Buying A 2021 Dodge Durango Gt

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 18, 2023.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

And, you already signed papers and put money down, Right?

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You go first.

[​IMG]

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes. But, after looking for a Durango for weeks in northern Colorado, and finding nothing due to too high of milage, as well as cost, we simply waited until we moved here. My wife didn't want high milage, but could settle for one in the $30,000 plus cost area and that's exactly what we found. Of course, with all of the extra fees, as in: sales tax, documentation and a great dealer service plan, the cost went somewhat over what we had planned on spending. And, we didn't even get three of the four extras that we were told about. The installed GPS Tracking comes with the Durango and wasn't an "option" to get. That's $500 that was added onto the original cost.

We left a $1,000 deposit, so the SUV could be moved to the back lot "Waiting Area", where it wouldn't be sold. This last Wednesday we went to our bank and got a Cashiers Check for the rest of the amount (minus the $1,000 deposit).

IOW, Mary, we "seen, drove and liked" the vehicle enough to say "yes" to buying it.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

And, yesterday, we stopped at a local U-Haul to have them order a tow bar/hitch for the new Durango. The one on our 2005 wouldn't fit on this 2021. That was another $600 to buy and them install, which is much lower than the dealer wanted.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

My manual is 700 pages. And there are separate "guides" for the smart phone interface stuff, for the stereo system, for the NAV system, etc. You ain't learnin' nuthin' quick, my friend. If you can find the manual online, download it so you can electronically search and read. I use the pdf manual more than I use the physical one.

Here's a Car & Driver article on the 2021 Durango. It links to a full spec sheet. The article says this about the Infotainment stuff in your SUV: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard with both screens. A rear-seat entertainment system, also optional, adds dual screens and provides HDMI and RCA ports to connect even more devices.

So you can hook your smartphones up to the stereo, and CD/DVD players were available options. Sounds like the KBB sheet was pulled for a fully loaded Durango.

6. John Brunner

I had the dealer do the hitch on my Mazda because it hugs the underside tighter (does not hang down as low as the aftermarket ones.) They have to cut a notch out of the plastic bumper to install the factory hitch because it rides so high. I think the factory one was maybe $100 more than the aftermarket guys at the time. The current cost for it is $550...but the CX-5 has a Class II hitch. Yours is probably a Class III like my truck.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Our Apple iPhones are iOS not Android.

When I done the KBB sheet for our 2005 Durango, I had to pick certain things that are on it/in it. The word "Included" wasn't there. The CD/MP3 Player still gets us as well as the DVD System. Just can't figure out why that was "Included" on the KBB sheet.

We have the Owner's Manual online, but the actual Manual I would read inside the Durango as I look at different things.

8. John Brunner

Yup.

Your Durango has Apple CarPlay installed. (It also has the software for Droids.) It interfaces with your iPhone.

Here is an Apple article on it.

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't go to dealers for anything.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, since we bought a 5-year Max Care Package from the Dealer, we have to go to the Dealer for most repairs, if needed. For brakes, tires and things that aren't covered by this Package, we will go to Goodyear. For tires, Big "O", for Wrangler AT (like we had on our old 2005 Durango).

On our other Durango, our warranty package ran out. In Florida, for some "engine related" work, including replacing fuel injectors, we took to Dodge Dealer/Service. Took to Midas a couple of times, then decided "no more". Would also use Goodyear at times (brakes/suspension). When we returned to Colorado, we found a privately owned repair shop for our engine and used Les Schwab for the rest. Les Schwab doesn't do engine work.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

What is a "Droid"? I think a friend of ours has a Droid iPhone.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

The word “Droid” is just short for the Android operating system , just like Chevy is short for Chevrolet, Cody. I am waiting to hear how you are like the brand new Durango now that you have turned in the old one and brought home your new one ?

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Picked up the 2021 Durango GT yesterday. Salesman gave us two FOB keys, a Uconnect Radio Manual and a Guidepoint Consumer Getting Started Guide. I got the iPhone App, but the salesman didn't give us an ESN# or Activation Card# on the Getting Stated Guide. I tried to register, but registration wanted a ESN or Activation number, of which we don't have either. Can tell this is a fairly new salesman, with very little experience. Sorry to say that, but.

No Owners Manual given to us either, so we ordered on online from e-bay for $24. Our online Dodge site wanted $55 for the same manual.

Now, for driving it: Wonderful, absolutely WONDERFUL is all I can say! A real "dream" to drive! For a V-6 3.6L engine, it sure has the "get up and go"!
    Will be connecting our main iPhone (mine) to the Uconnect (Bluetooth) as well as buying a small CD Player to USB plug-in or connect thru Bluetooth. Will also be getting a subscription to SirusXM for a few months (at least).
    We are learning more and more about all the different (new/high-tech) things on the vehicle. The front and rear lights up like a Christmas tree! The Sun Roof has a button for "Vent", to only open slightly and a "Auto" to open it fully. There is a slide open-close cover inside the vehicle for the sunroof.
    The quietness, while driving, is absolutely unbelievable! All of the windows are somewhat "soundproof".

To us, it's a real "dream vehicle"!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

New to us, but not brand new. It's a 2021. But, have already posted about it and driving it.

15. John Brunner

Sorry. I guess there is a Droid phone. I was abbreviating Android.

The entertainment systems of modern vehicles are already loaded with the software to interface with our phones...both Androids and iPhones. No "App" on the phone itself is required...just Plug 'n Play (and learn.)