Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher What pressing buttons might do is finish discharging any storage capacitors that regulate the board. Generally, 20 seconds (I like 30 seconds) will discharge any capacitors on any computer board and allow the system to reset. As long as such an electronic device is plugged in, some of these control boards have power even though the main appliance switch is off. In the case of a laptop, one may have to pull the battery to discharge the capacitors in a circuit that operates continually such as a timer circuit. Always try a reboot before calling a service person. Pushing buttons before unplugging doesn't make any sense to me unless that model uses that system for a reboot. I have always just unplugged my dishwasher, microwave, and washer for a reboot.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw some other youtube videos that say this is a control board problem, so I might just order a new board. It looks fairly straight-forward to replace but I wonder if I should spend $200 on a board for an 11-year old washer.

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I would say NO! Just like any computer its brain gets full and confused after 11 years and a reset does the trick. Chances are it will fail mechanically before the board goes. If all the functions work as they should, it isn't a permanent control board problem. My dishwasher has only 2 functions that work but I won't pay $350 for a board just to get functions I can live without.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, my hubby got a heavy duty power strip out of the garage and plugged the washer into it. Now I don't need a ladder to reset it. :D

Don Alaska, Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was having problems with control board on my gas range. The clock would reset itself. The board would power off. All sorts of weird stuff would happen. The only possible negative affect would be if I had been baking something and the control board shut the oven down...the top burners aren't affected by it.

I bought a new control board online and I guess it got "Scared Straight." It's been working without fail since the UPS guy showed up with the replacement parts 2 years ago.

I agree with Faye. There's lots of mechanical stuff in that washing machine that has 11 years of wear on it.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My rheumatology doctor informed me this morning by text that the knee x-rays were not readable.
    I had hard time just finding a place to have them done, because where he sent me is not on my insurance. Okay I will deal with that later. Went to my appt. with urologist for a check up on something we took care of last month. While there I mentioned while giving the urine sample today, there was a tiny tiny spot of blood on underwear. Um ,no good, especially when I told her this had twice before last few months. Wants a pelvic sonogram done. They had me contacted by the same place as before, and they do not take the insurance. In fact that place will not even let you pay on your own ? So, I called a few places on my own. No such luck. I finally told one place - fine I will just die then and hung up :mad:. My bad, shameful really. Why is the simplest of things, the hardest to accomplish? :(
    So now i wait while someone tries to find a place for me to go, and hopefully it is not 50 miles away. i am thinking they will send me to place i had knee x-rays done. That is at the hospital radiology dept!
    So very frustrating ,almost makes me wish i had said nothing. :(

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I had a rant and thought it was a good one too but then I looked back at a couple of the other rants and figured my rant wasn’t as ranty as the other rants so I’ll just keep it to myself until such a time when mine will merit at least a sad face or something.

Maybe that’s my rant. My rants aren’t as cool as ya’ll’s.

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Gloria, do you have a gynecologist? Some of them do the sonogram in their office.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

i do, but only see him for pap test..last one 2019. i had forgotten about that. Sigh will see what happens.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

:)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. John Brunner

The battery on my cell phone is swollen and pushing off the back of the phone. I should have put the money into a new phone, but I'm still procrastinating on whether to get an old [used] Apple setup (phone/watch) and keep this Droid, or get a new Apple setup and cut the Droid cord. I found that I don't want to tackle this myself and Mr. Fix It in Charlottesville can replace it for $70. They ordered the battery, it came in Saturday, so I drove out there today to have them install it. "It takes an hour" says the guy on the phone. "You don't need to make an appointment." I made the 1/2 hour drive and arrived at 11:30. "There are 2 jobs in front of you. It will be 2 1/2 hours. Pick it up at 2PM."

I decided to leave it there since I already made the trip, then drove across town to do some shopping, grab lunch, and try to kill time. I did get to go to my favorite Indian grocery store and buy some Basmati rice and Methi (fenugreek) seeds. I go back to Mr. Fix It at 2PM and the guy tells me that the battery the ordered arrived with a broken connector. "We can reinstall your old battery, but I don't like to do that. It may explode." I ask: "You mean it may explode when you reinstall it and apply power, or it's a ticking bomb?" He replies: "It's a ticking bomb." I said: "Reinstall it." I mean, I gotta have a phone.

Four hours of my day shot killing time for a battery that did not get installed. The store is located in one of those small open air malls with the bricked walkways in the original part of town that has a theatre and a bunch of specialty shops that barely survive, yet it's "hip & chic" because it's so damned inconvenient to get to and there's no parking nearby. Typical university town: "It's screwed up, so it's gotta be special." At least today was a holiday. I asked the guy if the tiny parking garage overfilled during the work week (a perpetual gripe of business owners there) and what my options were, and he just told me to come in on Tuesday or Thursday, since they seem to be the slowest days. *sigh*

4 hours of my day shot killing time in a city I don't really like that much, and I'm worse off than I started...I got an unrepaired time bomb strapped to my hip. And I have to go back to "that place" during the work week and try to find parking in an area I am unfamiliar with. I'm kinda laughing at me whining about Charlottesville "traffic," having lived in the DC area for nearly 50 years. But at least in the DC suburbs, it may be crowded but there is plenty of parking. Charlottesville is a 5# city with 10# of crap stuffed in it.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

13. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The battery is swollen? OMG! Have you checked to make sure it's not leaking?

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Anyone can rant huh? Ok buckle up!

We are so short of help right now that I got bounced back and forth today between two different positions because no one would come in to cover for the sick girl. Then I see that some of our new employees can't spell for God sake. How did that application get through? I've noticed more and more that many people can't spell let alone put together a reasonably decent complete sentence. Crap like that really chaps my hide.

I better stop there. We don't want me to get going. It would be like coasting downhill on a bicycle at 900 mph. with no brakes.

15. John Brunner

It's funny, this is the risk of keeping it on the charger all_the_time. I've had the phone for several years and it is never off the charger unless I take it when I go shopping. It just started to swell recently.

Bobby Cole likes this.