Buying A 2021 Dodge Durango Gt

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 18, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually the salesman showed us the battery. He pulled the seat all the way back and the lid that covers the battery is right there. Lift up the one end and the lid comes off. Right there is the battery. And, we bought this vehicle knowing the battery was there.

The oil filler cap is on top of something that appears to be a housing over the carburetor. The windshield washing fluid container is huge, that is, compared to the old 2005 Durango we had.

IOW, anything, and I do mean "anything" happens/breaks down on this Durango, it goes directly to the Dodge Dealer. We paid for three Repair Plans that will pretty much take care of anything on this vehicle. We have a Goodyear credit card, but don't know if we will ever use them again. But, when we need new tires, will get them at either Goodyear or Big "O". Will probably put the same type of tires on that our old Durango had (Wrangler All-Terrain).

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

:eek:

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Have a question here for you "backyard" auto mechanics (I use to be one): Have a OBII Scanning Tool that I used on our old 2005 Dodge Durango if the Engine Malfunction Light came on. I found out by doing some research where that is plugged into, HOWEVER, the Owners Manual states "Only have a qualified technician look at it." Does that mean that I shouldn't use this Scanning Tool, if, by chance, the Engine Check Light (same as Engine Malfunction Light) should come on?

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Anyone have an answer here? Even a guess would be ok. :D

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We are not going to tell you unless you have an avatar.
    @Ken Anderson has spoken, do not interact with people who do not put up an avatar of some kind.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

If all you want to do is read codes, there's no reason why you can't plug the scanner into the port on your vehicle. In fact, if you go to a local auto parts store they will often go out to the car and read the codes for you. (At least the Pep Boys here will do that.)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The owner’s manual for your old Durango probably said the exact same thing.

By the bye, you need an Avatar. Good rodeo people dress accordingly to the specs and good writers on SoC go according to the specs too.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

There you go! Avatar back.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Called the Dealership today and talked to a guy we know there. He asked me, "why do you want to check out the code? Just bring it to us and we will check it out and fix the reason why the Check Engine Light came on." I told him, "we bought the scanner, because the Check Engine Light, on our old 2005 Durango, kept coming on intermittently and we didn't want to get whatever was wrong fixed, due to cost. So, I'd use the scanner to turn the Check Engine Light off."

Apparently, there was something wrong in the main computer, but it wasn't affecting the operation of the vehicle. We kept driving the old Durango and drove it all the way here to Nevada from northern Colorado without a problem.

If, and when, the Check Engine Light/Malfunction Light, comes on, I will, if I can find the plug-in spot for the scanner, run the scanner and see what it says. That is, if the scanner that we have will even plug into this 2021 Durango.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. John Brunner

If you got an extended warranty, I'm not sure you want to tell the dealer that when the CEL light comes on, you're gonna just turn it off.

I guess it's too late.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not turn it off our new Durango GT, only try to connect the Scanner up to it and read/research the codes. We only turned off the CEL (Check Engine Light) on the 2005. Would never jeopardize our new Durango by doing something like "shut off the CEL".

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

The dealer doesn't know that. If you have a maintenance plan, they don't want you messing with it at all.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, we have a maintenance plan, but simply plugging in the Scanner to get codes, and research them, wouldn't hurt anything. Guess the guy at the dealership doesn't like anyone doing anything to their own vehicle. If the Scanner does fit into the connection, there is no reason why I couldn't check to see what the code/codes are and research them myself. I mean, when necessary, I do have to add air to tires, add oil and windshield wiper fluid. We've already got rid of some extra things that we had for our old Durango. Because of the plans we did buy, I wouldn't try to repair anything on this Durango and, plugging in a Scanner to check Repair Codes, if the Scanner does fit, definitely isn't a "repair" thing.