Writing Your Own First Book, Do You Have Experiences?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Martina Peacock, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Martina Peacock

Registered

I've noticed that there's a discussion here about blogging. But I'm opening this topic because a blog would only partially help me. Over the past few weeks, I needed to find documents from my university days. Now I've found them, but during the long search — two and a half dozen years passed — I found a manuscript I'd written. I hadn't remembered that I had started to write a novel. :) I guess that I got excited about it and left it lying around.

Now I find the whole thing more interesting ;), so I'm considering typing it out step by step in my notebook. It's a love story, and I'm thinking of setting the story and all the characters in the ancient Rome. ;) One day, I met a journalist whose crime story was set in the ancient Rome. Of course, I couldn't keep up, but I want to do my best. This time I really intend to stick with it. But do any of you have any experience of writing books? If so, I'd love to exchange ideas. :)

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Nope. I started a few but never got very far. It is easier to get published these days though, as electronic publishing doesn't require all the money that paper books do. My spouse has her mother's diary from the Depression and was trying to put it into story format, but she didn't get far (yet) either.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I've started to write a book a few times, but since most wouldn't believe it, I gave up the thought years ago.
    I do write to my grandkids and great grandkids about their great and great-great grandparents recent family history.

4. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    Yep, I've written and published some books. In fact, I have another book just about ready to go to "print". By that, I mean it's almost finished to my satisfaction. I don't use traditional paper and ink publishers much any more. I tend to do my most recent books on Kindle books and publish online. In fact, that's how I'd recommend anyone- especially a first-time writer- to get a book published.

And don't expect to get rich from writing books- that kind of thing happens, but not often, and certainly not to me.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've never even tried. I don't see how anyone can maintain a continuity of story across so many pages.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. Ed Marsh

Registered

Good morning to all-
    John- I agree. And that's why I have never attempted to do a novel. My talents just don't seem to lie in that direction. My books are all collections of essays or one-theme with development books. I think trying to hold the plot and sub-plots of a novel together would be most difficult.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

Perhaps we could collaborate on short stories, huh?

8. Ed Marsh

Registered

Good evening to all-
    Lord, John Brunner, short stories are a whole 'nother thang- as Keb'mo sang. Writing short stories is very difficult in a different way. Everything has to be super condensed and there's little time or space for development. This writing thing is not an easy way to make a dollar. Each different field has its own set of limitations and requirements. It takes a bit of training in composition and a whole lot of skill and talent to make the words fit the work.
    And I have never found anyone who I could collaborate with on any sort of writing- I think I'd make a same person go crazy.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

That gives me an idea for a story!!!

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have never written a book, although I've written some short stories as college course assignments. I have a pretty good idea of what is involved in writing a book, but I think that writing good short stories might be harder than writing a good book. In a sense, there's mathematics involved in writing a good book, since it's more than being able to tell a good story. As @Ed Marsh suggests, short stories might be harder because everything is tighter.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a great idea for a book years ago, along the lines of Fried Green Tomatoes. An older woman's difficulties, intergenerational difficulties, some survival foraging thrown in. But I think the time is passed for interest in old ways, with all the technology out there now.
    I had a few articles published in a horse magazine long ago.

Faith Bowen and John Brunner like this.