Anyone Here, Use To Or Still Ride Motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Jake Smith, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Boys and their toys @Marie Mallery

This is a photo when he was packed ready for a trip to Darwin which was 3000 km + one way
    This would be around 2003 , because we sold that home mid 2004
    He Carried a swag and clothing / tiny cookware in that big roll / think the smaller roll had a chair / folding table
    @Marie Mallery

IMG_6461.jpeg

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Was the trip before or after the wreck? Kate boys will be boys, that's why they need us girls.:D

Jake Smith likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Jake said, thats a nice bike.

Jake Smith and Kate Ellery like this.
  4. Kate Ellery

Registered

After he had the spill @Marie Mallery he bought the bike new in 1996 , he had to get the tank repainted and replace the handle bars and mirrors I know it cost him allot of $$$ for BMW parts he could fix himself ( he was a mechanic) still is are he dose all our servicing on our car

His bike was put into storage when we sold the house and he sold it in 2008 ( I just asked what year it was ) 2 years after moving into our new home at the time .

I tried to talk him out of selling it but he felt the need for speed …and I'm not sure he’d be still be alive if he’d kept the bike

Im sure Jake would understand what DH meant

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

I feel the same way but who knows, I just know I may not have survived worrying about him on the bike.:eek::DJake was a bit of a daredevil.

Jake Smith likes this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Registered

My DH as well , @Marie Mallery and mine didn’t like all the trimmings on bikes like windshields and all them fancy plastic bits he liked the Bare boner as he called it …only his panniers so he could carry stuff to travel which he did 3 times
    He was in the Ulysses club for over 40’s so for 3 years he rode his bike to a different city to attend meetings
    One such ride was in Bunbury western Aust …..so he rode up the centre of Australia …to Darwin NT …… then down the coast to Bunbury WA ..long long way out of his way .

This map shows where he traveled ( he was away 6 weeks ) but I flew to Bunbury to meet up,with him half way through his trip

From Adelaide to Darwin ….Darwin to Bunbury….Bunbury to Adelaide

IMG_6464.jpeg

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thats a long way.

Jake Smith likes this.
  8. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I rode my brother's Honda 90 (I think) about 20 miles through a canyon. Never had any training; just watched him. I was thinking, "well, this is fun but I feel too vulnerable to make it a habit," so I never rode one again.

Jake Smith likes this.
  9. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

He had to be a great rider, to do trips like that. I did S.C. to Atlanta, to see Marie, and that seemed like a long ride, of course, I did it almost non-stop. I never had a windshield or things like that on mine, just a sissy bar and a kick bar in front, guess you could call it that, not sure; to place your feet up, on long rides. When I came back home to Marie she had got rid of my bike. :(

Years later, still not happy about it, but life goes on. :)

10. Jake Smith

Registered

It's addicting for sure. I always loved the adrenaline rush; it would give you, which made me want to go faster and faster. I know that's not careful, but I loved it and couldn't give it up until another injury made me have to. :(

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I rode a motorcycle one time. Sitting behind an old boyfriend in the 60s. When we hit the ruts, and we both bounced up off the seat, I decided it wasn't my cup of tea. Maybe if I were in the driver's seat it might have been different.

Jake Smith likes this.
  12. Jake Smith

Registered

True, it may have been different for you, I always love the driver's seat more myself, controlling where it goes, and the speed. :)

13. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I sold my last motorcycle when I reached the the age of 60 thinking it would be nice to see what 60+ was like. I was fairly lucky up to that point and didn't want to take anymore chances. Then two years later I got the bug and bought a nice "safe" 150cc Kymco scooter. A lady drove into me at an intersection and I spent a week in the hospital with 5 broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung. I healed but still get back pain once in a while.

Beth Gallagher and Jake Smith like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My first husband was a biker; he still owns a Sportster. Back in the day we could only afford to be Yamaha riders so I had a 350 street bike and he rode a 650. I spent many days hanging off the sissy bar. I had a motorcycle operator's license up until about 10 years ago when I dropped it. I need to see if I can find some old pics from the late 70's. I used to know a lot about bikes (models, specs, etc.) but I have forgotten more than I know now.

Ed Wilson and Jake Smith like this.
  15. Jake Smith

Registered

That's cool, Beth, love to see the photos. I rode a couple of my sisters boyfriends bikes, that were Yamaha 350, and a 650, they were fast too. I rode them hard too; I loved it; it was before I was a teenager. :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.