Buying A 2021 Dodge Durango Gt

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 18, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, got the Radio ID number and checked SiriusXM for any subscriptions. The area read that we have all of the music programs, including ones that we'd never listen to and the subscription doesn't renew until February 29th, 2024. What we are wondering is, did the previous owner do a year-long subscription, because, from what I've read, a subscription is paid monthly. Unless the previous owner used a credit card and done an "automatic" pay-by-the-month subscription. Anyway, we will wait a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Our temporary license paper plate goes until November 15. Guess the new registration and license plate will come to the dealership. I took the dealerships license plate frame off and put our Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association frame on. Just now ordered a dash cover. Our old dash cover is WAY to big for this Durango. New dash cover with have a logo word RODEO with a bronc rider on it. My PRCA window sticker will go on the rear window, as well as NFR 2023 (we will buy at NFR Cowboy Christmas) and a Team Roping window sticker ("header" and "heeler"). Other side of rear window will have my U.S. Navy Vietnam Veteran window sticker. On windshield, drivers side edge, will put on our Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame Member window sticker.

Anyway, it's absolutely unbelievable how many people were at the DMV. A lady employee told us that many, many are moving to Henderson from both Texas and So. California.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yesterday (Monday) went to the dealership and bought two more "Fix/Repair/Replace" Packages.

One covers the battery. IOW, a new battery every 18 months (if we want it). The battery in this vehicle seems to be as powerful as a law enforcement officers patrol car. That being, all of the equipment in a patrol car that uses the car battery and all of the electronics/lights in this 2021 Durango that its battery uses.

The other Package covers the FOB (Keyless Remote) for this vehicle. Battery or entire FOB replacement.

Thru Bluetooth, connected both of our iPhone 12's up to the Uconnect. Can make a call, receive one and listen to all music that we've saved on our iPhones. It's a pretty neat feature! The iPhone isn't used at all. It's all done on the screen on the dashboard.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't forget to look out the front window when driving. ;)

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

UConnect might also be able to access directions from your phone's NAV software.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

This morning, bought the 5-year Plan from Guidepoint to go with the GPS Tracker that the dealership installed on the vehicle. I now have their App on my iPhone and will put on my wife's iPhone as well. That way, no matter who drives our new Durango, even a Dodge Dealership Serviceman takes it for a "check" drive, due to a repair/replacement of something, we will find out.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. John Brunner

My car came with a 3 year trial subscription to XM. It sounds like the one that came with your truck must have started in Feb 2021. If you sign up after the trial expires, your contract renews annually (the contract locks your price in for 12 months) and your credit card is charged monthly. You can get a discount when your contract is up for renewal if you threaten to cancel...they'll automatically offer it rather than lose your business.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Found out last night, from a guy that has been working for the Dealership for many, many years, that we have more computers things on this 2021 Durango GT than we thought. Sensors for: tire pressure (each tire), oil level/pressure, brake linings, coolant level and a few other things. All can be seen with a few buttons on the left side of steering wheel.

We also have "Stop n Start" and a switch to shut it off. To save the starter, we shut it off. Both of our side mirrors are heated!

So, other than a couple of missing "extras", like a caution light on both side mirrors that comes on when you plan on changing lanes, but someone is coming up along the side of you. This 2021 Durango has everything and, like John told me, "will take some time to learn it all". But, I'm learning and teaching my wife.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. John Brunner

Sounds like it's nearly fully loaded.

Some model vehicles with Stop 'n Start only disable it for that driving session; in other words, every time to start the car, you gotta remember to disable it again.

9. John Brunner

I forgot to mention...those Start 'n Stop features do not necessarily use the starter. Some cars restart the engine by squirting a little gas in one of the cylinders and firing the spark plug to turn the motor over. Mazda used to have that feature but discontinued it on cars sold in the states. While my car gets decent mileage, for some reason it really sucks down the gas when it's idling (according to the computer.) If you're in an area with lots of traffic lights and idling time, keeping that feature on might actually save you some real money. But if it relies on the starter and not the method I described, I'd keep it off, too.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wow, didn't know this until yesterday..........the anti-freeze/coolant that is in this Durango will last for 10 years/150,000 miles. Special formula for this Durango. And, not sure if I mentioned this, the vehicle battery isn't under the hood. It's under the passenger side in the front. Under the hood are two connections for, if needed, jump-starting the vehicle. The positive connection goes directly to the battery (somehow) and the negative connection is just a "ground" bar by the engine.

This 2021 Durango is surprising the heck out of both of us!!

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Exactly where is the battery located "under the passenger side in the front?" If not under the hood then how do you get to it?

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

I had to scratch my head over that one, too. Apparently, it's under the passenger seat. It brought to mind the original VW Beetles, whose batteries (6vdc/positive ground) were under the back bench seat.

The next question is "How much crap is jammed in the engine compartment such that there's no room for the battery?"

The question after that is "How at risk is the passenger's bottom from a battery 'event'?"

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So if the battery explodes or leaks acid, it's right there in the cabin? Sounds great.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

Being old school, I wondered the same thing. But sealed batteries have been around for a very long time.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Our RV had sealed house batteries under the steps. One of them managed to swell and nearly explode, releasing that "rotten egg" smell. I don't want to sit on that, thanks.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.