Anyone Do Any Home Canning?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Marie Mallery, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

That was 16 kg of fresh apricots on our drying rack which is an old screen door @Beth Gallagher
    @Marie Mallery
    I don’t use any chemicals in my garden so it’s what some refer to as organic garden

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Nobody lived here since the early 50s when we bought the place and we haven't ever used chemicls here except on our hyfroponics we tried the organic but it just stunk too much. So we went to Master Blend for that but but flushed the reservour with it in it.
    We try to stay organic too.
    Right before I got sick I built a hugluculture pile thats not suppose to need any fertilizer once the logs and brush break down. I was weeding it when I had my stroke. Most people use heavy equipment but I did it by hand and hand truck. Daughter helped.

Huglekultur mound ,

[​IMG]

3. Sunny Bonet

Sunny Bonet Well-Known Member
    Registered

Nope, never had any interest in canning. I can find everything that fits my needs in the grocery store. I have family that cans, just never found it worth the effort and expense.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you!
    I bought some 're-useable' lids on amazon. If they work, it might be worth the investment to buy enough for a season. They are quite pricey.

Marie Mallery and Tony Page like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Registered

That looks like what my daughter planted the potatoes in.:)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

It would be a boring world if we were all the same wouldn’t it ??

My mother or any family members NEVER canned or even grew fruit when I was a youngster mainly because we grew up in a fairy desolate / dry isolated town ,

However I moved to a fruit growing area 500 km away from where I grew up and that spiked my interest of growing my own own fruit ,it was the first time in my life I’d left the town in my 25 years .

I’d never even seen a actual apricot tree before I was 25 ( I’m 75 now ) .
    Then all the fruit canning factories stated closing because canned fruit could be bought cheaper from China than paying for the upkeep of the huge factories/ wages ect in Australia

Now days where I live in South Aust I cannot find a can of fruit that’s not labelled made in China or Twain
    or the odd can that may say made in New Zealand but we all know it’s shipped to Australia from NZ but canned in
    China so with that thought I mind the day I can no longer can my own fruit is the day a I give up eating any preserved fruit 5B79B5D8-A587-405B-B10A-B9997C4A7695.gif

7. Mary Stetler

Registered

You are so right. When all the dogs seemed to be getting cancer, daughter started growing rabbits and making her own dog (and people) food. I have friends from China who have a restaurant. The don't want any imports from China although there isn't anything in stores that isn't made there unless you look really hard. The good thing about being 71 is that I have the time to do what I want. I even like weeding the garden two days after a good rain.
    I am with you on preserving food. It will be quite a while before you won't be able to DRY your fruit-- and they look fabulous!

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Marie: I've thought of canning Italian tomatoes this year (I've never canned before.) I see you've got a set up I was considering so I could do it all outside.

How does that work for you? Got any tips?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Marie Mallery and Tony Page like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

When I lived in the mountains off the grid, I canned about everything including meat. I also dried a lot of fruits and some veggies. Fresh spring flowing spring water and a lot of firewood and I was set for many months. I don't have the desire or the energy to can anymore.

10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't.

Sunny Bonet likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

It works fine for us doing it on the porch wih a good canner and little tailgater burner canner sits right on top of like it was made for it,it wasn't od corse,lol. Below is the canner we use after trying others for a few years we bit the expense bullet and went for the best one.

https://www.everythingkitchens.com/all-american-pressure-cooker-921.html?msclkid=2fa53b50b8fc149792225ba256881a53&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CPCS - Bing Shopping&utm_term=1101200802035&utm_content=Catch All

[​IMG]

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thats a lot of potatoes if its this big,ours is 25X6 and 3 foot deep with some of the logs about big around as barrel,others not so big thats why I need a hand truck to roll them up on then put in the ditch I dug.
    It took 3 years to break down enough to sow in .But it worked good for watermelons,tomatoes,peppers,etc, first year.It worked long as I could work it.

[​IMG]

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you for help.We try to use only Ball or Mason some of the off brands with pop off in the process and thats no fun.:eek:.Alot of extra work.I do appreciate the info though Mary.

Tony Page and Sunny Bonet like this.
  14. Sunny Bonet

Sunny Bonet Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh indeed it would be VERY boring if we were all the same. Unless of course everybody was like ME. lol I'm kidding, I'm kidding! :D I don't think there's any worry of the entire population being/thinking the same, though.;) Viva la diferance!. I'm just glad that we're still allowed (to date anyway) to voice our differences.

15. Mary Stetler

Registered

Yup they are round as a barrel but broken up into 5 and six foot sections. Those watermelons look yummy but would have smothered under the potato plants.

Marie Mallery likes this.