport was my mother’s cousin and we traded there for years. He gave credit to the likes of us who often also found themselves in need of a place to live? We once had to move into a tent on the banks of the Wichita River, but we still drove to the Davenport grocery to buy.what groceries we could afford.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  15. Ken Anderson

I just received another 3 lb. Colby Cheese. I've ordered Colby four times now, and, while it comes from the same cheese manufacturer in Wisconsin, sometimes it comes encased in wax while, at other times, it's wrapped in plastic, and I think it tastes better and lasts longer when it's encased in wax. This one was wrapped in plastic. Long ago, I noticed that cheese tastes much better when it's thinly sliced than when it's thickly sliced. This is true of Colby and Cheddar, anyhow. Thick slabs of Gouda are just fine. I'm talking about slicing it thinly, not about pre-sliced cheese. I rarely buy pre-sliced cheese.

John Brunner likes this.