Your Relationship With Your Doctor

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Amy Read, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

And they almost go overboard in the side effects, I listen and wonder who in their right mind, no matter what they have would take that drug that might kill them or cause cancer

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  2. Amy Read

Amy Read Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes it is really hard to find a doctor whom you can trust and those who is really concerned about the medical condition of your health and whom will treat you not only as a patient but like a real friend or a family member of their own.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We've had good experiences with both doctors and dentists. When we moved here we were 20 miles away from our doctor but we keep going to him rather than searching for a new one.

Amy Read likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Colonoscopy. Colonoscopy. It's one of those words that unless you knew the meaning could be an across the board winner in the social circles: Mrs. Agatha, how ever did you aquire that painting? It has such a colonoscopic look to it. Quite endearing! Mr. Ching, I see you are driving your Toyota, what ever happened to your Roll's? It's having the tires rotated, the brakes checked and a colonoscopy to rear framistat.

I have personally found that a colonoscopy is the answer to all things medical in the VA community. " Okay Bobby, I see that you have had 6 small heart attacks in the past that you didn't know about. I'll schedule you for a peak up your rear end. Liver problem? yup, another 30 feet up the escape hatch. Nerve damage? Only 6 feet that time. Pneumonia in the mix? Right up the chute with no drugs. PTSD? Hmmm, might be something having to do with your colon so right this way folks, into the deepest chasm of Bobby's thoughts, his posterior. The phrase, "rectum heck, dern near killed him" does have much more significance than it did prior to those investigative processes than ever before.

5 looks into the well being of my colon in 2 months revealing a couple of problems but after the problems had been solved, other than being a training dummy there was no need for me to be probed by the VA aliens from India any further. I have been told that civilian doctors offer their patients photographs of their interior tracts while the VA offers none. Perhaps they are selling the dern things to GQ or National Inquirer or holding them hostage for later postings on FB in case of a complaint. Dunno, but in case of fire, do try to put it out yourself first. Remember, firemen are closely associated with the medical community and have much, much longer tubing than your local "rectumologist" has. And, as further advice, never, never turn your back on anyone putting on rubber latex gloves while saying, "let's take a look." They're probably not going to work on your carburetor.

5. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Too funny Bobby!

6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I have three friends who are doctors and have very interesting conversations. I use them for diagnosis and treating broken bones or surgery if I needed it. That is where it ends I use their diagnosis to treat myself because they only have drugs that will only manage symptoms and they know it. One doctor quit as a doctor and went back to teaching science in the high school he got so frustrated at what they would allow him to use to help people.

Ike Willis and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I am lucky to have a sister who is a nurse and her husband is a doctor. That saves me a lot with consultations. Sometimes I even get consultations via phone calls particularly for minor problems like fever or severe cough.

But I also have a urologist who I keep in touch with about my kidney stones. For those who still do not know, I've had my first kidney stone in 1995 and I had undergone the process of lithotripsy where the stone was crushed by soundwaves. In 1999 (not sure of the year), the second occurrence of stones was discovered when I had a chill and was rushed to the hospital. That caused the second encounter with the sound wave procedure. With those 2 episodes, it is obvious that my urologist already knows me very well including my passion for eating salty foods.

8. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

First kidney stone in 1977. Passed it as they were wheeling me into the operating room. 1981, cut me open to remove a stone. Passed 7 other stones between then and 2004 when I had the last one busted up with lithotripsy. They say one of the advantages of aging is that the incidence of kidney stones drops off as you get older.
    That first one in '77, I was on a jobsite a few hours from home. Local ER gave me a shot of Morphine and sent me on my way. I was back 40 FT in the air, feeling no pain, when the crew finally got me back down on the ground. Still have a huge scar from the one taken out by surgery in '81. Long recovery from that one. Had one hit while on vacation June 17, 1994. Wife took me to an ER in Abilene, Texas. As we were setting there waiting to be admitted, noticed this police chase on television. Some guy by the name of OJ Simpson was leading an entire caravan of police cars on a "low speed" chase!"
    The last one in '04 was not fun at all. Hit early on a Friday morning. Doc said the lithotripsy machine was only in town on Wednesdays. He put in a "stent"... a tube between the kidney and bladder... doped me up and told me to come back the following Wednesday. Saturday morning, I was still pretty doped up. Had to make our tee time. Was woozy, peeing blood, and the regulars in our group couldn't understand why I was even on the golf course. My wife was pretty upset when I got back home. (Can't understand why.) The lithotripsy procedure was great. Removal of the stent a week later is another story... not for mixed company or weak stomachs!!!!

Corie Henson and Ike Willis like this.
  9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Will, that stent was recommended to me on my 3rd kidney occurrence. Take note, he was the same doctor who did the lithotripsy on me twice before. My sister who is a nurse was aghast and she said that maybe the urologist just wanted to re-learn the method because it is an old method. I changed doctors and the new urologist gave me a pill to crack the stones. It is called Sambong pills derived from the herb Sambong. When this 3rd kidney stone acted up again, I was rushed to another hospital and attended by another urologist but this time I was advised to be opened up to get a biopsy of my kidney. Again, my sister was angry. I went back to the urologist who recommended Sambong pills and he said my case is not critical as to undergo surgery.

Those are the kind of doctors I've met.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Unfortunately, under the Affordable Care Act, patient privacy protections have been gutted, and doctors have been enlisted to gather data about their patients. For example, while looking at his computer rather than you, your doctor has probably asked you if you have been depressed, and if you still do the things that you enjoy doing. These questions are asked under mandate of the government, although some doctors might be inventive enough to ask them in different ways. The purposes of these questions may go deeper than this, but one of them is so that you can be deprived of your right to own a weapon at some point in the future, due to mental instability.

One day, I answered, "Oh no, I am not in the least bit depressed and one of the things that I most enjoy doing is attending funerals so yes, I was able to attend my daughter's funeral just last week." She explained that these are questions that they are required to ask, but ever since then, she has apologized for having to ask them.

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Because I chose a Medicare Advantage plan that the Doctor I have had for so long wasn't on, I had to choose a new Doctor this year. I was kind of anxious about changing Doctor's after all this time but the truth is my old Doctor was never really one I considered a very good Doctor and she had a terrible bedside manner. Still, when you have been with someone for such a long time...and don't like change all that much...it can be stressful to make this kind of decision. I could have just chosen regular Medicare and kept my old Doctor. But the Medicare Advantage plan I chose was perfect for my needs and so I decided to go ahead and pick a new Doctor. I knew I wanted another woman Doctor and I knew I wanted one close to where I lived...so that narrowed the field down to three choices. On Feb. 1st I had my first appointment with the one I chose and I am thrilled with my choice. She is caring, compassionate, and has a wonderful bedside manner. I think we are going to live happily ever after!

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Oh no, I don't have a relationship with my doctor. She's nice enough, I suppose, but I'm married and since my wife sees the same doctor, that just wouldn't do.

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Removing teeth can be the most excruciatingly painful and frightening experiences for anyone needing the process. I KNOW.

Mari North likes this.
  14. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

True statement, @Frank Sanoica . Last time I had to get a tooth pulled, I had finally gotten myself relatively calm about going to have it done. So I got there, reminded myself that the last time years before wasn't really so horrid.

Sooooo! I'm there and the Novocaine seemed to work until a certain point at which it was like nothing I ever experienced, in addition to, I might add, childbirth. It *was* worse than labor... so I was able to indicate to them that something was wrong but then he started with the "pressure or pain" garbage I mentioned. The pressure is CAUSING the pain, man! They don't get it. Doesn't matter if it almost makes the patient faint, if it's "pressure" in their mind instead of "pain" all is well... sheesh! :rolleyes:

15. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Keep your doctor as a friend and not your health advisor because he is limited to drugs. He is the person to rely on in an emergency or for surgery when it is needed but for chronic disease he cannot cure only maintain. Be your own doctor for chronic problem with the information available through books, internet you can now more than your doctor and you are not limited to only use drugs. You need to use some common sense because there is a lot of misinformation and some comes from the medical sites. I think most doctors are good person that is why they became doctors wanting to help but then got limited in what they can do. It is called [standard of care] if they use an approved drug and they kill you the AMA will come to their rescue but if they recommended an alternative treatment they will be listed as a quack and would be left on his own. I think if you tell your doctor how you want to fix your problem and you have proof how it can be done he will probably say try it.